Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the heck is going on with the Navy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teken View Post
    What these incidents come across to me is literally every person on the ship F^cked off and left their station. Perhaps they left the ship in auto steer who really knows!!
    I think it is likely that most people react to these events with similar outrage and incredulity. How could it happen? . . .Again!!!

Your suggested cause might hold for one incident, but to have similar collisions happen on both the Fitzgerald and the McCain (and the Lake Champlain) implies a much deeper problem. It's not just what they did wrong, though that is critical, but how could it be that with all the scrutiny that followed the Fitzgerald collision they were not under extremely tight supervision and control. If discipline is in the sorry state you describe, then no one on the ship nor none of their superiors in the fleet are doing the job expected of them.

It's not just the grunts on duty at the time. Not just the sailors on one ship. Or three . . . or four. (There was also the grounding of the Antietam to consider.) I'm pretty sure the Navy is worried there is a much more serious and systemic problem. That's certainly what has me concerned.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Did any more information come out about this incident?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
        Did any more information come out about this incident?
        AFAIK the primary argument (excuse?) has been overworked crews combined with inadequate training that has resulted from over extending the Navy to counter advances by other countries (China?) in the Pacific, coupled with budget sequestration and the lack of an official federal budget. (Funding the military with 'continuing resolutions' does not provide any basis for long-term planning nor the funding of multi-year programs.)

My take is that the military appear to be agreeing to undertake challenging new activities knowing that they do not have the capacity to carry them out, because saying 'No' is not an option.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Yeah, I saw this statement. But it still does not address the issue of what actually happened. Human error or mechanical/electronic problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
          2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

My impression is that it was largely human error, but was coupled to a variety of other circumstances. One of those was that the Fitzgerald and McCain were designed to create smaller-than-normal radar reflections to disguise their size and distance. A useful feature in a battle, perhaps, but not helpful if you want other ships to avoid running into you in a busy shipping lane. Another factor is that US military ships do not (did not?) routinely turn on their transponders, again, making it difficult for other ships to detect and avoid them, and increasing the importance of being aware of every other ship in the vicinity as well as their courses and their speeds.

Comment

Probably sailing and texting...

Actually wouldn't be surprised.

Robert
              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                Probably sailing and texting...

Actually wouldn't be surprised.

Robert
                Navy Releases Collision Report for USS Fitzgerald and USS John S McCain Collisions
                http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=103130

Comment

Thanks for posting this. Very informative!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X