Aeotec ZW097 Dry Contact Sensor Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just added a Aeotec ZW097 sensor and it seems to be working. It's going to connect to a Kidde SM120X Relay module which is tied to my hard wired kid Smoke and CO Detectors. I'll post more about that in a future thread.

However, I do have some questions about why it has 4 devices associated with it.

The "No Status" I get so not an issue.

The "Battery" I get.

The "Contact Closure Sensor" I get. Well, mostly get unless it somehow interacts with the Access Control Notification.

The "Access Control Notification" I have no idea if, how or why it's to be used and that's what I have questions about.
    Can anyone enlighten me on what it's for?
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
    Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
    3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
    4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
    3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
    SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

I think that notifies you that the device has been opened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've removed it from the mounting plate several times and the unit did not respond so I don't think that it has a tamper event.
      Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Comment

I just got one of these connected to a set of dry contacts to monitor a trailer door being opened. After adding it to my zwave network, everything looks good - with one of the nodes "Contact Closure Sensor" showing contact open or closed on the device status page when testing. So far so good. But..

In the log, when door is opened, I see:
        Device: Node 15 Z-Wave Contact Closure Sensor Set to No Motion

When door is closed, I see:
        Device: Node 15 Z-Wave Contact Closure Sensor Set to Motion

Not only is this backwards, but where did the word 'motion' come from? I expected to just see something like contact open / closed or similar.
        I thought this would be pretty simple to edit what the log reports based on the device but I didn't see anywhere to do this.

I tried changing the report parameters from basic to binary sensor - same results. I also removed it, set it back to factory defaults - and re-added it. Same results. What am I missing here...

Comment

Don't worry about it saying motion. Since this is contact sensor which you can put any thing you want on it what's you're seeing isn't either right or wrong it's just what they put as an example. Same goes for it not being what you think should be open or closed. Sensors come in both Normally Open and Normally Closed types. You have to set the ZW097 for the type you have.

For both of these changes just go to the last device in the ZW097 group then go to the Status Graphics page. You can then change the values for what you want to be Open and Closed.

In my case I have 0 for OK and 255 for Alarm for Status Text. For Status Graphics I have "images/HomeSeer/contemporary/ok.png" for 0 and "images/HomeSeer/contemporary/alarmsmoke.png" for 255.

Comment

Originally posted by kprice View Post
            I just got one of these connected to a set of dry contacts to monitor a trailer door being opened. After adding it to my zwave network, everything looks good - with one of the nodes "Contact Closure Sensor" showing contact open or closed on the device status page when testing. So far so good. But..

In the log, when door is opened, I see:
            Device: Node 15 Z-Wave Contact Closure Sensor Set to No Motion

When door is closed, I see:
            Device: Node 15 Z-Wave Contact Closure Sensor Set to Motion

Not only is this backwards, but where did the word 'motion' come from? I expected to just see something like contact open / closed or similar.
            I thought this would be pretty simple to edit what the log reports based on the device but I didn't see anywhere to do this.

I tried changing the report parameters from basic to binary sensor - same results. I also removed it, set it back to factory defaults - and re-added it. Same results. What am I missing here...
            You should be able to click on the device, go to the Status Graphics tab, then change the Motion/No Motion text to Open/Closed.
            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

To clarify, the Home / device page shows perfect, Contact closed or Contact open, complete with correct corresponding door graphic.

My issue is how it reports on the log file, where it logs those actions as stated in above post, backwards motion or no motion...

Comment

Originally posted by kprice View Post
                To clarify, the Home / device page shows perfect, Contact closed or Contact open, complete with correct corresponding door graphic.

My issue is how it reports on the log file, where it logs those actions as stated in above post, backwards motion or no motion...
                I'll have to check this the next time I test my smoke detectors and post back.

Comment

Update. Aeotec got back to me. I fixed the backwards reporting by setting Parameter 3 = 1. The LOG still shows it as a motion - but now is not reversed, show when the contact is open - it logs "motion", when contact closed it logs "no motion". But it stills logs as a motion event.

The tech said this is definitely a Homeseer issue and not coming from the ZW097. Somewhere, HS thinks this is motion device instead of a opened / closed device.

Comment

In general my ZW097 is working however I keep getting the following log entires whenever it wakes up.
                    Dec-11 12:14:20 AM Z-Wave Internal: Z-Wave Wake-Up Notification Received for Node 34
                    Dec-11 12:14:20 AM Z-Wave Internal: Wake-Up Notification Processing for Node 34 (Sensors Furnace Room Aeon Labs Notification Sensor)
                    Dec-11 12:14:20 AM Z-Wave Wake-Up Util Proc for (Sensors Furnace Room Aeon Labs Notification Sensor) handling: Poll Device
                    Dec-11 12:14:20 AM Z-Wave Internal: Z-Wave Wake-Up Notification Received for Node 34
                    Dec-11 12:14:25 AM Z-Wave Internal: Device (Node 34) woke up and Poll Device for Sensors Furnace Room Access Control Notification was successfully sent.
                    Dec-11 12:14:25 AM Z-Wave Wake-Up Util Proc for (Sensors Furnace Room Aeon Labs Notification Sensor) handling: Poll Device
                    Dec-11 12:14:26 AM Z-Wave Warning Internal: Device (Node 34) woke up, but queued command failed to be sent. Command=Poll Device
                    Dec-11 12:14:26 AM Z-Wave Warning WAKE-UP Cancelled for node 34 - wake-up queued at 12/11/2017 12:14:20 AM. Too much time has elapsed.
                    The problem is the warnings. It seems like it never stays awake long enough to receive any commands.

Anyone have any ideas on how set the ZW097 to stay awake longer so it stops timings out? I figure it should stay awake for at least 10 seconds, maybe even 20 or 30 seconds, to solve the issue.

Does anyone have any good documentation since what comes with the device is garbage.

The other issue. The Access Notification Section has a bunch of conditions under the Status Graphics tab.
                    Is this section ever used?
                    What or how are all of those conditions used?

Comment

I've been working with the ZW097 some more and I'm now wondering how it's supposed to function.

As kprice noticed the Log shows it's a Motion device. However, the type of device can be changed using Parameter 122 but this does not effect what's being written to the Log as I think it should.

Parameter 122 is the "Notification Type to Send" and it controls what child device are created.

Here are the Notification types:
                      1. Smoke alarm
                      2. CO alarm
                      3. CO2 alarm
                      4. Heat alarm
                      5. Water alarm
                      6. Access control (The Default)
                      7. Home security
                      8. Power management
                      9. System
                      10. Emergency alarm
                      11. Timer ended

When I set Parameter 122 to 1 a Smoke Notification device is created with the following devices.

If you set Parameter 122 to CO then it will create a CO notification instead.

The bottom line is that only the Contact Closure Sensor changes with you open or close the contacts and it always shows up as Contact Closure Sensor Motion or no Motion in the Logs. Setting Parameter 122 to Smoke seems to do nothing. That seems strange to me but then maybe I just don't understand what that child device is for, but I would think the Smoke Notification, or which ever Parameter 122 is set to, would be the one changing and if that was a type 6 then it could list Motion and called Contact Closure.

I'd sure like to know how the ZW097 shows up in other systems.

Any ideas folks?
                      Last edited by Timon; January 5, 2018, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Has anyone noticed that these dry contact sensors are no longer sold any longer? I use these for pressure sensitive mats and for our outdoor gates and have no way of replacing them when they go bad.
                        HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
                        Plugin's:
                        BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
                        EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
                        weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by The Profit View Post
                          Has anyone noticed that these dry contact sensors are no longer sold any longer? I use these for pressure sensitive mats and for our outdoor gates and have no way of replacing them when they go bad.
                          Might get them here.
                          https://www.smarthometool.com/produc...r-small-white/
                          https://shop.techswitch.cf/product/a...r-small-white/
                          http://www.asihome.com/ASIshop/produ...oducts_id=5472
                          Last edited by cowinger; June 20, 2018, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Thank you, I just checked the site and noticed it said they were not available. Thinking Aeotec has discontinued them as they seem to be out everywhere I check.
                            I have a friend that has taken apart a z-wave door/window sensor and hacked it so it can be used as a dry sensor....guess this may be my only option.....

Edit: Just saw that you had listed three different sites and found one site that still has some....thanks again for your help with this!

HS3 3.0.0.423 & HSTouch 3.0.55 with 700 Devices, 358 Events
                            Plugin's:
                            BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee,
                            weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, Z-Wave 3.0.1.206
                            HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
                            Plugin's:
                            BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
                            weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by The Profit View Post
                              Thank you, I just checked the site and noticed it said they were not available. Thinking Aeotec has discontinued them as they seem to be out everywhere I check.
                              I have a friend that has taken apart a z-wave door/window sensor and hacked it so it can be used as a dry sensor....guess this may be my only option.....

Edit: Just saw that you had listed three different sites and found one site that still has some....thanks again for your help with this!

HS3 3.0.0.423 & HSTouch 3.0.55 with 700 Devices, 358 Events
                              Plugin's:
                              BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee,
                              weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, Z-Wave 3.0.1.206
                              Your welcome. Glad one of them had them.

Comment

Working...
                              X