Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS-WS100+ / HS-WA100+ and 2GIG GC3

Hello everyone,

I purchased the HS-WS100+ / HS-WA100+ and installed them this weekend. The HS-WS100+ was learned into my 2GIG G3 almost instantaneously. Everything is working just fine but I am a perfectionist of sorts and have some questions I can't seem to get answered. I purchased the switches mainly because they are Z-Wave Plus certified but also liked the double/triple tap option. I knew going in that the double/triple tap option may not work. I am also very new to my GC3 controller so things don't come easy. Hoping to find someone using HomeSeer products with a 2Gig GoController 3. With all that being said, here it goes:

1) I installed a primary switch and an add-on switch in a 3-way circuit. Do you learn in both the add-on and the primary or only the primary switch? I was unable to get the HS-WA100+ to be added as a new device on the GC3

2) I have one circuit (different that the one completed this weekend) with 4 different switches. Is this setup the same as the 3-way switch. Meaning, once I identify the primary I just add three add-on switches?

3) Anyone been able to get the double/triple tap feature working with a 2Gig controller? 2GIG apparently does not publish any of their proprietary information so I have no idea if it has central scene capabilities or how to program these options at the panel. I understand I can use scenes to accomplish the same thing but I am looking for manual/physical double/trip tap options at the switch.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
    Dan

1. You only include the primary switch, the aux switches only send commands to the primary and not back to the controller

2. You can have multiple aux switches tied back to the primary, again they only send a command over the traveler wire back to the main. I don't know if there is a limit, but in my house I have a bunch of 4 ways (I think the electrician was bored) and have 2 aux switches tied back without issue

3. I highly doubt this will work with 2gig. I had a 2gig system a while back and found that the zwave is really limited to just turning lights on and off and not a lot of advanced stuff. I am not sure if this feature works outside of homeseer at all anyways (though could be wrong on that).

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
      1. You only include the primary switch, the aux switches only send commands to the primary and not back to the controller

2. You can have multiple aux switches tied back to the primary, again they only send a command over the traveler wire back to the main. I don't know if there is a limit, but in my house I have a bunch of 4 ways (I think the electrician was bored) and have 2 aux switches tied back without issue

3. I highly doubt this will work with 2gig. I had a 2gig system a while back and found that the zwave is really limited to just turning lights on and off and not a lot of advanced stuff. I am not sure if this feature works outside of homeseer at all anyways (though could be wrong on that).
      Thank you very much for your response WayneHead99, this clears up a bunch of stuff. I was happy to spend the extra money on the HomeSeer just for the Z-Wave Plus. Hopefully someone using these switches with 2GIG will chime in.

Peace,
      Dan

Comment

We have a GC3 panel at our vacation home, and I'm planning on adding a WS100+ to the panel the next time we're in Arizona, which will be in December. In the mean time, however, I can answer some of your questions:

(1) Just the primary switch is added to any Z-Wave controller. The auxiliary WA switches don't have Z-Wave interfaces in them. Rather, when you click on them, they send a signal over the traveler wire to the primary switch, which then lets the Z-Wave interface what's going on.

(2) Each WA switch is added to the circuit identically. So, each WA switch will require power/hot/black, neutral/white, and ground, and all the traveler wires from the various WA switches and the primary switch are connected to each other.

(3) In terms of double and triple taps, *at best* this is something that will require scenes, and will *not* be something that's done through the panel. Currently, the way 2gig works for creating scenes is that you use a Minimote to associate a switch to one or more devices (plug-in modules, switches that are connected loads, and so on) within a scene (you have to have a Minimote). The Minimote is a secondary controller.

For the double and triple taps to work, they will have to be able to be associatable by the Minimote to a scene. And I just don't know if you can associate a double or triple tap into a scene -- I frankly am not optimistic about this for various reasons. Definitively worth a try, and one that I'll be doing in December.

What you will *not* be able to do is do what you do in HomeSeer, which is create events (i.e., rules in alarm.com parlance) with double or triple taps.

Here's a good link (that itself has good links) describing the Minimote functionality as to the 2gig panel. The suretydiy forum is actually the best forum I've seen for 2gig and Z-Wave generally.

https://suretydiy.com/forums/topic/a...-for-minimote/

The 2gig GC3 panel is definitely one of the nicest panels out there -- particularly because of capacitive touch. As a Z-Wave system, it along with alarm.com are VERY limited. It's biggest plus is that the user interface is beautiful, and creating the limited rules it does allow is drop dead simple. It gives you, say, 3% of the power of HomeSeer in the most absolutely user friendly and beautiful way possible.

We just purchased our vacation home last month, and I was pleased as to how easy it was to add in Kwikset locks and the 2gig thermostat into the system and integrate them into the alarm via rules. However, since then, I've run into the limitations in a hard way. One of our Kwikset locks was reported as going offline. In HomeSeer, if I lost connectivity to a lock, I could do various things by accessing the system remotely -- I can't do anything with the alarm.com interface. I contacted my installer, who was able to send reset and rediscover network commands (equivalent to restart interface and fully optimize commands in HomeSeer parlance) to the panel, but this is not something I can do myself.

Comment

Originally posted by mikedr View Post
          We have a GC3 panel at our vacation home, and I'm planning on adding a WS100+ to the panel the next time we're in Arizona, which will be in December. In the mean time, however, I can answer some of your questions:

(1) Just the primary switch is added to any Z-Wave controller. The auxiliary WA switches don't have Z-Wave interfaces in them. Rather, when you click on them, they send a signal over the traveler wire to the primary switch, which then lets the Z-Wave interface what's going on.

(2) Each WA switch is added to the circuit identically. So, each WA switch will require power/hot/black, neutral/white, and ground, and all the traveler wires from the various WA switches and the primary switch are connected to each other.

(3) In terms of double and triple taps, *at best* this is something that will require scenes, and will *not* be something that's done through the panel. Currently, the way 2gig works for creating scenes is that you use a Minimote to associate a switch to one or more devices (plug-in modules, switches that are connected loads, and so on) within a scene (you have to have a Minimote). The Minimote is a secondary controller.

For the double and triple taps to work, they will have to be able to be associatable by the Minimote to a scene. And I just don't know if you can associate a double or triple tap into a scene -- I frankly am not optimistic about this for various reasons. Definitively worth a try, and one that I'll be doing in December.

What you will *not* be able to do is do what you do in HomeSeer, which is create events (i.e., rules in alarm.com parlance) with double or triple taps.

Here's a good link (that itself has good links) describing the Minimote functionality as to the 2gig panel. The suretydiy forum is actually the best forum I've seen for 2gig and Z-Wave generally.

https://suretydiy.com/forums/topic/a...-for-minimote/

The 2gig GC3 panel is definitely one of the nicest panels out there -- particularly because of capacitive touch. As a Z-Wave system, it along with alarm.com are VERY limited. It's biggest plus is that the user interface is beautiful, and creating the limited rules it does allow is drop dead simple. It gives you, say, 3% of the power of HomeSeer in the most absolutely user friendly and beautiful way possible.

We just purchased our vacation home last month, and I was pleased as to how easy it was to add in Kwikset locks and the 2gig thermostat into the system and integrate them into the alarm via rules. However, since then, I've run into the limitations in a hard way. One of our Kwikset locks was reported as going offline. In HomeSeer, if I lost connectivity to a lock, I could do various things by accessing the system remotely -- I can't do anything with the alarm.com interface. I contacted my installer, who was able to send reset and rediscover network commands (equivalent to restart interface and fully optimize commands in HomeSeer parlance) to the panel, but this is not something I can do myself.
          Mikedr,

Thank you very much for your very informative response. I will take a look at the link you provided. I actually purchased my system through SuretyDIY and subscribe to their forum.

You have just confirmed what I suspected to be true. Again, the Z-Wave plus is worth the extra 7.00 to get the HomeSeer over the others (at least I think)

I would greatly appreciate any knowledge you gain after December!! Also hoping that 2GIG comes out with a firmware release very soon to boost the power of the GC3.

Peace,
          Dan

Comment

Originally posted by pdobrien3 View Post
            Mikedr,

Thank you very much for your very informative response. I will take a look at the link you provided. I actually purchased my system through SuretyDIY and subscribe to their forum.

You have just confirmed what I suspected to be true. Again, the Z-Wave plus is worth the extra 7.00 to get the HomeSeer over the others (at least I think)

I would greatly appreciate any knowledge you gain after December!! Also hoping that 2GIG comes out with a firmware release very soon to boost the power of the GC3.

Peace,
            Dan
            Mikedr,

Just checking back to see if you can shed any more light on this after hopefully being able to run some tests.

Thanks in advance,
            Dan

Comment

Sorry for the late reply! Sadly, I'm not sure if this is going to happen or not now. We're leaning towards renting out the place, and in a bid to "keep it simple, stupid," I've been instructed by the better half to avoid adding home automation stuff . . . .

Comment

Working...
              X