Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob product recommendation

Hi all,

Looking to get into HA and was looking for a recommendation on a zwave controller. The project will be some basic zwave light switches and outlets, but more importantly re-use of existing wires door, window and motion sensors for basic notification and other event triggers. (I'll post specific advice on the project in the security section I just spotted in the forums).

It seems like the two entry level options are the Zee S2 for $200 or just the HS3 software for $250 with a $40 USB stick (total $290).

I would run HS3 on an Ubuntu VM on ESX and pass the USB stick to that VM. Is this a valid scenario? Anyone do this?

Is there an advantage to the $290 option?

Obviously i'm in control of the hardware as my ESX is likely more reliable that the RPi under the hood of the S2. Positioning in the house shouldn't a problem with either.

Does the HS3 software path allow me to later migrate to a different OS or hardware? Or is there some hardware specific lockdown mechanism for the license? e.g. Can I later move the software to my own RPi or other server?

Is there any other advantage I get for the $290?

Does the Zee S2 also entitle me a software license that I can just install on Linux if I don't like the shipped hardware (or it fails down the line)?

Thank you, and sorry if this is already answered.

-EE

I have heard that people have trouble passing a USB Zwave transceiver to the ESX VM. I have heard that the way around this is to run a Zee and control it from your HS3 server across network. the other nice piece about the Zee is that you can install it in the most optimum location of your home to get the best zwave network footprint.

Personally, I bought my own RPI 3, HS smartstick+, and HS3 for linux standard. and was off and running after a week of building my raspbian server to host it. The nice part about the full blown controllers is that the OS configuration component of the server is handled by HS. The drawback is the licensing for HS3 is tied to the server.

Comment

I had contacted Homeseer Customer Service a couple of weeks ago and asked about hardware failure on the S6 down the road and how that would work. I was told that they have not had a hardware failure on the S6, but that if it was to happen, that Homeseer would work with me on a new unit that would be discounted since I had already purchased the license with the original unit. I know you are talking about the Zee, but I would guess they would be the same end results.

Comment

Originally posted by ee1 View Post
        It seems like the two entry level options are the Zee S2 for $200 or just the HS3 software for $250 with a $40 USB stick (total $290).
        Although the Zee will do what you want it is limited to 5 plug-ins. Going in this may not seem like an issues but the deeper you get into using HA the more you want to do. I am new (less than 2 years) with Homeseer and use a HomeTroller-SEL and love it. Originally I was going to just use my hardware but in the end it was just as reasonable to get the Hometroller-SEL.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by MarkN View Post
          Although the Zee will do what you want it is limited to 5 plug-ins. Going in this may not seem like an issues but the deeper you get into using HA the more you want to do. I am new (less than 2 years) with Homeseer and use a HomeTroller-SEL and love it. Originally I was going to just use my hardware but in the end it was just as reasonable to get the Hometroller-SEL.

Mark
          Unfortunately, from my experience I agree. I bought a Zee and have outgrown it after six months. I'll probably buy the SEL but unsure if I'll get a z-net or z-stick to go with it.

Comment

Noob product recommendation

That is honestly one of the reasons I went with purchasing my own RPI3, a USB Zwave controller, and HS3 standard. I have the ability to move the HS3 application to another computer if my needs get beyond the hardware available in an RPI. Note that the The HS3 standard/pro license also gives you access to HS3 for Linux.

If your objective is to VM host the server you could purchase HS3 standard/Pro and a USB controller (I like my HS smartstick+). The two major hurdles will be
            1. Getting the USB Zwave controller to be detected by the VM. (Someone with experience with this type of config will have to speak to it)
            2. Getting the USB Zwave controller in a good spot for reception throughout your house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That was the reason I purchased the software separately, the license means that it can be installed on either Linux / windows, and the hardware can be changed over time. It ended up on Linux Ubuntu on an XU4 Odroid, about 3 times faster than a PI but same teeny footprint. If it does need to be upgraded it will go on a Small Form Factor Windows PC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X