Windows Vs Linux HS3 License.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Vs Linux HS3 License.

Today I was trying to sort out if I should get the HS3 Zee controller or the new celeron based box. Looking at things it looked as if the box would be nice and with good enough hardware to run windows server 12 or Windows 10. I asked if I could use my linux key on a windows install of the same level of either standard and pro and was told no.

So, what am I loosing out on by not having the ability to go windows? I used linux in the past for zoneminder and several different NAS systems but I hate it. If you mess something up it is never quite right again. That being said it sounds like there is a built in front end to HS3 that doesnt require touching linux and allows you to backup EVERYTHING so if it does have mental health issues you are ok.

Thoughts?

Oh yeh I am coming from a Zipabox which is great but doesnt work when the cloud server is jacked which seems to be often lately. I also dont like someone with sticky fingers in the cloud being able to crank my heat up to 95 in the summer and turn all the appliances on. I am also not a fan of not being able to customize routes and how some rules or devices just dont function correctly no matter what.

Yes, the Zee S2 license is tied to the box itself. If you had a full HS3 license it would work on both Linux and Windows. The only real difference between Linux and Windows with regards to HS3 is there are more plugins available for Windows than Linux.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Yeh I get that with the Zee but I was looking at the more expensive troller box as a starting point. That should have the standard license since it runs on a celeron. So basically there is a windows vs linux discrimination. I am not going to purchase the more expensive box to get the more expensive license and be tied to linux.

If what you are telling me is that if I purchase the software from the site I get both windows and linux licenses I will go that route. There is no point to buying a hometroller-sel if I can never move the license to another box.

Comment

Originally posted by kogashuko View Post
        Yeh I get that with the Zee but I was looking at the more expensive troller box as a starting point. That should have the standard license since it runs on a celeron. So basically there is a windows vs linux discrimination. I am not going to purchase the more expensive box to get the more expensive license and be tied to linux.

If what you are telling me is that if I purchase the software from the site I get both windows and linux licenses I will go that route. There is no point to buying a hometroller-sel if I can never move the license to another box.

If you wish to build your own box then you can use your Windows licence for your Linux box as well. Say if you had a second home. I think the troller licence is also tied to the troller. So to have the best of both worlds is to go for the Windows licence.

Eman.
        TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by kogashuko View Post

The license stays with all HomeTrollers in case you want to sell it in the future. Individual licenses can be moved from PC to PC as long as you only have this license active on one PC at a time.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
          X