No announcement yet.

Restarting Homeseer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmmm, Jon, is there any possibity to add this functionality to Jon00RestartHS.exe ? Perhaps a switch to shutdown HS but not restart it ?

Comment

What functionality are you talking about?

To just shutdown homeseer you use the scripting command hs.shutdown()
      Jon

Comment

Jon00,

For what it's worth, it is working perfectly here, with no errors.

I too used SafeRestart for quite a while. I still have some events set up for it, but it doesn't seem real reliable.

The only thing I still use it for is to force a reboot automatically once per week. Jon: If you are ever "under the hood" working on this again, it would be breat to have a command line argument that forced a reboot, rather than rebooting only if you can't get HS shutdown. No biggie though - It's great the way it is.

Steve

Comment

What functionality are you talking about?

To just shutdown homeseer you use the scripting command hs.shutdown()
          Ideally I'm looking for a way to externally shut down HS gracefully from a command line (or in this case a Batch file called as a scheduled task)

Jon: If you are ever "under the hood" working on this again, it would be breat to have a command line argument that forced a reboot, rather than rebooting only if you can't get HS shutdown. No biggie though - It's great the way it is.
          That would do me nicely My HS server also ruins Cinemars MLServer and J river Media center - I can close both of these from the command line and was hoping to be able to close HS the same way. I was then planning on using Shutdown.exe to reboot the PC.

Comment

If you look at my Homeseer Application/Process control package, it does exactly that..but obviously not from a command line.
            Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
              If you look at my Homeseer Application/Process control package, it does exactly that..but obviously not from a command line.
              But Jon, I got the impression (maybe wrong) that what I wanted was a combination of the two. I want to gracefully shut down HS, then reboot. Can I do both with the Process Control package?

Steve

Comment

Steve,

Absolutely! How to do this is given in the QA at the end of the docs.

Homeseer is given 60 seconds to shutdown before the PC reboots.
                Jon

Comment

Yup, that works. I guess in reality if I'm not killing other processes with that package, all you are doing is calling the windows shutdown.exe, right? Is there any reason my event could not just call it directly?

Steve

Comment

Of course not!
                    Jon

Comment

Hi,

I gave this .exe a try but I get errors too.

I set it up to run from an event. It shuts down homeseer ok, but appears to hang up while tring to restart it.

Is there a fix for this ?

Joel

Comment

Hi Joel,

Could you please give me some more info.

What do you mean by hang up?

Is the exe in your homeseer 2 directory?
                        Jon

Comment

I run this every night via an event with no problems.
                          Running HS PRO V2.5.0.49 & HS Pro V2.5.0.51

Comment

Hi Joel,

Could you please give me some more info.

What do you mean by hang up?

Is the exe in your homeseer 2 directory?
                            Everything is as it should be I think. The exe is in the homeseer 2 directory and I have set the option to close homeseer with "X" too.

By hang up, I mean an error window popping up with stuff that looks like jibberish to me

I believe it is the exact same error message that Sponnath showed earlier...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hmmm..

You are the second person that has reported this error.

I've just looked at the code again and I can see nothing obvious. All I can do is to compile a new version with more error trapping to find out the offending line.

It's most strange that this is working for most people but not for a few. It is written in VB.NET so I wonder if something on your machine is not referenced correctly.

This will have to wait until the weekend but I will email you a new copy to try once I have done this.

One thing (and I'm clutching at straws here) , can you check how Homeseer.exe is formatted in your Homeseer 2 directory. Is it Homeseer.exe OR HomeSeer.exe ?

If it is the first, try renaming it so the S in Seer is a capital. This is how it is formatted in the exe.
                              Jon

Comment

Hmmm..

You are the second person that has reported this error.

I've just looked at the code again and I can see nothing obvious. All I can do is to compile a new version with more error trapping to find out the offending line.

It's most strange that this is working for most people but not for a few. It is written in VB.NET so I wonder if something on your machine is not referenced correctly.

This will have to wait until the weekend but I will email you a new copy to try once I have done this.

One thing (and I'm clutching at straws here) , can you check how Homeseer.exe is formatted in your Homeseer 2 directory. Is it Homeseer.exe OR HomeSeer.exe ?

If it is the first, try renaming it so the S in Seer is a capital. This is how it is formatted in the exe.
                                I've got HomeSeer.exe with a capital "S" like you indicated, so that's not the problem...

I don't know if it's relevant or not but the operating system on that machine in Windows 2000 Professional.

Anyway, take your time Jon... Don't rush on my account ! If it works all the better, if not then no big deal.

Can't complain on a freebie...

Comment

Working...
                                X