Intermatic HA07 - as a minimote?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermatic HA07 - as a minimote?

I picked up a couple of HA07 controllers for $2 each (I know, couldn't refuse!) and have been playing around with them. I wondered if the buttons on them could be used similar to a minimote; ie using a button to control a device via an event. I searched thru the forum, but couldn't find an answer to this. Thanks!

Unfortunately this will not work. At one time you could associate one button on the remote to HS and it could be used but that was back in the HS2 days.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I kind of thought so Rupp. I can still use them elsewhere. Thanks!

Comment

Ugh, I've ended up with ten HA07 over the years (cheap/free due to bundles), four of which are still sealed in their original box and relied on them as scene-controllers on my Vera3 UI7 setup (started on UI5) and six units was enough at old location at strategic positions. They look ugly, and are clunky, and the build in LCD clock has no proper DST support after date-shift in 2007, but darn it they were useful as hell on a nightstand, side-table, or on kitchen counter to fire a scene on tactical feel of the buttons.

Used them purely for those moments where I just did not want to pick up a mobile device, such as for example the nightstand ones where '1' would force a lighted path for a night walk to the bathroom brighter than the corresponding motion sensor triggered scene, or '2' to temporarily disable the motion scene and not turn on the lights at all to avoid waking others.

Was excited to use them with HS3, because Vera3 lacks support to avoid the ALL-ON or ALL-OFF which HomeSeer can overrule in the Z-Wave tab on devices.

Fired off e-mail to HomeSeer support, and willing to cross-ship them one of the sealed units if it helps, because I can't believe that Vera3 can support these devices flawless, but that on HomeSeer I'm screwed (being a much more powerful and versatile system).

Comment

As I recall, the Vera HA07 implementation was kind of funky as well. Vera had to program the HA07 so that the HA07 thought that Vera was a dimmable lamp. So when you pressed a specific button, Vera received a specific dimmable light on command. Buttons 10, 11, 12 could not be used to trigger Vera scenes. Vera did set the HA07 to directly control ZWave lights where it could.

And this is why the off buttons worked wierdly. Off would work for ZWave devices programmed directly to the HA07, but Vera would only receive a generic "lamp off" command, with no way to determine which HA07 off button was pressed.

So in a way, I was not surprised to find that Homeseer never implemented a similar kludge to get the HA07 to work.

Comment

thank you for detailed explanation, and I can understand the hesitation against quirky workarounds, but if the programming happens on the HA07 and it turns it into a quirky "lamp" Z-Wave device, then there wouldn't be any code changes required to HomeSeer itself. For me there would be no need to setup any direct device association and make it a pure scene-controller to avoid any complications.

I'll reach out to Vera support otherwise, see if they are willing to share their solution as I might be able to manually reprogram the HA07 to communicate with HomeSeer.

These units served me well for over 5 years so I hate to just trash them.

Comment

This sounds like something a simple Arduino with push buttons either using the Arduino or MQTT plugins would be able to help with. I cannot imagine it would be too difficult if you are able to put the unit together. The worse part would be the housing. You could go full in with a touch interface if you wanted, or stay inexpensive with the push buttons. A wood, plastic project box, or 3D printed enclosure could make it either basic or a work of art. Or maybe gut the HA07 if you are inclined.
              Karl S
              HS4Pro on Windows 10
              1070 Devices
              56 Z-Wave Nodes
              104 Events
              HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
              Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Yeah if all fails I will gut them and see if I can re-purpose them as Z-Wave interfaces for Arduino projects, but not giving up hope yet.

HomeSeer support responded that their main focus remains on HS4 and everything else is pushed to the side, so I will do the same and just rely on mobile devices and other means to trigger scenes while finishing up installing about 60 more nodes. Beauty of moving into a new location is that you can start fresh, but sure takes up a lot of time amidst work/life itself. Main focus is getting everything out of old-location, as it becomes an expensive storage facility otherwise.

Comment

I never got around to making this work on the HA07s, but this does work (sort of) on the GE handheld remotes.

First copy the network map to the GE Handheld. Then use the programming steps on the handheld itself to program the "Group" buttons to turn on/off specific ZWave lights (Did not work as well for the "Scene" buttons, though).

I also found that after downloading the network map to a second GE Handheld, I could "clone" the button programming from the first handheld to the second.

Between yelling at Alexa and using the far superior HS Touch programmed tablets, I have not had the impetus to find out why the above did not work on the HA07.

For awhile when I was running both Vera and HS, I was using the HA07 to send scene commands to Vera, which in turn sent a "run event" command to HS.

Comment

Once I'm fully setup at new location, I'll have a XAP800 with multiple Beyerdynamic MPC-22SW microphones throughout the house for a total "off-line" method of voice control while still allowing Alexa control for those that prefer it in the household. Then I got two 21" all-in-one Acer touchscreen systems at primary locations of entertainment room side-table, and my office for a quick view on stats/alerts/camera-feeds, as well as multiple tablets loose or fixed to walls through the home.

But I'm still fond on the clunky HA07 due to getting familiar over the years on their tactical feel in a dark room, and unlike an AeonLabs mini-mote magically disappearing at times, they would remain put

Comment

Working...
                    X