X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can you post the log snippet surrounding the error in context
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

See attached log. Thanks.
      Attached Files

Comment

the error in the log isn't related to your device being deleted and recreated.

do the devices get recreated every time you restart the plugin or hs?
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

It happens when the machine is rebooted. I tested disabling/enabling the Insteon plug-in, and it does not happen in that case.

Comment

Originally posted by blueline View Post
            It happens when the machine is rebooted. I tested disabling/enabling the Insteon plug-in, and it does not happen in that case.
            if this happens when the machine is rebooted, I think the insteon.ini is getting deleted or purged. You need to figure out why this is happening.
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I rebooted the pc, and the insteon.ini is untouched throughout the process. When I restart HS3, about 3/4 of the way through the HS3 startup, the insteon.ini gets touched and has new timestamp.

Comment

the insteon.ini is going to get updated even during startup (lastcontact gets updated). But nothing should be deleted from the file. Did the "create device" log entries occur after this reboot?
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I deleted the log file, and it didn't write out a new one. I created an empty logfile, but it still doesn't write to it. I also downgraded to 3.0.5.20, and the event issue still happens. I'm tempted to uninstall and reinstall HS3, but I'm not sure whether that will solve the problem.

Comment

I deleted the log file, and it didn't write out a new one. I created an empty logfile, but it still doesn't write to it. I also downgraded to 3.0.5.20, and the event issue still happens. I'm tempted to uninstall and reinstall HS3, but I'm not sure whether that will solve the problem.
                    you don't need to reinstalled hs3 or plugin, but it might be worth starting with a new blank homeseer database and blank insteon.ini as a test.
                    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I started with a blank Homeseer database and existing insteon.ini. I had to rebuild all of the events from scratch, but the ids are no longer being changed. Hopefully, it won't happen again. Thanks for your help.

Comment

I started with a blank Homeseer database and existing insteon.ini. I had to rebuild all of the events from scratch, but the ids are no longer being changed. Hopefully, it won't happen again. Thanks for your help.
                        thanks for reporting back. please post back if you further issues.
                        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I just went thru a recovery after several power fails. Restoring the homeseer Db and the corresponding insteon.ini worked just fine. I backup after every config change and it payed off big time.

Mark, this was recoverable but certainly not the behavior we want.

You mentioned in the other thread that HS3 managed the insteon.ini file. Why is that?

I was happy that the HS3 backup did seem to grab all the plugin config files so I had a complete point in time backup. But that really only needs them to know the name of your file and the ability to create a copy.

My experience is that file corruption after unexpected system restart is commonly due to handles being open with write access and not flushing buffers on every write. In the old days, we would close the handle after a write on critical data. Had to balance that with performance and data integrity. These days, don't need to worry so much about that but still a consideration. In my recent failure situation, nothing had been changed (in terms of configuration) in either HS3 or your plugin since I last backed it up (3 days ago). So who left the files in a state that would allow corruption. If you aren't writing to your .ini file in the course of normal operations, it would not seem to be you. If you aren't in control of the .ini, then whoever is should be managing it in a responsible manner.

In this day and age, system restarts should be safe. But.. it is up to the app designers to take that into consideration.

I bet you have thoughts on this and I'd really like to hear them.

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
                            I just went thru a recovery after several power fails. Restoring the homeseer Db and the corresponding insteon.ini worked just fine. I backup after every config change and it payed off big time.

Mark, this was recoverable but certainly not the behavior we want.

You mentioned in the other thread that HS3 managed the insteon.ini file. Why is that?

I was happy that the HS3 backup did seem to grab all the plugin config files so I had a complete point in time backup. But that really only needs them to know the name of your file and the ability to create a copy.

My experience is that file corruption after unexpected system restart is commonly due to handles being open with write access and not flushing buffers on every write. In the old days, we would close the handle after a write on critical data. Had to balance that with performance and data integrity. These days, don't need to worry so much about that but still a consideration. In my recent failure situation, nothing had been changed (in terms of configuration) in either HS3 or your plugin since I last backed it up (3 days ago). So who left the files in a state that would allow corruption. If you aren't writing to your .ini file in the course of normal operations, it would not seem to be you. If you aren't in control of the .ini, then whoever is should be managing it in a responsible manner.

In this day and age, system restarts should be safe. But.. it is up to the app designers to take that into consideration.

I bet you have thoughts on this and I'd really like to hear them.
                            I basically use the hs3 ini read/write functions. My understanding is that hs3 caches the ini file in memory but i'm not 100% sure when anything is written to disk.
                            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I think there is potentially a twofold problem...

First, for the record, I am using 3.0.6.0 of the plugin and I don't see any redundant copies of the Insteon.ini file like described in this thread. Should they be in the same folder as Insteon.ini?

1. In my case, I will spontaneously find the situation where the Insteon.ini has basically been reset to default with no port defined and no devices. Consequently, all corresponding Insteon devices in homeseer have also vanished.

2. On occasion, I also see that the long and lat settings have been whacked back to the defaults for the timezone. I had previously manually set them to get proper sunrise/sunset times. Defined events and such remain.

3. On occasion, I find that all plugins become disabled. I also intermittently find errors on the manage page for plugins where insteon or zwave plugins will indicate it couldn't communicate with the device after startup...and yet a simple disable and enable of the plugins resolves the issue. I think that could be a timing issue where perhaps the homeseer startup is getting ahead of device init and perhaps the devices become available after plugins have attempted to be started. I have tried to find a way with scripting to disable and re-enable plugins but can't seem to figure out how. thinking at least I could have an event to trigger remotely...but sometimes hstouch shows disabled also. annoyed.

4. I notices that one or more of these problems appears after using the tools->system option to restart the system. How else can you ensure a clean shutdown and restart on a Pi3 headless system?

HS2 rocked and rolled so nicely for so many years. I am not so enchanted with HS3 with these issues. Granted, I'm now using a Pi3 instead of a PC...however these issues seem to be reported cross platform. I emailed homeseer support about two weeks ago about related issues and no response as of yet. I suppose I will have to make some time to call them during the week. For me this is unacceptable. I travel internationally at times and need for homeseer / insteon plugin / zwave plugins to do their job.

sorry for venting a little. just really frustrated.

Comment

Originally posted by martinl78 View Post
                                I think there is potentially a twofold problem...

First, for the record, I am using 3.0.6.0 of the plugin and I don't see any redundant copies of the Insteon.ini file like described in this thread. Should they be in the same folder as Insteon.ini?

1. In my case, I will spontaneously find the situation where the Insteon.ini has basically been reset to default with no port defined and no devices. Consequently, all corresponding Insteon devices in homeseer have also vanished.

2. On occasion, I also see that the long and lat settings have been whacked back to the defaults for the timezone. I had previously manually set them to get proper sunrise/sunset times. Defined events and such remain.

3. On occasion, I find that all plugins become disabled. I also intermittently find errors on the manage page for plugins where insteon or zwave plugins will indicate it couldn't communicate with the device after startup...and yet a simple disable and enable of the plugins resolves the issue. I think that could be a timing issue where perhaps the homeseer startup is getting ahead of device init and perhaps the devices become available after plugins have attempted to be started. I have tried to find a way with scripting to disable and re-enable plugins but can't seem to figure out how. thinking at least I could have an event to trigger remotely...but sometimes hstouch shows disabled also. annoyed.

4. I notices that one or more of these problems appears after using the tools->system option to restart the system. How else can you ensure a clean shutdown and restart on a Pi3 headless system?

HS2 rocked and rolled so nicely for so many years. I am not so enchanted with HS3 with these issues. Granted, I'm now using a Pi3 instead of a PC...however these issues seem to be reported cross platform. I emailed homeseer support about two weeks ago about related issues and no response as of yet. I suppose I will have to make some time to call them during the week. For me this is unacceptable. I travel internationally at times and need for homeseer / insteon plugin / zwave plugins to do their job.

sorry for venting a little. just really frustrated.
                                yah, things are little different in HS3, that's sure.

as for the backups of the insteon.ini file, please post #4 on the following thread

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=189540

you basically need to setup an event to make the backups
                                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                                X