HS-WD100+ Ramp Rate Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS-WD100+ Ramp Rate Question

Looking for some advice on ramp rate settings (although I don't think there is a solution with the current firmware). The default settings for step (1) and timer (3) produce a very slow ramp. The problem I have is that the ramp rate is so slow that when anyone else in my house turns the switch on or off they think it is not working and they hit it again, multiple times. Often they end up activating the dim function when doing this. If I change the local ramp rate settings to speed things up then I can produce the effect that most people are accustomed to - i.e. the light comes on/off immediately after touching the switch. The problem with the faster ramp rate settings is that this makes it nearly impossible to dim up/down the light locally. This is because the ramp rate is so fast that the light dims faster than a person can respond. I realize that there are 2 ramp rate settings however this does not resolve my problem. I find it hard to believe I am the only person who has ran into this problem? I am new to HS an I know that local vs. remote control is a fairly new addition to the firmware. It seems to me that a better way would be to have a ramp rate for dimming and a ramp rate for switching instead of how it is currently configured. Maybe someone has already solved my problem and if that is the case then I am all ears.

Not sure if this fixes your issue, but what I do is setup events based off tapping the switch to turn it on. I have different levels of the light to come on based off the time of day (house modes based off another virtual switch). Doing this, we very rarely adjust the level of dimness manually. My event also factors in if the lights are on during the day (full power), and the house changes to evening, they automatically dim. Still on the fence about if I like that aspect of it or not, but the single tap functionality based off time of day has been a big hit in the house and removed the need to adjust dimmers manually.
    Attached Files

Comment

Been there...I noticed the same thing. My wife had a problem with this and told me that she didn't like the one switch I have in our stairway . One solution I had was create a double tap event which would set the light to 35% - this is our usual ambient lighting in the evening. The other suggestion I first came up with was to set the light to fully on, then bring it down to a setting you might like. This larger swing does help. I also have an echo Dot and tell her to set the light at a specific dim level.

Robert
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

I was wondering if I could program an event based off the single tap. I thought the single tap was hardwired to turn the load on/off? I am going to experiment with the single tap and slow local/fast remote ramp rates. I have a bunch of echo dots and can use voice commands all day long but I don't think I should have to use voice commands to do what I should be able to do with the physical switch. I say this not because voice control isn't convenient but if I am standing next to the switch it is easier to just use the physical switch than Alexa.

Comment

Originally posted by wsume99 View Post
          I was wondering if I could program an event based off the single tap. I thought the single tap was hardwired to turn the load on/off? I am going to experiment with the single tap and slow local/fast remote ramp rates. I have a bunch of echo dots and can use voice commands all day long but I don't think I should have to use voice commands to do what I should be able to do with the physical switch. I say this not because voice control isn't convenient but if I am standing next to the switch it is easier to just use the physical switch than Alexa.
          That's how I solve the problem you have. Local ramp rate is set rather slow so dim level can be manually adjusted easily. HS looks for a single tap and sends On command, for which remote ramp rate is set faster. This overrides the slower local ramp rate setting.

Comment

You are correct that the single tap does control the local load, but HS sees the event and adjusted accordingly in my events. In fact you don't even notice if the light was at a different level and adjusted. It just works, well unless HS server is down, then it's just a dumb switch.

Comment

Thanks for this guys. I never thought about going this route...Not sure why...

Robert
              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. It really helps to get info from people who have encountered the same issues I have.

Comment

I created a virtual device with different values based on the time of day and used that device in an event to set the light output depending on the time of day. So that fixes my issue with the lights turning on slowly. Now I have the issue of them turning off slowly. I created an event that turns the light off if Scene 002 key is pressed however the light ramps off slowly and the off event shows it was never triggered?? I also tried triggering the event if the Tower Light was set to off and it made no difference. Am I missing something?

Code:
                  IF	Tower Light Scene had its value set to Scene 002 Key Pressed	
                  Then	Set Device	Tower Light to Off

Comment

Originally posted by wsume99 View Post
                    I created a virtual device with different values based on the time of day and used that device in an event to set the light output depending on the time of day. So that fixes my issue with the lights turning on slowly. Now I have the issue of them turning off slowly. I created an event that turns the light off if Scene 002 key is pressed however the light ramps off slowly and the off event shows it was never triggered?? I also tried triggering the event if the Tower Light was set to off and it made no difference. Am I missing something?

Code:
                    IFTower Light Scene had its value set to Scene 002 Key Pressed
                    ThenSet DeviceTower Light to Off

You don't need to create an event to turn them off. Disable that event and just use the switch normally.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                      You don't need to create an event to turn them off. Disable that event and just use the switch normally.
                      I started there and with the slow local ramp rate the load turns off very slow. That is why I tried to create the event to handle it just like the slow ramp on issue.

Comment

Can you show a screen shot of the device settings? I want to see how you have the ramp rates set. Also the event you are trying to do.

Comment

What I am trying to accomplish is to have the light turn on and off quickly but at the same time retain the ability to dim the light locally. The workaround you suggested earlier accomplishes this for turning on the light and retaining local dimming ability but switching off the light remains very slow. So I thought I would just create a similar event to turn the light off quickly by sending a remote off command when the off switch is pressed.

I have attached images of the ramp settings and the off event I created.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I've setup the the exact same configuration that wsume99 has:
                            - hs-wd100+, running 5.19, with remote ramp rates set to 99/1.

Like wsume99, I'm trying to configure it so that I can manually dim the light as needed, but pressing the switch on or off will cause the light to immediately go to fullly on or fully off, respectively.

Like others have recommended, I have two events: one for handling the Scene 001 Key press to turn the light on, one for handling the Scene 002 Key press to trun the light off.

Here they are:
                            - IF Lighting Den Den Central Scene had its value set to Scene 001 Key Pressed
                            - Then Set Device Lighting Den Den Light to On

- IF Lighting Den Den Central Scene had its value set to Scene 002 Key Pressed
                            - The Set Device Lighting Den Den Light to Off

When I press the switch on, the light immediately turns on with no ramping, yay! When I press the switch off, the light fades off instead of turning off instantly.

Thoughts?

Comment

I'd like to do something similar.

Scene 001 Key Pressed = On at last setting with no ramp
                              Scene 002 Key Pressed = Off with no ramp.

This would mimic the old rotary style dimmer we had before these units. It would appear I'd be in the same boat as whydna is in now with the off function.

I sort of wish the firmware allowed remote control to include ramp (using either default remote ramp value or a custom ramp setting) or no ramp at all when setting a value on the device. I can envision event scenes where I'd want no ramp at all, the default ramp, or a custom one if I want a scene to be done just a little faster/slower than the default settings.

Comment

Working...
                              X