Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

are switch events of RWS-17 or 19 switches monitored by HS3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

are switch events of RWS-17 or 19 switches monitored by HS3?

I think that the answer is no, but I wanted to double check. When an RWS-17 or 19 switch is used to turn a light on or off, is that event able to be captured by HS3? I don't see any device state changes when the switches are toggled manually.

Thanks.

Hello jryan15 and welcome to the HomeSeer board!

Unfortunately the quick answer is no.

HS3 is fully capable of both transmitting and receiving X10 powerline signals using a hardware interface (CM11A, Ti-103, CM15A or compatible device) and the matching plugin.

However, the RWS-17 wall switches are 1-Way X10 devices in that they receive X10 commands but cannot transmit their status back onto the power line. This means that HS cannot know when the switch is manually turned on, off or dimmed. If you want HS to know the state of locally controllable devices, such as wall switches, you will need to find and install 2-way devices that can report their state. I use SwitchLinc and LampLinc 2-way devices from SmartHome.com, but these were replaced quite some time ago by their Insteon technology.

If you are just getting into home automation you might consider looking at other technologies such as Insteon, UPB and Zwave. If you really want to stick with X10 then Ebay may likely become your best friend. Also, folks here on the board will occasionally sell their X10 components so keep an eye on the 'For Sale' section of the board.

Here are the SmartHome 'Linc device part numbers I use in case you want to search for them...
    Wall switch dimmers: 2380, 2381
    Wall switch relay: 2383
    Plug-in module: 2000STW

There are quite a few folks on the board here that still use X10 for some (or all) of their controls and they may have additional recommendations.
    Best regards,
    -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
    Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Thanks for getting back with me. That's what I figured about the lights, but thought it was worth checking. Appreciate the recommendation, but I can't swing the $$$'s to go to newer technology switches.

I happened across >30 of the RWS-17 and 19 switches years ago for a couple bucks a piece. Since they don't have much resale value now, I went ahead and installed them around the house to give me something to tinker with.

If anyone has some reliable motion control routines (I'm using RMS-18's), I'd enjoy seeing what's in use. Right now I'm working with a couple methods by RPrade and macromark.

Comment

No problem!

I answered your question about X10 motion sensors in this thread: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=1278455
        Best regards,
        -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
        Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Working...
        X