No announcement yet.

Restarting Homeseer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you tried the scripting function hs.shutdown?
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
      Have you tried the scripting function hs.shutdown?
      I guess the suggestion is to create a .vbs and use Windows Scripting Host outside of Homeseer. I was thinking of an executable that I call from within a batch file. I'm not exactly sure how to use a .vbs from within a batch file. Would I have to create a VB program and compile it? Hopefully there is an easier way. Thanks!

EDIT:

Ahhh... Search is a wonderful thing! I think that I found an old post on how to do this. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
      Last edited by automateme; August 6, 2008, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Your wish is my command

Just place Jon00ShutdownHS.exe in your Homeseer 2 directory and run it however you wish. I have not tested it as a command line but it should work.

Like the restart application, it will keep trying to gracefully shutdown Homeseer for 2 minutes. If that fails, Homesser is killed.
        Attached Files
        Jon

Comment

Originally posted by sponnath View Post
          I have now reset it 3 times successfully. Trying to figure out what messes it up.
          Steve,

As I was playing around writing the shutdown version, I also reloaded the restart version and made a change which increase some of the timings. Give it a try and see if it makes any difference to your issues.
          Attached Files
          Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
            Your wish is my command

Just place Jon00ShutdownHS.exe in your Homeseer 2 directory and run it however you wish. I have not tested it as a command line but it should work.

Like the restart application, it will keep trying to gracefully shutdown Homeseer for 2 minutes. If that fails, Homesser is killed.
            Wow!!!! Thanks Jon. I can't wait to try it this evening when I get home. This will solve one of my remaining concerns over moving into VMware land. I'll report back later today on how it works from the command line.

Comment

Your wish is my command

Works like a champ Jon. Thanks again!

Comment

Steve,
                As I was playing around writing the shutdown version, I also reloaded the restart version and made a change which increase some of the timings. Give it a try and see if it makes any difference to your issues.
                Thanks. Will try this tonight.

I noticed that my existing 75G Raptor drive in my Abit AB9 Pro was getting a lot of errors. I'm not sure that one of the Sata headers liked that Raptor. I got a new Raptor, let the old one offline as emergency backup and installed the new one on a different Sata header. I no longer get the drive read/write errors. I wanted to eliminate any possibilities of system problems before continuing on this 'quest'.

Comment

Nope, just tried it. Same error.

Sure wished this worked. Getting tired of restarted HS every morning.

Anything else I can check? Are you looking for something in particular to find HS? I start it from the start up folder using a delay exe.

===================================================

************** Exception Text **************
                  System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system cannot find the file specified
                  at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(ProcessSt artInfo startInfo)
                  at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
                  at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
                  at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(String fileName)
                  at WindowsApplication1.Form1.Form1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
                  at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
                  at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
                  at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
                  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
                  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
                  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
                  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
                  at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
                  at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
                  at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
                  at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
                  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(M essage& m)
                  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Mes sage& m)
                  at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
                  mscorlib
                  Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
                  Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
                  CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
                  ----------------------------------------
                  WindowsApplication1
                  Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
                  Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
                  CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/HomeSeer%202/Jon00RestartHS_A.exe
                  Microsoft.VisualBasic
                  Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
                  Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
                  CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
                  System.Windows.Forms
                  CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
                  System
                  CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
                  System.Drawing
                  CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
                  System.Runtime.Remoting
                  CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

Comment

Steve,

Try version B. I have hard coded the path to Homeseer (C:\Program Files\Homeseer 2\HomeSeer.exe) with this version. See if that now works.

If that fails, it must be something taking ownership of the file, maybe your start-up delayer program.
                    Attached Files
                    Jon

Comment

Originally posted by automateme View Post
                      I guess the suggestion is to create a .vbs and use Windows Scripting Host outside of Homeseer.

EDIT: Ahhh... Search is a wonderful thing! I think that I found an old post on how to do this. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
                      Actually, I made the poor assumption that you had a way to inform HS that it was time to shut down. One alternative that might work is the Script Connector plug-in. But it sounds as if Jon has already got a simpler solution.
                      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                        Actually, I made the poor assumption that you had a way to inform HS that it was time to shut down. One alternative that might work is the Script Connector plug-in. But it sounds as if Jon has already got a simpler solution.
                        No, there is no specific way to notify a running application (in this case Homeseer). VMware gives you the choice of "Restarting" the guest, which is the equivalent of doing a Start->Shutdown->Restart from within Windows. Optionally, you can have VMware run a batch file before it does the Start->Shutdown->Restart. That is why I needed the application that Jon so kindly created. Now, I can add the line "start /WAIT Jon00ShutdownHS.exe" in my shutdown pre-exec batch file and gracefully shutdown Homeseer before VMware pulls the plug. I have several Guest-VM's on this Host running Windows 2003 Server, and when I need to apply Microsoft security patches to the Host and reboot, it was a pain to go to each Windows and Linux guest and shut them down individually before I rebooted the Host. I have been working to clean-up all of the guest shutdowns, so that when I Start->Shutdown->Restart the Windows 2003 Host, it automatically (and cleanly) shuts down the guests first. Getting VERY close to having this work perfectly.

Comment

Steve,

Try version B. I have hard coded the path to Homeseer (C:\Program Files\Homeseer 2\HomeSeer.exe) with this version. See if that now works.

If that fails, it must be something taking ownership of the file, maybe your start-up delayer program.
                          I'll give this one a try. I had left my machine running for a while to see what long term impact was with the version with longer timings. It just ran for a couple of weeks (I was out of town) until last night. I thought maybe I was out of the woods. Last night the only thing I did was to update my trendmicro virus software. This morning, same issue. But that's a couple of weeks plus without incident!

I don't think the restart software is an issue as it only starts HS on a reboot. But I won''t rule that out. I will do some tests of HS that I have manually started and some started by that software.

Comment

Jon,
                            Just a FYI. I recently began having problems with the RestartHS program. It's been working without a problem for at least a year, but the last couple of weeks it's generated "HomeSeer.exe is already running" or something like that. (Two message boxes.) If I click the two OK's, then start HS, it would restart fine.

I just downloaded the latest version in the first post of this thread, and it worked without the errors. I'm running XP Home, so I didn't really think it would make any difference, but it did.

Comment

It could be that as your system has grown, the time taken for Homeseer to shutdown has gone past the pre-set limits in the original exe. I increased this in later versions which is why it is now probably working.
                              Jon

Comment

Oops. Misinformation.

Jon,
                                Sorry, but I was wrong. My initial success with the new version was a fluke.

I just tried it again and it failed the same way as before. I opened Task Manager and noticed two instances of HomeSeer.exe in the process list. Each disappeared, in turn, when I clicked on the OK buttons in the message boxes. What is more strange is that the program now waits much longer than I would wait before restarting HS.

I stop HS manually by selecting File/Exit from the menu, not by clicking on the red X in the corner. Are the sequences of events different for the two modes?

Comment

Working...
                                X