Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timeout Writing Data To Thermostat / wrong temp

Hi All,

I'm getting these errors consistently despite the fact that I can control the thermostat via serial. I've reviewed this thread a few times:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=105482

and I'm fairly confident in my wiring, however the cables are not soldered/crimped properly. Additionally the serial cable is just a ten foot serial cable cut in half. Could these errors be created from 'noise' in the cable caused by the alligator clamps and twisted leads from the serial cable or is there something else I should be looking for?

Additionally, HS reports that the thermostat is reporting -48 degrees while it shows 64 degrees on the unit itself.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason,

What address did you configure the stat for? It should be address 1 if it is the only stat on the line.

Judd

Comment

Hey Judd - thanks for the tip. It is set to 1.

I soldered the serial cable leads directly to the cable supplied with the RC80 but didn't appear to gain anything.

Any other thoughts?

Jason

Comment

I had the exact same errors and found that I had shorted the red and black communication wires together at the stat. Once my wiring was straightened out, everything works perfectly.

Scott

Comment

Hi Scott,

I just rebuilt my cable. I'm using a serial cable I cut about 2" from the female end. I stripped the wire and confirmed pins 1 through 9 using a multi-tester. I then wired it using the guide, using alligator clips to connect the appropriate wires to the red/yellow/green/black cable that came with the therm. Still no love...timeouts and -49 degrees in the plug-in. However, most changes I make using HS are successfully reflected in the therm.

Any other thoughts?

Jason

Comment

Jason,

Are you sure the address is set to "1". In the past I've usually received the -48 temp reading when the addresses don't match between the stat and the amount of stats are configured in Homeseer. What is your polling time set to? Have you tried a different serial port?

Judd

Comment

Hi Judd,

I tried two machines and different serial ports on each.

I changed the address of the therm to test and although I didn't get any errors, no status change requests made it to the thermostat. However, I'll spend more time investigating this area as it seems like you've had similar symptoms in your config.

Cheers,

jason

Comment

Jason,

Did you configure the Stat for communication to a PC? I believe this is either Option 1 or 2 in the Stat configuration options. The Stat does not come from the factory set to talk to a PC/Homeseer.

Judd

Comment

Working...
                X