HP Stream 7 for Kinect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Stream 7 for Kinect

I purchased an HP Stream 7 (quad core atom) from MS ($83 after tax, shipping). Also purchased a dell micro USB charge and USB adapter ($20).

The trick with the stream7 is that it has only one USB port, and it is used to power the device. So to connect the kinect you need the adapter I have listed. When the adapter is used, the charger charges much more slowly--though it does still charge. Overall, for ~$100 I have a pretty decent HSTouch/kinect client. I think these are still available if others are interested.

Update: See post 6. Charging seems to be a problem with kinect plugged in.
    Last edited by jlrichar; February 21, 2015, 03:58 PM.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
    Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
    Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Yep - Similar to my use of the 7" iView ($59) and my Dell 8 Venue.

Same thing on the power, so you an use a Vener8 to get power and a USB port at the same time ... They work well on my iview and venue tablets.

Debated getting the HP Special, and with $25 Store Credit as well - great price - but I have 6 bRight switches coming, ONCE they finally start shipping the things ....

Comment

Originally posted by surovich View Post
      Yep - Similar to my use of the 7" iView ($59) and my Dell 8 Venue.

Same thing on the power, so you an use a Vener8 to get power and a USB port at the same time ... They work well on my iview and venue tablets.

Debated getting the HP Special, and with $25 Store Credit as well - great price - but I have 6 bRight switches coming, ONCE they finally start shipping the things ....
      It was your posts on the iview that inspired me to look into cheap tablets for kinect clients. I have mixed feelings about the stream 7 after testing it in a lab setting. While I can charge and use the Kinect simultaneously it seems that it does not quite charge fast enough with the y adapter inline that I linked. I'm still trying a few things. I disabled the "ms charger" device in device manager (under batteries) and it indicates charging now--but no actual rate increase. It seems quite clear to me now that these sub $100 tablets are intentionally designed not to charge and use USB at the same time so that they will not cannibalize sales of more expensive machines. For $20 ($120 vs $80+$20) more I can get the liva from newegg and that has the advantage of a gigabit nic which I prefer over wifi. Or if I want to use a stream like device that is not intentionally USB restricted I can get the winbook (the $59 micro center tablet) from amazon for $84.

There does seem to be the plugable OTG dock, but it costs more than the stream. It may make sense, since to get a tablet from a mainstream vendor that does not have the gimped USB port will cost a lot more than $200. Though in reading about the dock, it does not seem to be a robust solution for the stream since it may require unplugging/replugging after power cycle. Another annoying thing about the stream is it seems RDP is somehow hobbled, as when I use it the tablet will reset after ~10-20 minutes. Overall, these things are meant as secondary devices, and it seems the vendors are resorting to what amount to dirty tricks from my perspective to keep them as such.

Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue

Comment

Jl - are you saying that the Stream 7, when using the adaptor for power + kinect, will slowly drain to 0 even when powered? I can imagine that scenario; just wanting to clarify.

Thanks for this info!!

Hjk
        ---

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hjk View Post
          Jl - are you saying that the Stream 7, when using the adaptor for power + kinect, will slowly drain to 0 even when powered? I can imagine that scenario; just wanting to clarify.

Thanks for this info!!

Hjk
          ---

Yes, though it takes a few days. There is some charging going on, but just slightly under what is required. I have turned brightness all the way down, and tried to enable all power saving. It is rather annoying that I cannot turn off the screen without turning off the device. Another example of intentional hobbling.

I am now testing the updated usb2 network driver, as the plugable device requires that to work. Even though I have the dell y adapter linked in the original post, and not the plugable dock, the dock requires this driver to charge/usb at the same time. So my thinking is that perhaps the dell y does too. It will be a while before I can see which way the battery goes. It has been at the same % since I started everything again an hour ago.

Also, keep in mind, I am testing vr, people detection, and gestures with the kinect. It may be possible to just use the vr and use less battery.

Comment

Looks like with kinect active the battery continuously declines. I'm sending mine back.

Switching to ECS liva mini PC from newegg. No screen--but gigabit nic, USB 2 and USB 3 and no charging foolishness. I will update a different thread with that testing.

Comment

Did you try an active USB hub (i.e. with it's own PSU) with the Dell adapter?
              Jon

Comment

Jon, that sounds like a good thing to try. I need to order a Dell adapter, then I can try that out.

Comment

I did, it made little difference. The kinect has its own usb power supply already, so that may explain why the hub did little. It may be possible to set your remote computer and control plugin to put the stream to sleep at night or when the room or house is vacant. The battery and charger lasts a couple of days so not much needs to be done. I am switching to the ecs liva mini pc as it seems simpler and fits how I want to administer this client.

Comment

Working...
                  X