Help with 3-way wiring diagram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with 3-way wiring diagram

I recently invested in some WD100 and WA100. I cannot for the life of me figure out exactly how to wire these into the configuration I have now. It looks like this:

I know there have been other posts about this topic including this thread: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=184433

But the written instructions in that thread just do not make sense as I read them and look at what I have got even though it is the same current wiring diagram.

Can someone help me out with a visual aide or drawing? I really appreciate it!

Hi Brent

You can wire this with the WD switch in either location, but the simplest is putting is where the power source is - in your diagram, the bottom left location.

Using that configuration, do the following...

1. Attach the power source Hot/Black to the Line input on the WD
    2. Attach the Red traveler to the corresponding terminal on the WD
    3. Attach the Red traveler and the White neutral to the corresponding terminals on the WA (the secondary location)
    4. Cap the black cable that runs between the switches, both ends - it's not needed
    5. Attach the Black/load wire that goes to the light to the load terminal on the WD (master switch)
    6. Connect the 3 neutrals in the main location PLUS a neutral pigtail to the WD, together with a wire nut in the main WD switch location

The thing that is different with these switches and similar smart switches is that the power is controlled solely from the master switch. Communication between the master (WD) and slave (WA) is handled in low voltage over the red traveler wire.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a qualified electrician. If you have any doubts please consult one

Cheers
    James
    cheeryfool

Comment

Disclaimer: I am not a qualified electrician. Make sure this makes sense with the install manual before proceeding. Also, sorry I don't have a drawing...

1. If you are familiar with three-way light switches, throw out what you know. These things are a different kind of animal.

2. You are wiring a dimmer, and then a remote control to that dimmer. The remote (WA) connects via 1 wire (red traveler) to the dimmer (WD) & 1wire to the neutral bus. The black in the 3-wire is not used.

After cutting power at the breaker:

3. In the left box, you can install the dimmer, connecting line (black from load center), load (black to the light), traveller (red in the 3 wire), and neutral (add a white jumper). Twist all the neutrals together in a wire nut. You should have 4 whites in the bundle. Cap off the un-used black.

4. In the right box, you can install the accessory switch. Connect traveler and neutral. Cap off the unused black.

That should do it. Again, sorry no picture.

Comment

Cool, you got two replies... hopefully you get your picture between the two of them.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by B1Trash View Post
            Cool, you got two replies... hopefully you get your picture between the two of them.

We even said the same thing, albeit with different words of course
            cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
              Hi Brent

You can wire this with the WD switch in either location, but the simplest is putting is where the power source is - in your diagram, the bottom left location.

Correction on this statement. You cannot put the switches the other way around without an additional cable between them which won't be practical in most cases.

If the power is at one switch location and the load (light) is fed from the other it IS possible to put the master and slaves in either location.
              cheeryfool

Comment

Working...
              X