Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best approach for AV/TV remote? (Want to use RedEye)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best approach for AV/TV remote? (Want to use RedEye)

I'm looking for the best approach to TV/AV remote interfacing. HS integration isn't actually a requirement, though it doesn't hurt.

What I was hoping to use was the Redeye Remote:

http://thinkflood.com/products/redeye/

However, I've seen mixed reviews online - those who like it say it's the best thing since sliced bread. But there's enough people who don't like it that it gives me pause. Many say it's just hard to setup, other say they have wifi trouble. I don't mind a convoluted setup as long as the end result works well, but if it has problems then that's an issue. Anyone try it?

Otherwise, if anyone has a solid approach through HS that works well and HSTouch on iPhone compatible I'm open to look at it...

regards,

Paul

I've used Red Eye. Based on my experience, I can't recommend it. The device would lock-up all the time and I'd have to go into the basement and reset it.

Comment

For me its got to be the global cache itach unit intergrated with hstouch. I have it controlling my entire av setup (apart from the ps3 but im working on that). It works well with the ultraGCIR plugin, i would not use anything else!

Comment

I'm a Harmony remote believer, I've had mine for years, and it is still great and supports the newest equipment. If you do some careful research you can even get one with support for zwave.
        HS Install Date: Feb. 16, 2007

HS3 Pro, Z-Wave, Insteon, BLStat, HS Touch Server, MyQ

WeatherXML, BLBackup, BLLAN, BLLock, Restart, CaddX, OpenSprinkler

Comment

Originally posted by bailers View Post
          For me its got to be the global cache itach unit intergrated with hstouch. I have it controlling my entire av setup (apart from the ps3 but im working on that). It works well with the ultraGCIR plugin, i would not use anything else!
          I will second this, but mine is controlling my PS3 as well. The Harmony IR connector for the PS3 has been flawless.

Comment

You could get an Iguana works unit:
            http://iguanaworks.net/

Then use something like the pyramid IR repeaters to send the IR to any room in the house.

Use wirc or something custom rolled to get/send the IR.

--Dan
            Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Bailers:

this might help for controlling the PS3:
              http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmo.../dp/B00267S7XW

Not tried it myself but looks cool.

We use a harmony 880 and i love it.

Raptor
              HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
              53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
              https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

We also use a Harmony remote. It's the only one my wife has been willing to learn to use. It has worked flawlessly for years.
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

A comment, then a question. I've been using RedEye for some time and love it. One touch of my iPad and it controls all of my AV equipment. They fixed a lot of problems in the latest releast.

As for the question, any idea how to control RedEye from HS? The RedEye device has a website, but I can't seem to get HS to push the button for me. I'd love to tell my HS to have RedEye turn on the TV when I get up in the morning.

Comment

Status Update

I wanted to let the community know that Redeye as really grown up since my last post. It's stable, it's got new features, and it now includes bidirectional network software -- which means real connection to HS. HS can trigger A/V controls and Redeye can trigger HS scripts. Sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by madmellow View Post
                      I wanted to let the community know that Redeye as really grown up since my last post. It's stable, it's got new features, and it now includes bidirectional network software -- which means real connection to HS. HS can trigger A/V controls and Redeye can trigger HS scripts. Sweet!

How do you connect the network software to HS so that HS can trigger A/V-controls?

Comment

Working...
                      X