No announcement yet.

Camera Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have the housing maybe one of these? http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...-MTV-Lens.html

I have a Grandstream clone and i really like it. (I think it was a Pete post that send me in that direction. :-) ) But it's another price.

Comment

How did you mount or secure yours?

Only way I see securing the behind the door ringer bezel would be to replace the machine screws with longer standoff studs.

Any thoughts or brackets available?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
      HSPro: 3.0.0.194
      PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
      HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Sorry I don't know.

I use an older version like this at my front door.
        http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...m-Outdoor.html

Comment

1080 vs 720?????

So last month I ordered a 720p camera non poe from china for $26 as well a hicvison for 1080p variable focus for $140. Apparently the seller of the hicvison has a fraud and eBay refunded my money.

My question for y'all is with the extra resolution of the 1080 is worth the cost?

Even ordering a 1080p poe camera stateside has a cost of $93 dollars, the extra cost for hardware adds up after 10 PCs not only with cameras but with storage as well.

What's your experience's? (Obviously when filming from distance 1080p is better, but let's assume all is near by within 40' inside/outside)

Thanks

Charlie

PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
          HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

I switched to Hikvision IP cameras and have been using them for 19 months with very good results.

Comment

I think the bigger issue is the build quality, reliability and features between the two cameras.

The added detail from the higher resolution does not add much to most home uses. Especially since detail and quality is determined by compression, encoding quality, optics quality.. not to mention whether the image is properly focused and is the lighting sufficient.

Personally i've used some HikVision cameras (3mp models that was about $150 each) and i think they're very good for the price.

Originally posted by CharlieWayne View Post
              1080 vs 720?????

So last month I ordered a 720p camera non poe from china for $26 as well a hicvison for 1080p variable focus for $140. Apparently the seller of the hicvison has a fraud and eBay refunded my money.

My question for y'all is with the extra resolution of the 1080 is worth the cost?

Even ordering a 1080p poe camera stateside has a cost of $93 dollars, the extra cost for hardware adds up after 10 PCs not only with cameras but with storage as well.

What's your experience's? (Obviously when filming from distance 1080p is better, but let's assume all is near by within 40' inside/outside)

Thanks

Charlie

HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

Well I've got 2 camera up and running. One is $29 720p bullet cam special and the feed during the day is great but its not poe (cost extra for power supply) and I'm having issues with the programing software and the IR doesn't work.

The other camera I bought is 12mm 1080p hikvision bullet cam (cost for the 12mm was $120, but I seem lots of 4mm for $93). It was easy to set up and didn't have to spend addition time emailing a chinaman for clarifying the manual. With that experience I ordered my second Hikvision which is a dome camera that has sound in/out & alarm in/out. Now I'm not sure what those feature will mean with my set as I run Sighthound, Ultras Plugin, and use HS to handle logic.

But I'm sure the rest of the cams I buy will be Hikvision 4mm or 2.5mm for less than $100.

I bought a POE injector strip from some company in Houston that's sells through amazon.

Oh, I have a foscam camera that I'm willing to gift to the person who pays the shipping.

Sent from my HTC One max using Tapatalk

Comment

Here's a photo of the new dome cam with sound and alarm I/O.

The logic from my understanding is programmed within the cam itself.

Sent from my HTC One max using Tapatalk

Comment

Here have gone to higher MP Grandstream OS type of cameras. What I see with these is that I can run multiple streams and the cameras do not work as hard. For outside fixed lens I prefer the wider 2.8mm but the 3.6mm works fine for me. The newer ones also have electronic focal lengths which makes it much easier to adjust via the gui than to manually adjust the focal length. IE: today using a 1080 with a 4mm lens in the garage. It only sees 2 of the 3 cars though so it is not optimal for me. I have gone to all Grandstream now though as I also purchased the Grandstream NVR but it is still sitting in a box unused. I have paid from $100-$120 for just the boards with the lenses and fitted these into Speco IP67 dome mounts. I do not recall any more how much I paid for the old Speco analog cams. That said I did strip out all of the insides for the Grandstream boards. I have paid $150-200 for the Grandstream in the case cams here.

The sound and alarm I/O pins are on the Grandstream OS camera boards as well as the IR power and sensor connections. The newer ones are all POE where as I went to POE splitters on the older cams. Base power for the POE cams is from Tycon midstream POE injectors. They are manageable relating to the power on and off and watch. They are POE injectors though and not network switches such that each of the 24 ports has an in and an out which makes for a lot of cables as the 24 port switch is sitting above it.

The older combo Optex cams have autonmous PIR sensors and night and day sensors each cabled to the devices (coaxial, power, sensor cables which makes for a lot of wires).
                    They are very stealthy and probably why they are not sold anymore as they look like oversized PIRs. (they do have blinkly lights on them which I have in off mode).
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Hey Pete, do you use or have you thought of incorporating the sound & alarm I/O into your HS system?

I just skimmed through that portion of the cameras manual, but something that me be attractive is sound monitoring. I wouldn't use it for alarm system griping, but would this provide any value to us as a HS Trigger?

I'll read more on my Hikvisons potential in the week coming and post back if I think of an application.

Comment

Anyone have suggestions for Cameras inside?

I ask cause I'm not to keen on the idea of mounting bullet or dome cameras inside. This is strictly a cosmetic concern as I don't think they will will appeal with decor. I've seen some hidden pin hole cams in smoke detectors and motion sensors, but there analog requiring a pcie card.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Anyone have suggestions for Cameras inside?

I ask cause I'm not to keen on the idea of mounting bullet or dome cameras inside. This is strictly a cosmetic concern as I don't think they will will appeal with decor. I've seen some hidden pin hole cams in smoke detectors and motion sensors, but there analog requiring a pcie card.

Any thoughts?

Check out 360' hemispheric cameras.

Mobotix Q24/Q25 are pricey, but they look like smoke detector/speaker and has a gajillion features that can be used with HA. (sound in/out, sip phone server/client, robust motion detection maps, has some logic to discern object's movement direction in a scene, and all those can be used to trigger a JSON call to HS3). Used ones go for $4-500 on Ebay and despite the high price, they can usually replace 2 or more cameras.

HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Comment

Aren't those like looking through a beer bottle?? Lmao and JK. Hehehe.

I'll look I to those and similar.

Charlie.

Comment

Aren't those like looking through a beer bottle?? Lmao and JK. Hehehe.

I'll look I to those and similar.

Charlie.

LOL that is actually its strength and weakness....

If you use these cameras to record the full frame image to your recorder, then during playback you can pause/replay and pan+zoom+tilt within your recording, similar to those CGI movies where the actions are frozen and your camera can look around

It's a great thing to capture nearly 100% of your environment even when you're not actively viewing it.. knowing that you can pan/zoom to the blind spots from the recording.

This is all done by the onboard CPU\DSP, so you can do this even from within its web interface. (records directly to a NAS)

The bad thing about this... is that if you use 3rd party NVR, they don't support the perspective correction yet, so they can only show the full frame image which looks like this:

(The overlaid blue pattern is from a feature called 'heat map' that shows movement areas btw, of course it can be turned off:

https://www.mobotix.com/other/Compan...res-And-Beyond

Comment

Hey Pete, do you use or have you thought of incorporating the sound & alarm I/O into your HS system?
                                No I do not use any of the stuff today.

The garage camera only uses the autonomously wired PIR to the panel. I do have one camera covering the utility section in the basement so I can get a visual if water heater breaks. Something I really never want to see anyway.

I did speak with a commercial alarm / security camera installer a couple of years back and he only used Mobotix for his stuff.
                                - Pete

Auto mator
                                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                                X