Automating pool - Salt Water Chlorinator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automating pool - Salt Water Chlorinator

I have another scenario for my house and want to get advise on the best way to approach it.

My saltwater chlorine generator (SWCG) and my pool pump are wired to a single timer box within the panel. The pump and SWCG are powered on at the same time. I want to put my pool pump and SWCG on a zwave switch so I can automate it. Both are 220V

I also want to be able to turn on the pump without turning on the SWCG but I never should be able to turn on the SWCG without the pump being on.

What is the best way to achieve this?

I was going to buy 2 GE 12726 switches and have 1 GE 12726 wired to the panel box and to the pump and the other wired to the previous GE 12726 and to the SWCG. Will this work? I fear that when the first GE 12726 is off the second GE 12726 zwave device loses power and is lost from my system.

Aeotec Heavy Duty Smart Switch is 220. I use mine on 120, so I can't comment on it's 220 prowess. You definitely don't want a zwave node out there without power. I've seen first hand what happens when a routing node goes missing. I unplugged a GE Outdoor link (I was using to boost signal into the garage) to plug something else in, and didn't know the havoc that causes. I know now. it was insane. It was like the controller routed all packets to the missing node. I had no idea what was going on. I downloaded Z-Seer to find the problem. So, bad idea to have the other node powered off by the first one. Maybe hack into the on/off switch of the chlorine thing and put a relay there? You could maybe trust it with it's own zwave device with a secondary failsafe of some kind. I automated a saltwater reef tank back in the day with x10 modules, but I had a controller monitoring the PH. What's monitoring the Chlorine?

Comment

We just (4 days ago) replaced our chlorine generator to the tune of nearly $600 bucks. (A pool company wanted $1200 but my wife is a rocket scientist and wanted to do it herself...) I think you are playing with fire. If your chlorine levels are too high, just reduce its output a bit until you reach and maintain your desired level.

But just reading the manual, the salt cell should have a sensor on it that knows whether or not the pump is running before it turns on. If you really want to do this, seems to me that it would not run if the pump is not on. Don't know how long it would take for it to figure it out. You're pool equipment company would know for sure.

Comment

I have a Hayward salt system for my pool. My observations is that it will not kick in until there is sufficient flow. As well, when set it will turn on and off as needed. How do I know this? Because when it's generating it consumes about 100 watts more electricity. Since my pool shed' s panel is monitored for power consumption, I can tell when it's generating chlorine.

Robert
        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
          I have a Hayward salt system for my pool. My observations is that it will not kick in until there is sufficient flow. As well, when set it will turn on and off as needed. How do I know this? Because when it's generating it consumes about 100 watts more electricity. Since my pool shed' s panel is monitored for power consumption, I can tell when it's generating chlorine.

Robert
          Thanks for sharing this, I went to investigate and it does have a flow checker so I can put it on its own GE timer and have to worry about this being on and the pump being off.

I just went to test it, I cut the power to the pump and power on the chlorinater and it did not go on.

This solves my problem

Comment

Working...
          X