Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zigbee Thermostat and Smarthings. Sigh.

Hey folks,

First off, excuse my ignorance here. Zigbee is a totally foreign concept for me. Everything I've used thus far has been z-wave or insteon.

I am in the process of completely gutting and automating my new house. See the main thread here. If you have advice on any of the other questions feel free to chime in.

So now for Zigbee. I am looking at a thermostat to go with the Ecovent smart vents. The Zen Thermostat is both zigbee and wifi. The ecovent people say that's the best solution because the smart vent/hvac system will still function properly even if the wifi goes down. Does anyone have experience with this thermostat and is there any chance of control through HS that doesn't require IFTTT?

The other thing I am looking at is smart appliances. The two options I see available are Samsung or GE. I really really like the Samsung offerings. They seem to work with "Smartthings" which I believe is also a zigbee hub. The GE products seem to have a much broader range of compatibility. Has anyone used one of the samsung or ge products? Any thoughts on integrating them with HS that isn't the IFTTT hack?

I would be willing to by a smarthings hub or zigbee USB stick or whatever to facilitate the process, just need to know what does and does not work.

Blackbeard

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Hey folks,

First off, excuse my ignorance here. Zigbee is a totally foreign concept for me. Everything I've used thus far has been z-wave or insteon.

I am in the process of completely gutting and automating my new house. See the main thread here. If you have advice on any of the other questions feel free to chime in.

So now for Zigbee. I am looking at a thermostat to go with the Ecovent smart vents. The Zen Thermostat is both zigbee and wifi. The ecovent people say that's the best solution because the smart vent/hvac system will still function properly even if the wifi goes down. Does anyone have experience with this thermostat and is there any chance of control through HS that doesn't require IFTTT?

The other thing I am looking at is smart appliances. The two options I see available are Samsung or GE. I really really like the Samsung offerings. They seem to work with "Smartthings" which I believe is also a zigbee hub. The GE products seem to have a much broader range of compatibility. Has anyone used one of the samsung or ge products? Any thoughts on integrating them with HS that isn't the IFTTT hack?

I would be willing to by a smarthings hub or zigbee USB stick or whatever to facilitate the process, just need to know what does and does not work.

Blackbeard
    Blackbeard,

This plugin supports Zigbee through the Philips Hue bridge and the RaspBee an Conbee gateways with deCONZ software. With deCONZ you have the highest chance thermostats will be supported, but this software is still in development, so it will be in the future, not yet at this moment. You would have to push the developers a bit on github maybe.

As for Smarthings, this plugin does not support smarthings per se, but it might support the zigbee devices that can connect as long they support the HA 1.2 protocol and/or Zigbee 3.0 specifications.

As for GE, their Zigbee bulbs are already supported on the deCONZ software base.

Thanks,

Wim
    -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

I was under the impression you could connect Homeseer through wifi to Zen, but I absolutely could be wrong.

On another note, let me know if you do this setup and how it goes. I have an Ecovemt system and use Sensi thermostats. I was just informed about the new Zen support today from Ecovent support, but don't believe I'd get benefit moving to Zen just yet. I also previously had nest for many years, and for a while with Ecovent.

I do wish Ecovent would expose am API so we can use it with HS! :-)

Let me know how it goes and if you have any Ecovent questions or cool experiences. :-)

Comment

Working...
      X