Problem with Variables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Variables

So I'm running HS2 with ISY Insteon and have been for a few years now. I've been very happy with the products.

I mostly use ISY for my HA but I use HS for voice prompts etc.

I've been changing my method of triggering voice prompts in HS from ISY and have been trying to simply set an integer variable value in ISY to trigger a voice output.

So - in ISY there's a variable called 'say car in driveway' with a value of zero. When a car is detected in the driveway it changes the value to 1 for 30 seconds and then back to 0.

In Homeseer I have an event based on the ISY variable which says 'when ISY Variable 'say car in driveway' equals 1 then speak the message 'car in driveway'.

That works.

But it also speaks the message when it toggles the value back to 0 or 9 or -117. Any change in value triggers the event.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

mark

Hi Mark,

I've been trying to reproduce this trying a number of different things, but can't. So far I've tried:

1) setting a non-state variable to different values with an event that speaks when equal to a specific value and it only speaks when I set the variable to that value. A change to any other value doesn't cause it to speak.

2) Same as above but using a state variable

3) Creating a program that sets the state variable to a value, waits 10 seconds and sets it to a different value.

In all cases, HS only speaks when the variables value is equal to the one I setup in the event. I'm using 1.0.4.24 of the plug-in.

Changing the log level to debug and logging the messages for this might help determine what's going on.

Originally posted by MarkJames View Post
    So I'm running HS2 with ISY Insteon and have been for a few years now. I've been very happy with the products.

I mostly use ISY for my HA but I use HS for voice prompts etc.

I've been changing my method of triggering voice prompts in HS from ISY and have been trying to simply set an integer variable value in ISY to trigger a voice output.

So - in ISY there's a variable called 'say car in driveway' with a value of zero. When a car is detected in the driveway it changes the value to 1 for 30 seconds and then back to 0.

In Homeseer I have an event based on the ISY variable which says 'when ISY Variable 'say car in driveway' equals 1 then speak the message 'car in driveway'.

That works.

But it also speaks the message when it toggles the value back to 0 or 9 or -117. Any change in value triggers the event.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

mark
    --
    Bob Paauwe
    ISYInsteon Plug-in
    http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYInsteon/

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, Bob.

I wonder if it's a problem with an earlier version. The most recent version I have installed is 1.0.4.0

You mentioned you're using 1.0.4.24 - is that available for HS2 or is that an HS3 version? The most recent version I see on your website in the downloads section is 1.0.4.10.

Here's a screencap of the event trigger and the log - you can see that it triggers regardless of the number fed to it.

Comment

Actually, I should have asked you this, too.

Is this a 'good' way of triggering HS via ISY?

I previously used to trigger events based on whether ISY programs were enabled or disabled. That worked very well - I was just trying to tidy up and not have a bunch of programs on my ISY whose sole purpose was to act as flags for HS.

mark

Comment

I post the latest version of the plug-in with bug fixes here in the forum. The latest version is always available here: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=156829

I did look through the change log and didn't see anything that specifically addressed this issue but there have been a few variable related fixes.

As far as this being a good way to trigger events. It is probably less resource intensive on the ISY to use variables vs. programs as flags. But from the HS side, it shouldn't matter.

Try upgraded to the latest version and let me know if that doesn't fix it.
          --
          Bob Paauwe
          ISYInsteon Plug-in
          http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYInsteon/

Comment

Thanks for the links.

I actually switched from using variables to using Elk outputs. I have an Elk M1G system and use the UltraM1G plugin so outputs is actually a simpler way to trigger an HS event. The nice thing about them is they accept a timer natively - so ISY can simply turn the output on for 10 seconds to trip the event and automatically let it go low after the time period. It saves me from setting a variable high, waiting a delay time, then pulling it back low.

I'll apply the update and see if it makes a difference just for good measure. I haven't updated it in quite some time as it's worked perfectly fine up till this point.

Cheers,

mark

Comment

Working...
            X