Thermostat/sensor interoperability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermostat/sensor interoperability

I got the mail about the thermostats being on sale, which is perfect timing, since the wife would rather do the thermo over other things at this point.

Last sale I grabbed a bunch of HSMs. How well, if at all, do the HSMs and the thermo plugins play well with each other?

The goal is to use room temp, ave floor temp, and room occupancy to determine if the AC needs to come on, and ultimately where the air will go.

Originally posted by BootsC5 View Post
    I got the mail about the thermostats being on sale, which is perfect timing, since the wife would rather do the thermo over other things at this point.

Last sale I grabbed a bunch of HSMs. How well, if at all, do the HSMs and the thermo plugins play well with each other?

The goal is to use room temp, ave floor temp, and room occupancy to determine if the AC needs to come on, and ultimately where the air will go.
    Ideally you really need a zone controller for that. The controllable thermostats are just that... thermostats that HS can control. There is still a setpoint temperature on the thermostat and it turns on the HVAC system if the temp at the thermostat is different than the setpoint temp. Some thermostats allow you to add one or two remote sensors and allow you to monitor the temp from the remote sensor or average the local and remote sensor temps, but those are propriatary sensors and the thermostat won't work with your HSM's. Additionally, you can't remotely change which sensor the thermostat is reading, so it's not like you could put a sensor in each room and use HS to choose which one the thermostat uses.

The problem is that HS can't directly control the HVAC system and tell it to turn on or turn off... the thermostat does that and HS can only change the thermostat's set point. You could indirectly use HS to turn the HVAC system on and off through the thermostat by setting the setpoint to a very low or very high value, but that would essentially mean that you would relagate all control of the HVAC system to HS and you don't touch the thermostat at all.

Really, though, you need a zone controller for what you want and RCS does make controllable ones, but they are not cheap.

HTH,
    Brett

Comment

How many HVAC units do you have in your house - I been doing a couple of things with the HSM100's with temperature control and light level - I have 3 separate units in my house - controlling different sections of the house or do you have dampeners in the duct work?

Comment

It may take a bit of scripting but you should be able to do this.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks for the info... it is confirming what I suspected. The thermos currently do not interface directly with HSMs. A little surprised that HS can not actually tell the thermo to "turn on"... but modifying the set point is a way I was thinking I could do things.

1 unit for the house that is not currently zoned. Ideally I would put in the dampeners right outside of the air handler (depending on how the ducts are configured)... but the attic is a little small for me, so when I have to replace the air handler I will probably do it then. Is the communication HS->thermo->ZC or HS->ZC? I can find x10 ZCs, but would prefer zwave.

In the mean time I am looking for controlling air flow at the register.. the Vent Miser is the the best option I can find.. but it only works time based... again I would want something zwave compat... I've found some DIY register howtos... I'm not sure if they would work.

Overall it has to be wireless... and it sounds like a DooMotion type plugin would be needed to properly integrate HSMs/ZCs/ac units for total control.

Comment

Working...
          X