Multiple Kinects Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Kinects Issue

I am trying to configure 2 Kinects on HS machine.

When I create the 2nd instance it tries to use same Kinect there are no others in drop down (same with 1st instance only one shows up)

They are both showing up in device manager and both mics work when tested thru PC.

Thanks,
    Steven G
    Attached Files

You are right there is a bug in the dropdown that let you choose the Kinect in the Config page.
    It will be fixed in the next version (to be released very soon)

nice find, thanks for reporting it.

Comment

Fixed in version 3.0.0.8, available here

Comment

Spud,

Got it installed and they do show up now but they do not save in the ini file, heres what i get after install in the 2 ini files:

Kinect.ini:
        Code:

[GENERAL]
        kinect_sensor_id=USB\VID_045E
        visual_recognition_enabled=False
        log_level=Trace
        voice_recognition_enabled=True
        [VOICE_RECOGNITION]
        attention_phrase=Jarvis
        Kinect_Office.ini
        Code:
        [GENERAL]
        kinect_sensor_id=USB\VID_045E&PID_02AE\A00362A14107138A
        I manually corrected ini files and I still get errors below, looks like its not using ini file when creating 2nd instance, if I restart 2nd instance drop down always on first kinect number, even when ini file has entry for 2nd. Also when you make changes to 2nd instance they do not reflect in ini file

Code:
        Apr-02 2:51:33 PM         Plug-In    Finished initializing plug-in Kinect   

Apr-02 2:51:33 PM         Kinect    INFO Kinect initialized   

Apr-02 2:51:33 PM         Kinect    ERROR Kinect is already in use in another process.   

Apr-02 2:51:33 PM         Warning    Attempt by plugin to register a duplicate link of kinectconfig. Plugin: Kinect Instance: Office   

Apr-02 2:51:32 PM         Info    Plug-in Kinect with instance Office has connected successfully   

Apr-02 2:51:32 PM         Info    Remote application or plugin has connected: 127.0.0.1:60546   

Apr-02 2:51:32 PM         Info    Remote application or plugin has connected: 127.0.0.1:60545   

Apr-02 2:51:30 PM         Plug-In    Finished initializing plug-in Kinect   

Apr-02 2:51:30 PM         Kinect    DEBUG End Init   

Apr-02 2:51:30 PM         Kinect    INFO Kinect initialized   

Apr-02 2:51:30 PM         Kinect    DEBUG at Microsoft.Kinect.KinectExceptionHelper.CheckHr(Int32 hr) at Microsoft.Kinect.KinectSensor.Initialize(SensorOptions options) at Microsoft.Kinect.KinectSensor.Start() at HSPI_KINECT.KinectApp.KinectInit()   

Apr-02 2:51:30 PM         Kinect    ERROR Kinect is already in use in another process.   

Apr-02 2:51:30 PM         Kinect    DEBUG Web Pages Registered   

Apr-02 2:51:30 PM         Kinect    DEBUG Visual Recognition Initialized   

Apr-02 2:51:30 PM         Kinect    DEBUG Voice Recognition Initialized   

Apr-02 2:51:30 PM         Kinect    DEBUG Logger Initialized   

Apr-02 2:51:30 PM         Info    Plug-in Kinect has connected successfully   

Apr-02 2:51:30 PM         Info    Remote application or plugin has connected: 127.0.0.1:60542   

Apr-02 2:51:30 PM         Info    Remote application or plugin has connected: 127.0.0.1:60541

Comment

So i restarted HS to make sure i wasnt crazy and heres what ini files look like after restart

Kinect.ini
          Code:

[GENERAL]
          kinect_sensor_id=USB\VID_045E [COLOR=red][B]<-- THIS DOES NOT SEEM CORRECT should be USB\VID_045E&PID_02AE\A00362A14107138A[/B][/COLOR]
          visual_recognition_enabled=True
          log_level=Debug
          voice_recognition_enabled=False
          [VOICE_RECOGNITION]
          attention_phrase=Jarvis
          Kinect_Office.ini
          Code:
          [GENERAL]
          kinect_sensor_id=USB\VID_045E&PID_02AE\A00366806691041A [COLOR=red][B]<-- THIS SEEMS CORRECT but looks like it still uses sensor 1[/B][/COLOR]
          log_level=Debug
          but if I look at instance Office it has kinect 1 sensor selected in dropdown so I get errors when starting instances:
          Code:

Apr-02 3:26:40 PM Kinect INFO Kinect initialized 
          Apr-02 3:26:40 PM Kinect DEBUG at Microsoft.Kinect.KinectExceptionHelper.CheckHr(Int32 hr) at Microsoft.Kinect.KinectSensor.Initialize(SensorOptions options) at Microsoft.Kinect.KinectSensor.Start() at HSPI_KINECT.KinectApp.KinectInit() 
          Apr-02 3:26:40 PM Kinect ERROR Kinect is already in use in another process
          Last edited by steveng; April 2, 2014, 03:30 PM. Reason: change code

Comment

Spud,

Ok so after restarted HS looks like Office instance is updating ini file and I think I found our issue

Kinect.ini
            Code:

[GENERAL]
            kinect_sensor_id=USB\VID_045E [B][COLOR=#ff0000]<-- Both ini files are set to this, so it would be in use[/COLOR][/B]
            visual_recognition_enabled=True
            log_level=Debug
            [VOICE_RECOGNITION]
            attention_phrase=Jarvis

Kinect_Office.ini
            Code:

[GENERAL]
            kinect_sensor_id=USB\VID_045E [COLOR=red][B]<-- Both ini files are set to this, so it would be in use
            [/B][/COLOR]log_level=Trace
            visual_recognition_enabled=False
            [VOICE_RECOGNITION]
            attention_phrase=Jarvis

Comment

I think I found the problem, please test version 3.0.0.9 available here

Comment

Spud,

Thanks again for the quick turn around, it looks like everything is working.

I am going to add another instance in a few days and will let you know how it goes.

im testing powering the kinects via PC instead of using the wall warts and so far so good, combined with the extension cable i can go 40 feet with no loss of accuracy. (im only using voice no Gesture, Posture, or Person Recognition)

Thanks,
                Steven G

Comment

what kind of extension cable do you use?

Comment

Spud,

Experimenting with these right now:
                    CTA Digital Xbox Kinect 30 Foot Extension Cable for the Kinect Camera http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006OI3CUW/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nyko Extend Link for Kinect - Xbox 360
                    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UPPBG4/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

tring to run everything out of my audio/video closet to 4 rooms (4 kinects), so if I can run all 4 from PC power I only have to run 1 wire to each location

I used molex connecters to tap PC power.

Thanks,
                    Steven G

Comment

I have the exact same problem with the second remote kinect instance not showing up in the General Settings / Kinect Sensor drop down box. The kinect_sensor_id= line was not in the kinect.ini file or the second instance. ini file. I manually added them and then shut down and restarted HS3. The second instance still does not show up in the configuration drop down box. Both kinects do work correctly with HS3 except for there being only one ID code in the configuration drop down box. I am running version 3.0.0.18 of the Kinect plug in.

Comment

Originally posted by mtroxell1 View Post
                        I have the exact same problem with the second remote kinect instance not showing up in the General Settings / Kinect Sensor drop down box. The kinect_sensor_id= line was not in the kinect.ini file or the second instance. ini file. I manually added them and then shut down and restarted HS3. The second instance still does not show up in the configuration drop down box. Both kinects do work correctly with HS3 except for there being only one ID code in the configuration drop down box. I am running version 3.0.0.18 of the Kinect plug in.
                        Do you have several kinects plugged into the same PC? This is the only case where the dropdown list should show more than one kinect id.

Each plugin instance has its own configuration page, so if you have only one kinect per PC, you should see each dropdown list filled with one different kinect id.

Also, when you start a plugin instance on one machine, it logs all the kinect sensors discovered on that machine, one line for each kinect:
                        Code:
                        Jun-04 8:34:04 PM	  	 Kinect	 INFO USB\VID_045E&PID_02AE\A00364815126051A status=Connected

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
                          Do you have several kinects plugged into the same PC? This is the only case where the dropdown list should show more than one kinect id.

Each plugin instance has its own configuration page, so if you have only one kinect per PC, you should see each dropdown list filled with one different kinect id.

Also, when you start a plugin instance on one machine, it logs all the kinect sensors discovered on that machine, one line for each kinect:
                          Code:
                          Jun-04 8:34:04 PM	  	 Kinect	 INFO USB\VID_045E&PID_02AE\A00364815126051A status=Connected
                          I have one kinect plugged into the HS3 local server and the other kinect is on a remote laptop. Each kinect is showing its own configuration page but both pages show the locally connected kinect ID and do not show the remote kinect ID. The line you mentioned does not show up in the kinect .ini file. Or should it show up somewhere else?

Comment

Originally posted by mtroxell1 View Post
                            I have one kinect plugged into the HS3 local server and the other kinect is on a remote laptop. Each kinect is showing its own configuration page but both pages show the locally connected kinect ID and do not show the remote kinect ID. The line you mentioned does not show up in the kinect .ini file. Or should it show up somewhere else?
                            It's perfectly normal, each plugin instance only shows the kinect sensors which are locally plugged in. Plugin instances do not communicate with each other so they are not aware of sensors plugged into a remote machine.

The line I quoted should show in the HS logs

If you have only kinect per machine, the kinect id does not need to be in the ini file, the plugin will try to connect to the only one available on this machine.

Comment

Thanks. I was worried that it made a difference if the second ID was not showing in the configuration drop down box. Both kinects are working as expected so everything is fine. Thanks for helping with this.

Comment

Working...
                              X