Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Hue hub is expensive and its a closed system. Currently, the Osram bulbs do not work with it (they did at one point). Osram is dedicated to support anything that supports the LightLink Zigbee spec so its very open. Many more devices are coming for it. That is why we choose it. Low cost and open, its a good place to start. If we can find a good direct solution, we will offer that. There really isn't anything viable out there yet that works under .Net. Of course, if there is, please let us know!

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post
    I sorta like that you guys made this plugin. Initially I was disappointed you spent valuable time and resources replicating something that is already done. Then I thought more about what you did.

I am not sure you are aware that the Hue bridge works with the bulbs you list, and so does the Jowihue plugin? They do. So its been possible to do anything you mention here, and a lot more, using Zigbee, for a long time. I, and others, have mentioned this a few times in these Zigbee threads.

So why then, as a Hue/JowiHue user do I like that homeseer made this Zigbee plugin?

Because you added support for another companies' hub to Homeseer. In an HST plugin.

I do think plugin is not named correctly though. This plugin should be called the Osram Lightify plugin. I think it is a little confusing to call it a Zigbee plugin, unless you plan on supporting other hubs/dongles that use Zigbee with this plugin. Really this would be confusing for end users that don't even realize when Zigbee is actually being used--Hue for example. It makes sense for Z-wave since people set out to buy Zwave stuff since it mostly all works together. And z-wave stuff is not only labeled on the box as such, it is marked as such. That same scenario will definitely not be the case with this plugin and Zigbee. Whereas calling it the Osram Lightify plugin makes perfect sense. You have the Osram app, it tells you what works and doesn't. At no point is Zigbee mentioned, on the box, in the app, or in the marketing material.

Homeseer actually already works with a lot of cloud hardware. Here are some hub like things I can think of and their current HS interface status:
    • Wink--Only via IFTTT
    • Smartthings--Only via IFTTT
    • Hue--JowiHue--Excellent support
    • Harmony Hub--Rien Plugin--Recent access to official API
    • Alexa--Excellent HST integration
    • Nest--Spud plugin
    • Google Home--Only via IFTTT
    • MS surface Home--None
    • HomeKit--Recently pulled
    • Sonos--Not cloud, but interfaces to cloud music--well supported by Sonos plugin
    • Neatatmo--Supported by two (Ultra) plugins, one for weather, the other for Camera/presence
    • Chaimberlain Garage Door gateway--Supported by King Fetty Plugin

Notice that the plugins are named after the HW device they support, not the transport technology.

It would be nice if Homeseer worked directly with all of these hubs, or next best thing, directly with the corresponding cloud API, rather than through IFTTT.

Please consider changing the name of this plugin to Osram Lightify. In this one case it might be good you had your head in the clouds.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

The Lightify PRO gateway appears to have a direct API that does not rely on the cloud; https://eu.lightify-api.org/home-ui/...T)_EN_2016.pdf

Just need to import some gateways for us to purchase from you in the US
      Last edited by blake; December 29, 2016, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
        The Hue hub is expensive and its a closed system. Currently, the Osram bulbs do not work with it (they did at one point). Osram is dedicated to support anything that supports the LightLink Zigbee spec so its very open. Many more devices are coming for it. That is why we choose it. Low cost and open, its a good place to start. If we can find a good direct solution, we will offer that. There really isn't anything viable out there yet that works under .Net. Of course, if there is, please let us know!

Hue hub is $60, Osram is $30. Not a huge difference. The GE link bulbs definitely work with the hue hub. I use them all the time. Those are an extremely good value because of their build quality/price. Not sure I'll try the osram bulbs as they seem rather expensive comparatively.

At any rate, glad you made this plugin.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
        Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
        Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Rich,

Like jlrichard was saying, it should not be named as HSZigbee. The plugin is not connecting with the zigbee protocol, but to IP and as such not able to 'talk' Zigbee. The Zwave plugin is actually performing the Zwave protocol, so there the name is not confusing users.

This plugin is depending on a branded hub (Osram) and not on protocol. For clarity I would expect the name to point to the brand.

Once you get to be able to address the protocol directly through USB etc, you would need to replace/rewrite the plugin anyway, so why not use a clear name now?

Wim
          -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

I would rather say that the Osram bulbs did NOT*work at some point (since Philips pulled the support).
            Osram Lightify*have been working again since Philips realized the mistake and reversed the decision. That was one year ago: Dec 9th 2015.

The hue API documentation provides the full documentation of the API for the hue system.
            The API is versatile enough to have more than 450 third party apps available for the Hue.

Edit:*Seems that the Lightify/Osram support is only valid for*EU versions.
            Last edited by aeklo; December 29, 2016, 07:29 AM. Reason: Correction

Comment

Originally posted by aeklo View Post
              I would rather say that the Osram bulbs did NOT*work at some point (since Philips pulled the support).
              Osram Lightify*have been working again since Philips realized the mistake and reversed the decision. That was one year ago: Dec 9th 2015.

The hue API documentation provides the full documentation of the API for the hue system.
              The API is versatile enough to have more than 450 third party apps available for the Hue.
              Aeklo,

There needs to be a clarification added to this

Connecting Osram to Philips Hue is only working for the EU version of Osram Lightify, not for the US version. This is caused by Osram as they are implementing a newer version of the Zigbee (ZLL) protocol (v3)
              And rumours are that Osram might also pull the connection to Philips Hue for EU versions for this version as well sometime soon.
              No word yet from Philips on this newer version of the protocol, so I do not know if/when Philips is planning to change. They were part of the development of this newer version.

Thanks,

Wim
              Last edited by w.vuyk; December 29, 2016, 07:24 AM.
              -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Yes, you are correct, Phillips only pulled the support for 1 version...everyone screamed and they immediately reverted in the next build.

Comment

Originally posted by w.vuyk View Post
                  Aeklo,

There needs to be a clarification added to this

Connecting Osram to Philips Hue is only working for the EU version of Osram Lightify, not for the US version. This is caused by Osram as they are implementing a newer version of the Zigbee (ZLL) protocol (v3)
                  And rumours are that Osram might also pull the connection to Philips Hue for EU versions for this version as well sometime soon.
                  No word yet from Philips on this newer version of the protocol, so I do not know if/when Philips is planning to change. They were part of the development of this newer version.

Thanks,

Wim
                  Good point! I was not*aware of the EU/US difference on Lightify.
                  Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by w.vuyk View Post
                    Rich,

Like jlrichard was saying, it should not be named as HSZigbee. The plugin is not connecting with the zigbee protocol, but to IP and as such not able to 'talk' Zigbee. The Zwave plugin is actually performing the Zwave protocol, so there the name is not confusing users.

This plugin is depending on a branded hub (Osram) and not on protocol. For clarity I would expect the name to point to the brand.

Once you get to be able to address the protocol directly through USB etc, you would need to replace/rewrite the plugin anyway, so why not use a clear name now?

Wim
                    Well, the zwave plugin connects to a zwave controller the same way HSZigbee connects to a zigbee controller. Neither is direct.

The difference is that the zwave plugin can connect to multiple controllers (smartstick+, aeon stick, z-net, etc.) whereas the zigbee plugin currently only connects to one.

HomeSeer might be expanding this plugin in the future to connect to multiple zigbee controllers (or hubs) in which case the current name would be appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by aptalca View Post
                      Well, the zwave plugin connects to a zwave controller the same way HSZigbee connects to a zigbee controller. Neither is direct.

The difference is that the zwave plugin can connect to multiple controllers (smartstick+, aeon stick, z-net, etc.) whereas the zigbee plugin currently only connects to one.

HomeSeer might be expanding this plugin in the future to connect to multiple zigbee controllers (or hubs) in which case the current name would be appropriate.

This is true, but that one controller connects to 100s of different branded devices. To me this sounds like you will have to buy a different controller to support different branded zigbee devices, which in turn you are still connecting to it outside of your network to make it work, so what have you gained here?

This is the biggest problem wth zigbee, it's so segmented because the protocol allows it to be.

Make a plugin that works with a zigbee USB stick that I can go and buy an iris door sensor and a hue lightbulb and have it work like zwave and you have a zigbee plugin. Otherwise all you have done here is tapped into an API across the internet to come back to another vendors device to control a light. My Amazon echo already does this same thing very well.

Comment

Zigbee is a mess in regards to compatibility. You mention Iris, we looked at the Iris devices, and while it is possible to control them with a standard Zigbee interface, they made changes to the protocol so the devices only work on an Iris network. It will be really hard to create a Zigbee interface that works with everything unless you do some reverse engineering.

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                        This is true, but that one controller connects to 100s of different branded devices. To me this sounds like you will have to buy a different controller to support different branded zigbee devices, which in turn you are still connecting to it outside of your network to make it work, so what have you gained here?

This is the biggest problem wth zigbee, it's so segmented because the protocol allows it to be.

Make a plugin that works with a zigbee USB stick that I can go and buy an iris door sensor and a hue lightbulb and have it work like zwave and you have a zigbee plugin. Otherwise all you have done here is tapped into an API across the internet to come back to another vendors device to control a light. My Amazon echo already does this same thing very well.
                        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Zigbee is a mess in regards to compatibility. You mention Iris, we looked at the Iris devices, and while it is possible to control them with a standard Zigbee interface, they made changes to the protocol so the devices only work on an Iris network. It will be really hard to create a Zigbee interface that works with everything unless you do some reverse engineering.
                          Don't get me wrong Rich, I am not trying to come down on you guys. I know you have put a lot of effort into zigbee development. I just think it hard to call this a zigbee plugin.

Because zigbee can lock you out unless you are in the vendor's ecosystem, I highly doubt you will ever make a lot of ground with zigbee in the way that you guys have been able to do with the zwave protocol.

Personally here I am not against buying a different controller for different equipment. My current system has at least 3 different controllers connected to equipment back to HS. This is just the reality of HA in its current form right now.

Comment

http://press.ikea.se/ikea-lanserar-t...art-belysning/
                            The products are using ZigBee Light Link.

Comment

I guess that partly answers my question about the types of devices that will be controlled. I am most interested in the non-lighting zigbee devices. . .which seem to be cheaper when purchased from Lowes (Iris - Zigbee and Wifi), especially motion detection and their smart button, and they have devices I often don't find offered with ZWave connectivity.

Of course, I am also seeing a lot more WiFi connected devices (cheaper smart plugs/Halo smoke detection/etc) that I would love to integrate into HS directly (not via cloud services). . .but I still haven't jumped into the plugin world to implement my own integration.

I have seen some mention of directly/locally integrating with SmartThings to get access to Zigbee devices. Unfortunately, I understand that this might be considered "connecting" with an enemy. . .

Comment

Okay, I'm stuck!

I've bought a Lightify Gateway, and had to get it replaced as the first was not working. The second one is working properly, and I've added a Lightifyy RGBW-bulb to it and I can control it from the app.

However, I'm not able to get HS to communicate with the Lightify cloud. I'm sure the serial number is correct, and also the username and password.

But I still get "Test was not successful." when I press the "Test Cloud Connection" button, and this is in the log:
                                Code:
                                ZigBee Error: There was an exception retreiving the authorization token
                                What do I do now?
                                HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                                Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                                on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                                WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Working...
                                X