No announcement yet.

Rant About Z-Wave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding the Gibson review. IIRC, the door lock discovered vulnerability was limited to specific lock manufacturer. Other locks by different manufacture's did not have the issue. If a proprietary chip is used by multiple manufacturers, then the vulnerability is not in the z-wave protocol, rather the vendor's product and the implementation of the protocol.

Gibson goes on to harp about z-wave being closed and proprietary, i.e. "security by obscurity" and is bad. While earlier in his video he states security professionals do not divulge what security products nor operating systems they use as good, in fact an admirable practice. Isn't that "security by obscurity"?

I too am very invested in Z-Wave and want it to grow and improve. I somewhat have a different view regarding device manufacturers releasing all of the extended parms up front. My stance is that I shouldn't have to read technical specs and documentation to determine what the switches do, rather the HA software should present those switches with meaningful names and values in drop down lists, check boxes, and radio buttons for configuration.
    Len

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
    Linux version: Linux homeseer Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64
    Number of Devices: 633
    Number of Events: 773

Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.54.0: BLBackup
    2.0.40.0: BLLAN
    3.0.0.48: EasyTrigger
    30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
    3.0.6.2: SDJ-Health
    3.0.0.87: weatherXML
    3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by lveatch View Post
      I somewhat have a different view regarding device manufacturers releasing all of the extended parms up front. My stance is that I shouldn't have to read technical specs and documentation to determine what the switches do, rather the HA software should present those switches with meaningful names and values in drop down lists, check boxes, and radio buttons for configuration.
      The problem with HS's Z-Wave plugin is that this is coded into the plugin itself which creates a support nightmare re. new devices that come out, or if a manufactures changes how one of their devices behaves. IMHO these should be exposed through external config files so that users can modify them and create them for new products and share them on the forum.

Cheers
      Al
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Working...
      X