Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$349 for Apple HomePod speaker and Siri-enabled assistant - Yikes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$349 for Apple HomePod speaker and Siri-enabled assistant - Yikes!

Let's see how that does against the competition
    cheeryfool

Blind brand loyalty (and I do appreciate an Apple product don't get me wrong) will probably mean it is popular regardless but to me it does not look particularly special in terms of physical appeal, at least with something like the Sonos you can work out what it is fairly easily.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
      Blind brand loyalty (and I do appreciate an Apple product don't get me wrong) will probably mean it is popular regardless but to me it does not look particularly special in terms of physical appeal, at least with something like the Sonos you can work out what it is fairly easily.
      Yeah, still waiting on the Alexa/Sonos integration promised last autumn. Although we have our fair share of Apple products, I don't think I'll be jumping for this one
      cheeryfool

Comment

Did they announce that at WWDC?

Ah... just researched. They did announce today.

The article I read did not mention anything about skills or the like nor anything like the general info searches that differentiate Google from Echo. We will see.

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
          Yeah, still waiting on the Alexa/Sonos integration promised last autumn. Although we have our fair share of Apple products, I don't think I'll be jumping for this one
          I got invited by Sonos to a private beta last month, which I decided not to do. I believe that Echo integration was part of the beta.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I think more competition is always great in the big picture. Having said this, Apple doesn't bring anything to the table in this new iteration of the product. Their Siri voice for years has been a complete fail where other companies like Amazon Alexa / Google Home have excelled.

The iSheep will no doubt run, wait days in line to purchase this over priced toy.

Apple in the last five years has pretty much been in a catch up mode when compared to other companies. Their Apple Home Kit is the perfect example of utter fail and this was proven by the mere fact they allowed vendors to negate the use of the Apple chip!!

Having to support Apple fan boyzz for so many years in the IT Industry has been something I truly wish could be rewound. The fallacy these iSheep have that Apple products don't break, require patching, are void of possible threat of viruses, trojans, insert what ever name here.

Is very comical to say . . .

In other news Apple intends to release the most expansive iPhone in recorded history breaking the $1000.00 mark easily!!

Comment

Way back I posted a You Tube video (looks to have been pulled) which was an interview with Bill Gates and David Letterman sometime before the Internet.

Most of the interview is still posted on You Tube but it has been edited (removing the Apple stuff).

David Letterman had asked Bill Gates about Apple and computer so simple that women could utilize it.

The question was if Bill Gates was going to let this happen.

He said yes in the interview.
              Last edited by Pete; August 27, 2017, 10:58 AM.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Seems you can link Echo devices into groups now for certain music services - like you can already do for Sonos, G Home etc. Will try tonight.

Still no update on the Alexa/Sonos integration
                cheeryfool

Comment

I have Sonos working with echo albeit basics.
                  I create an event in homeseer then trigger it from echo.
                  So Alexa turn on kitchen radio runs the homeseer event that starts Sonos.

Anyway I'm an Apple fan, MacBook pro' sand iPhone etc. However I think Siri is crap against Alexa and google.
                  I had high hopes for HomeKit but think Apple have got that wrong too.
                  I love the MacBook range. It just works. Over the years I've gone through a laptop every year to 18 months but MacBooks last for years. (My laptops get a hard life on industrial sites).
                  I see that has changed recently and some manufacturers have caught up.

Apple are just too expensive now in general and have lost the mojo a bit

Comment

[QUOTE=gd1210;1321500]I have Sonos working with echo albeit basics.
                    I create an event in homeseer then trigger it from echo.
                    So Alexa turn on kitchen radio runs the homeseer event that starts Sonos.

/QUOTE]

Yes, I have created a lot of Sonos control from Alexa, using Jon00's helper and events. Would be great to have native integration, though I doubt it will be as comprehensive as we'd like.
                    cheeryfool

Comment

Working...
                    X