This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speech CPL & HS Speech Client Failure when HS2.1 runs as Service

I've just setup a new instance of WinXP SP2 and installed very little, only support applications/drivers, such as Alcohol and nVidia drivers, including all the post SP2 service packs. So I can't imagine I've installed anything that would cause what I'm reporting. What prompted this action was several failures, one of which was the HS Speaker application not working at all -- I'm certain something was corrupt, so to test this theory I figured I would start from scratch and see what happens.

The fresh installation of WinXP seems to be working fine after I've installed HS2.1.104. My Speaker Client worked flawlessly, recognized the attention command and speaks as expected when HS is not running as a service. Note that I can go to control panel and successfully launch the Speech applet. When I enable the Run As Service feature of HS and restart Windows, I notice something strange. The HS Speaker Client loads, but freezes and has to be terminated if I press the Start Listening button. Oddly enough, I go to Control Panel and attempt to start the Speech applet and I get the following message:

An exception occurred when trying to run "%WINDIR%\system32\shell32.dll, Control_RunDLL "%PROGRAMFILES%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Speech\sapi.cpl", Speech"

I attempted to search the MSKB and only found the following article which did not pertain nor help my situation: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906373/en-us

Instead, I simply turned off the Run as Service feature in HS, restarted Windows and the world was right again. I'm at a loss for determining what might be causing this problem, but naturally, several other resource website recommended renaming keys, reinstalling this and that, etc. In the end, if all I have to do is Run As Server or not Run As Service to cause/resolve this problem, respectively, then HS is must be the root cause, would it not?

Thoughts or recommendations anyone? I would like to run HS as a service, but I'd also like to have the speech working too.

Are there any clues in the event viewer when you receive the error? What account are you starting the HS service with? Is it an administrator account?
    It could also be an incompatibility with the speaker app and the sound card drivers. Do you have another sound card to test with?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

The message I receive is as follows. I've also attached a picture of the messages as it happens. If the speaker drivers didn't work, why would all this work outside of running as a service. Speaker.exe works great otherwise. Sorry about the ZIP file, but the jpg was tool large according to this board. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I feel like I'm missing something simply, but I just don't see it.

Event Type: Error
      Event Source: Application Hang
      Event Category: (101)
      Event ID: 1002
      Date: 8/28/2006
      Time: 9:07:07 PM
      User: N/A
      Computer: RATNER01
      Description:
      Hanging application Speaker.exe, version 2.1.104.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
      Data:
      0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
      0008: 69 6f 6e 20 48 61 6e 67 ion Hang
      0010: 20 20 53 70 65 61 6b 65 Speake
      0018: 72 2e 65 78 65 20 32 2e r.exe 2.
      0020: 31 2e 31 30 34 2e 30 20 1.104.0
      0028: 69 6e 20 68 75 6e 67 61 in hunga
      0030: 70 70 20 30 2e 30 2e 30 pp 0.0.0
      0038: 2e 30 20 61 74 20 6f 66 .0 at of
      0040: 66 73 65 74 20 30 30 30 fset 000
      0048: 30 30 30 30 30 00000
      Attached Files

Comment

Are you trying to run the speaker.exe as a service?

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
          Are you trying to run the speaker.exe as a service?
          Nope. I launch it from the start menu.

Comment

Are you running any anti virus software?

Comment

Disabled and unloaded to see if that was the problem. Nothing.

Comment

Working...
              X