Issues with boards not able to reconnect again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issues with boards not able to reconnect again

I was moving one Nodemcu board from the PC USB power to the USB outlet and I noted that the board would not reconnect, I tried reconnecting but it would not connect. I decided to plug back to the PC USB and Upload the API again. It connected fine, then I moved it to the power USB outlet and now is connecting fine. I think this happened with the other two boards that right now are in disconnect status. I will post my results when I will update the other two.

Thanks,
    Aldo

I can not seem to find a common denominator, I have 4 identical ESP8266 Hiletgo Nodemcu, two of those connect no matter what I do, the other two only connect if I use the USB connected to the computer. They all have the same custom API, power supply and board. Is anyone experiencing the same issue as mine?

Thanks,
    Aldo

Comment

In theory, it could be:
      • Power related
      • WIFI related
      • Board interactions
      • Configuration

Some questions:
      1. For the USB wall plug, what is the output amperage?
      2. Does the physical location of the node seem to make any difference?
      3. When you say it works when they are plugged into the USB on your PC, is that the same PC that is running HS3 and plugin? Do you see the same behavior when attached to another PC?
      4. Look for this var in the sketch --> const byte BoardAdd = 1; <--, make sure it is different in each sketch. It needs to represent the right board address. I once got two boards set with the same address. Funny things happened.
      5. When one of these boards won't connect, if you press the board reset button, do you see anything logged in the debug window in the plugin?
      Last edited by logbuilder; June 24, 2017, 02:13 PM.

Comment

I had the same kinda problem with connecting to the network when I first started playing Arduino. Seemed that my power supply wasn't sourcing enough current . Changed it out for one with higher current rating and problem went away.

Robert
        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Interesting, I was trying to debug on the same theory.
          Power Related - As langenet mentioned, this would be my next strategy, although less likely since I have few on the same power supply, I'm using these CanaKit Raspberry Pi Micro USB Power Supply / Adapter / Charger. I will try something higher AMP.
          WIFI related - One of those boards are outside far from the access point and never lose connection while the other two are close to the access point.
          BoardAdd is different for all of them
          I use the laptop to configure the board, I upload the program, I close the Arduino Application and Homeseer shows is connected fine. I plug it into the power supply mentioned above and it is not working no matter if I reset the board, reconnect and etc.

Thank you guys for the help,
          Aldo

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
          In theory, it could be:
          • Power related
          • WIFI related
          • Board interactions
          • Configuration

Some questions:
          1. For the USB wall plug, what is the output amperage?
          2. Does the physical location of the node seem to make any difference?
          3. When you say it works when they are plugged into the USB on your PC, is that the same PC that is running HS3 and plugin? Do you see the same behavior when attached to another PC?
          4. Look for this var in the sketch --> const byte BoardAdd = 1; <--, make sure it is different in each sketch. It needs to represent the right board address. I once got two boards set with the same address. Funny things happened.
          5. When one of these boards won't connect, if you press the board reset button, do you see anything logged in the debug window in the plugin?

Comment

I did more testing:
            I put another power supply about 2 Amps. Same issue
            The board is getting wifi fine because it works when I power it via the USB attached to the PC.
            The board API has a different boardadd ID.
            This is what is odd, when I upload the program again and keep the USB plugged into the board everything works fine. As soon as I unplug and plug the power supply it would not work. Same behavior with the other card.

Comment

So it sounds like you have 4 boards. 2 work fine on wall power and 2 won't work on wall power.

If you took one of the boards that is currently working and loaded in the sketch from one that is not working, would it work? And if you loaded a working sketch onto a problem board, would it work? Trying to eliminate the sketch as the problem.

Comment

I think I have figure out the issue, hopefully there is a fix/suggestion for it. I have three of these sensors (picture attached)in the sump pump. Each of them are connected to a CAT6 wire, so the first one is connected to the wire orange/orange white, the second to the blue/blue white and etc. The cat6 is about 10 ft long from the sump pump to the board. At the end of the cat6 I soldered the board pins. When I disconnect the pins it works.
                I duplicated the same configuration on another board without the CAT6 and it works without issues.
                Attached Files

Comment

I had the exact same problem and tried different power supplies, sensor, etc and nothing worked. I do not know what the problem is, but I discovered that if I send a disconnect commands after it tired to connect X times (even though it never connected), and then tried to reconnect it seems to solve my problem. I hope it solves your problem.

WiFi.begin(ssid,password);

int wificnt=0;
                  while (WiFi.status() != WL_CONNECTED) {
                  delay(500);
                  Serial.print(".");
                  wificnt=wificnt+1;
                  if (wificnt>15) { // Try to connect 15 times- If no connnect that reset and try again
                  WiFi.disconnect();
                  delay(1000);
                  WiFi.begin (ssid,password);
                  wificnt=0;
                  Serial.println ("Restart Connection");
                  }
                  }

Comment

Could you show us a diagram on how you have it wired?

Those devices, are they just HIGH/LOW devices attached to digital pins? Do each have their own pin? Do all boards have these sensors or only the ones that don't work?

Comment

These are the pictures of sensors for the sump pump. All of these sensors are connected with one CAT6 wire. I soldered the two yellow wires from the sensor ( I believe are they just HIGH/LOW devices attached to digital pins i.e. D1 , D2 , D3 ) that I soldered to each pair on the cat6 i.e. orange/white orange and etc. Without attaching these sensors and using your DHT11 program that you kindly gave me, they has been stable since yesterday. (P.S. I implemented all the DTT11 on each board, they work fantastic)

I think, it may be a wiring issue? I will try to connect only one wire at the time and see how they respond. Of course feel free to give me any suggestions, they very much appreciated.

@jmmorgan, thanks for your codes, I noticed that randomly the board will work if I plug and unplug but I could not find the common denominator here, I think your code may fix the issue of disconnecting, right now although I think it is a wiring issue or pin issues. This is happening with both boards with the same configuration. I have two sump pumps one in the main basement and the other at the end of it.

Thanks,
                      Aldo
                      Attached Files

Comment

My initial thought would be noise on the inputs. When your float switches are open circuit, the leads to them are basically long antennas. I have had different and unpredictable results with switches on long leads connected to Arduino input pins. I bought a bag of 1uf non polarized capacitors and now habitually put a snubber capacitor from each input to ground. On particularly long runs, I put a second one at the switch. These capacitors will effectively dampen RF or noise interference. These capacitors have cured issues of false triggers and intermittent connectivity of the boards.

Since it is only the board with the three float sensors, I suspect noise in your case as well.
                        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks to everyone suggestions and troubleshooting I think I identified the issue. The cause of the issue seems to be pin D3. When I connect to this pin, it will fail reconnecting. I changed it on both boards and it seems to be working ok. I will keep an eye on it and let you know. I will also implement the capacitor on each of them, I do not think hurts anyway.

On a different question, on a "Production" implementation do you put these Nodemcu on a breadboard connecting with wires each pin or you use a more elegant system? I'm concern that the wiring may get lose at one point, maybe is just me :-)

Thanks,
                          Aldo

Comment

Working...
                          X