z-wave thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

z-wave thermostat

for some reason when I try and get data from my z-wave thermostat, I am getting wrong readouts.

I wrote a this simple script:
    dim temp
    temp = hs.ControlThermostat("H1","GetTemp",0)
    hs.SetDeviceString "v3",temp

Unfortunately, it returns the value of -1.

The readout on H1 shows the actual temp at 81 degrees.

What am I missing?

I tried it!

I also have zwave thermostats and I did not work for me either.

I tried taking a look at the zstat.htm (zwave polling script) where there is a "gettemp" function that gets called when your zwave device gets updated. It doesn't use the controlthermostat function but rather does something with the raw zwave info.

Of course you could always get the current (almost current) temp from the thermostat's device string but I am guessing you want to do more than just that.
    Last edited by jasv; June 29, 2005, 07:12 PM.
    James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

Originally posted by dhanford
      for some reason when I try and get data from my z-wave thermostat, I am getting wrong readouts.

I wrote a this simple script:
      dim temp
      temp = hs.ControlThermostat("H1","GetTemp",0)
      hs.SetDeviceString "v3",temp

Unfortunately, it returns the value of -1.

The readout on H1 shows the actual temp at 81 degrees.

What am I missing?
      I can vouch that this works with the RCS TX 15/16B tstat scripts so I would assume it should work with the Z-Wave script. I would file a help request on this one.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

A work-around

I was able to get the following to work.

dim temp
        temp = hs.RunEx("zstat.thm","getTemp", "t1")
        hs.writelog "temptest.txt", "temp = " & temp

It correctly gave me the temperature for my zwave thermostat.
        James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

James,
          Out of curiosity how long does that command take. When I issue a get temp for my X10 tstat it takes about 2 seconds. I was curious if the Z-Wave interface was faster.

Comment

WooHoo!! That works.

Thanks a million. Now for the fun stuff.

Comment

Bad News on speed

Rupp,
              The z-wave interface is very fast for modules but painfully slow for thermostats. It took about 18 seconds to get the temp.
              James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

Bummer ...

Comment

Bummer indeed,

I was seriously considering the TZ-16 but I need to install 8 in one house. I have a TXB-16 and it works fine but uses a whole housecode. I had hoped the zwave device would solve that problem. My problem is the inability of routing wire from my data and security closet to all the air handlers in the house.

I may have to go that route to get good results but I had to tear up sheetrock if I don't have to.

TNichols

Comment

What about using cat5. This tstat uses cat 5 to connect to your lan.
                    http://www.smarthome.com/3054.html

Comment

I have looked at cat5 but that would require running cat5 from the data closet to each of the HVAC closets. Not easy and would require sheetrock work in many cases. If I were to run cable, I would use the HAI thermostats connected to my HAI panel. I'm looking for a method to do this without a lot of wiring.

Thanks,

TNichols

Comment

Working...
                      X