HS-WS100+ On 3-way circuits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS-WS100+ On 3-way circuits

When using these switches on 3-way circuits, do you have to use the companion switch, or can you use a regular (non Z-Wave) 3-way switch?

If you can use a regular (non Z-wave) switch, in understand it wouldn't have all the features on the HS-WS100, and would simply turn that circuit on and off.

I have a lot of 3-way circuits in my house, trying to save costs where I can.

Originally posted by CinBRandon View Post
    When using these switches on 3-way circuits, do you have to use the companion switch, or can you use a regular (non Z-Wave) 3-way switch?

If you can use a regular (non Z-wave) switch, in understand it wouldn't have all the features on the HS-WS100, and would simply turn that circuit on and off.

I have a lot of 3-way circuits in my house, trying to save costs where I can.
    You need to use the official companion switch. Both the HS-WS100+ and HS-WD100+ use the traveler wire for signaling, not as a second path for the load like traditional switches.

Comment

As JonnyO wrote, the companion switches use the red traveler wire for control. between the red and black wires. Standard 3-way switches switch the load or line An HS-Wx100+ only controls between the line and load, with a relay on the HS-WS models and a solid state device on the HS-WD models controlling the load. The companion switch is essentially a pair of resistors of different values that each can be switched to be between neutral and the traveler. This is why many companion switches can be tied to each HS-Wx100+ device. If neither paddle of any companion is pressed, to the master that control doesn't exist. If a paddle is pressed on any companion it presents the control resistance and initiates an action that is identical to the same paddle on the master.

For the simple reason that a standard 3-way switch not having a center position that presents infinite resistance to the traveler, there is no way it could be made to work.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

By any chance, are some of the companion switches interchangeable? I know that I read that the zooz switches were ok to use a GE companion. Sure would be nice if I could re-purpose the numerous RWS-19 switches that I have.

Comment

Originally posted by jryan15 View Post
          By any chance, are some of the companion switches interchangeable? I know that I read that the zooz switches were ok to use a GE companion. Sure would be nice if I could re-purpose the numerous RWS-19 switches that I have.
          I know the GE (Jasco) companion switches use the same values for the traveler return, so they can be used with HomeSeer switches and dimmers. You can use HomeSeer companions with Jasco switches and dimmers as well. I don't know about any others.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Good to know, thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X