www.homeseer.com    
 

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer General Discussion Area

HomeSeer General Discussion Area General discussion about HomeSeer that does not fall into any other category or are not specific to 1.x or 2.x versions of HomeSeer.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 16th, 2017, 02:23 PM
ServiceXp's Avatar
ServiceXp ServiceXp is offline
Seer Master
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 519
Network OctoPrint (3D Printer Control) and Homeseer.

Hello all,
I'm currently in the process of converting my 3D Printers and their control to OctoPrint, (RPi2 & 3 based) and would like to know if there is a way that I could have OctoPrint Talk to HS3 and visa-versa?

OctoPrint's API looks pretty robust, but not knowing anything linux, I'm not able to make use of it.

I see spud has a Raspberry Pi plug-in but looks like it's GPIO based.

Anything else out there?
__________________
RJ_Make On YouTube
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old February 16th, 2017, 09:28 PM
airedale airedale is offline
Seer Plus
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: IL
Posts: 83
Let me take a look and see. I am using Octoprint as well.

What are you looking to do? Automate turning on preheating?

I hadn't really thought of a real need to integrate into Homeseer, but I am interested in hearing ideas - they may spark some on my end as well :-)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old February 17th, 2017, 04:30 AM
Phaeton Phaeton is offline
Seer Deluxe
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wassenaar
Posts: 195
I'm currently using octoprint with the mqtt plugin. I try to get the homeseer mqtt plugin to work.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Moto G (4) met Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old February 17th, 2017, 08:23 AM
ServiceXp's Avatar
ServiceXp ServiceXp is offline
Seer Master
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by airedale View Post
Let me take a look and see. I am using Octoprint as well.

What are you looking to do? Automate turning on preheating?

I hadn't really thought of a real need to integrate into Homeseer, but I am interested in hearing ideas - they may spark some on my end as well :-)
I think mostly status updates inside of HS, so I can handle messaging (status updates with pictures); controlling air filtration systems (example: ABS I need all filtration turned on, PLA only local filtration); monitor filament outages.

With a robust Status System in place, skies the limit on what I could control via HS.

The only command functions at this point would be power on/off the printer when starting/completing prints. My printers hang off appliance switches.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old February 17th, 2017, 08:23 AM
ServiceXp's Avatar
ServiceXp ServiceXp is offline
Seer Master
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
I'm currently using octoprint with the mqtt plugin. I try to get the homeseer mqtt plugin to work.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Moto G (4) met Tapatalk
Did you get it working, and if so what are you able to do?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old February 17th, 2017, 08:32 AM
Phaeton Phaeton is offline
Seer Deluxe
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wassenaar
Posts: 195
In theory you should at least get status of prints. And that's what I want to reach. I'll try it out this weekend, if it works I'll share settings.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Moto G (4) met Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old February 19th, 2017, 04:03 AM
Phaeton Phaeton is offline
Seer Deluxe
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wassenaar
Posts: 195
In my first (very minimal) version do the following:

I have created two virtual MQTT devices with the MQTT plugin.
They listen to:
octoprint/event/PrintStarted
octoprint/event/PrintDone
The devices only update status, not value.

When one of these devices change I know the status of the printer changed and follow up. So I now send a pushover message when a print starts or ends. But I could also start a timer or do something else in an event.

Next step; use the JSON information provided in the payload of the message from octoprint to be get a more specific pushover message.

conclusion after ten minutes of trying; it should be possible to get Octoprint connected to Homeseer. Now the question, what do I want achieve except push messaging? What where your ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old February 19th, 2017, 09:34 AM
ServiceXp's Avatar
ServiceXp ServiceXp is offline
Seer Master
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
In my first (very minimal) version do the following:

I have created two virtual MQTT devices with the MQTT plugin.
They listen to:
octoprint/event/PrintStarted
octoprint/event/PrintDone
The devices only update status, not value.

When one of these devices change I know the status of the printer changed and follow up. So I now send a pushover message when a print starts or ends. But I could also start a timer or do something else in an event.

Next step; use the JSON information provided in the payload of the message from octoprint to be get a more specific pushover message.

conclusion after ten minutes of trying; it should be possible to get Octoprint connected to Homeseer. Now the question, what do I want achieve except push messaging? What where your ideas?
Wow, that's fantastic, now I just need to learn how to use MQTT. Thank you for testing that out!.

I think mostly status updates inside of HS, so I can handle messaging (status updates with pictures); controlling air filtration systems (example: ABS I need all filtration turned on, PLA only local filtration); monitor filament outages.

With a robust Status System in place, skies the limit on what I could control via HS.

The only command functions at this point would be power on/off the printer when starting/completing prints. My printers hang off appliance switches, so I need some way to power on an appliance switch from with-in OctoPrint, so that OctorPrint can connect to the printer and start communications.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old July 7th, 2017, 02:41 AM
NerdBitMN NerdBitMN is offline
Seer
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 26
Phaeton,

Were you ever able to get this working the way you intended? I have just started using OctoPrint and have the same goal.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
In my first (very minimal) version do the following:

I have created two virtual MQTT devices with the MQTT plugin.
They listen to:
octoprint/event/PrintStarted
octoprint/event/PrintDone
The devices only update status, not value.

When one of these devices change I know the status of the printer changed and follow up. So I now send a pushover message when a print starts or ends. But I could also start a timer or do something else in an event.

Next step; use the JSON information provided in the payload of the message from octoprint to be get a more specific pushover message.

conclusion after ten minutes of trying; it should be possible to get Octoprint connected to Homeseer. Now the question, what do I want achieve except push messaging? What where your ideas?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Printer on HomeTroller sibleyr HomeTroller™ 1 March 31st, 2010 06:10 AM
Windows Printer Que ??? dem5867 Script & Plug-In Development 1 October 24th, 2007 07:55 AM
Printer not working clkmn HomeSeer General Discussion Area 0 May 3rd, 2004 06:56 PM
usb printer fungun Script & Plug-In Development 2 April 19th, 2004 07:13 PM
Printer Script dem5867 Script & Plug-In Development 1 May 28th, 2003 10:24 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:30 PM.


Copyright HomeSeer Technologies, LLC