This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2413U died - How do you replace it?

My Insteon 2413U seems to have died last night. No light and it doesn't control anything from HS3. The system sees it go and come back on COM6 if I unplug it, but Mark's Insteon Plugin says it can't see it.

It is not responsive to any HS3 commands sent from HS3 or incoming.

I bought another and it's on the way, but how do I replace it with regard to the HS3 Plug-in? Do I just plug it in in place of the old one and carry on, or do I have to re-scan all the Insteon devices and reprogram it? Will my Device IDs be the same?

On a related note, I have one Insteon switch that when turned on/off flashes RED on the LEDs. No others do this. So, I bought a replacement dimmer switch, too, because I'm wondering if this switch may be jabbering in Insteon-speak and that is causing problems. No power glitches have occurred as far as I know.

Any tips from someone who's changed one of these out? From Mark? Thanks in advance!

You can disable your red flashing switch by pulling out the little clear button on the switch. You'll need a very small screwdriver to pull it out. Once pulled out, it shuts off the power to the switch (with an actual physical electrical contact) so it can not communicate. See if that changes the functioning of your PLM. If a switch is hogging the line, the plug-in has trouble talking to the PLM.

If you do need to change the PLM, Mark has provided a handy button on the main Insteon configuration page called "Program Replacement/Swapped Interface" for exactly that purpose. It does all the wired devices automatically, and it will pause and tell you to put each wireless device (remotes, motion sensors, water leak sensors, etc) into program mode before proceeding. Caution: make sure you take the wireless devices out of program mode before proceeding to the next device (press its set button twice so the LED stops flashing). Otherwise the device still in program mode will pick up the settings for the next device and start responding to the wrong commands.

Comment

Originally posted by dzee View Post
      My Insteon 2413U seems to have died last night. No light and it doesn't control anything from HS3. The system sees it go and come back on COM6 if I unplug it, but Mark's Insteon Plugin says it can't see it.

It is not responsive to any HS3 commands sent from HS3 or incoming.
      have you tried a factory reset on the plm?

if the plugin sees it after the reset, you can use the Update Interface Database button on the config page to reprogram it.
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
        have you tried a factory reset on the plm?

if the plugin sees it after the reset, you can use the Update Interface Database button on the config page to reprogram it.
        Mark, thank you, that worked! I just had to stop/start the plug in after doing so.

This was the first time that had happened so I did not want to reset the device until I understood what I had to do to restore the settings. I guess I have a spare on the way now.

The switch that was blinking red no longer does. Does that indicate it could not communicate to the PLM, because no other switches did it?

Thanks again
        DZee

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Comment

The switch that was blinking red no longer does. Does that indicate it could not communicate to the PLM, because no other switches did it?
          glad its working again.

I believe you are correct regarding the red flashing led. If it returns, you might factory reset the switch and use the "Reprogram Device" button on the Edit device page within the plugin for the specific switch.
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Insteon Plug-in Greatness

Mark, I'm using about a dozen plugins, and just wanted to say thanks again for the reliability, simplicity of use, and broad array of conditions your plugin can address.

Thanks for making a great product.

Comment

Mark, I'm using about a dozen plugins, and just wanted to say thanks again for the reliability, simplicity of use, and broad array of conditions your plugin can address.

Thanks for making a great product.
              Thanks for your support
              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Mark, thank you, that worked! I just had to stop/start the plug in after doing so.

This was the first time that had happened so I did not want to reset the device until I understood what I had to do to restore the settings. I guess I have a spare on the way now....
                You'll probably need that spare soon. I've had a couple of mine loose their memory like yours. Like yours, the reset and reprogram worked the first few times, but eventually even that wouldn't restore them. My very unproven theory is that the FLASH memory in the PLM wears out and begins to corrupt.

Note that if yours is less than version 2, then the new PLM has stronger communication and you may want to go ahead and swap it out now.

Comment

Determining PLM 2413U Version

Originally posted by joegr View Post
                  You'll probably need that spare soon. I've had a couple of mine loose their memory like yours. Like yours, the reset and reprogram worked the first few times, but eventually even that wouldn't restore them. My very unproven theory is that the FLASH memory in the PLM wears out and begins to corrupt.

Note that if yours is less than version 2, then the new PLM has stronger communication and you may want to go ahead and swap it out now.
                  How do I find out what version I have?

Comment

How do I find out what version I have?
                    hardware versions are on a sticker on the outside of the device.

it's either v1.x or v2.x on a plm
                    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Died Again

joegr,

You called it. Last night it stopped working again. Same symptoms, only after repeated retries of the reset button, including disconnecting/reconnecting it from power & USB, I still can't get it to go. The replacement arrives today.

Mark,

Is the procedure the same if I swap out the PLM with the new one? Do I just click that Update Interface Database button after I make sure the hardware is seen and the port settings are correct?

Seems I'm talking to the right experts on this. Thanks to both of you for your insights and advice.

Comment

there is a swap interface button on the config page.

once you get the new plm connected, and the plugin can see it, run this routine.

it will ask for the old plm id.

you can run this routine more than once if it misses a few devices or has trouble.

the routine will effectively replace the old insteon id in device links with the new id
                        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

dzee,

how did the swap go?
                          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Still Waiting for the Swap

I received a 2413S (serial) instead of a 2413U (USB) from the vendor, so I sent it back, but I'm not going to receive the 2413U until next Friday. Couldn't find anyone who could get it here faster without paying a lot for expedited shipping.

I'll let you know when I do the swap. In the meantime, I have no Insteon. I found an Insteon Ethernet PLM I head laying around. Any way that will work with the plugin?

Comment

No that interface isn't supported

Is your 2413u completely dead
                              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                              X