No announcement yet.

roomba? anyone got one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had one of the first silver Roombae and have upgraded twice since, so I'm currently running a Discovery. Next month I'll be upgrading again to the Scooba (and selling my current Discovery on eBay).

Sometimes the Roombae have problems and returning them (or their parts) for repair/replacement is painful. You have to actually go back to sweeping! Once a week Roomba runs over my main areas of my house, and every couple of weeks the other rooms.

I have used Roomba on carpet in previous houses extensively. But I have all hard floors now. On carpet, you have to clean out Roomba a lot more often than on hard floors. I go months between times I take ten minutes to open Roomba up and clean out its guts.

I didn't get the scheduler because that really only helps if you have a Roomba per room/area you want cleaned, because you can't use it to tell Roomba to go to a particular room and clean that at a particular time -- just the room it's in. Instead, I have the external charger and a second battery, so by time Roomba's done with one charge, another one is ready. The docking station is just a convenience, really.

Ours is named Odysseus. How come? Because after it leaves its home, it wanders around seemingly at random, but somehow, it manages to find every mess in the area and get into the middle of it. Then, when it seems it will never find its way home, it does.
    News, support, and updates for Rover, Network Monitor, TimeIcons, and more

Comment

They have one now that washes floors. They just need one to fold and put away the laundry.

Comment

Scooba sounds neat. Maybe I will get that next year when prices come down. We have Pergo-like flooring in a large portion of the house. We only use stema cleaning though with no detergents. Wonder how good the Scooba would do on that.
        Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
        My Hardware & Software

Comment

New Hack available from Roomba for remote control

I just reviewed Roomba's site and they have a new hack that they themselves have created. Apparently there is a DIN serial interface on some of the newer devices and they have a series of commands that let you take full control of the device. I was thinking of getting one and trying to interface a RFI wireless serial device to remotely control the unit. Would be funny to change the dirt recognizing algorithm to detect my dog instead. Maybe not he's neurotic enough already. Here is the link I read.
          http://www.irobot.com/sp.cfm?pageid=198
          and the SCI interace code.
          http://www.irobot.com/images/consume...pec_Manual.pdf

Comment

Do these vacuums work good on hardwood floors in say a kitchen where you have 16 to 25 chair legs to contend with?
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Yes, piece of cake.. there great, just putting new drive belts on mine.. they broke.

Comment

Is the model that returns to it's base worth the extra cash?

Comment

Originally posted by steveinman
                  I just reviewed Roomba's site and they have a new hack that they themselves have created. Apparently there is a DIN serial interface on some of the newer devices and they have a series of commands that let you take full control of the device. I was thinking of getting one and trying to interface a RFI wireless serial device to remotely control the unit. Would be funny to change the dirt recognizing algorithm to detect my dog instead. Maybe not he's neurotic enough already. Here is the link I read.
                  http://www.irobot.com/sp.cfm?pageid=198
                  and the SCI interace code.
                  http://www.irobot.com/images/consume...pec_Manual.pdf
                  Now someone just needs to combine that with this wireless serial "peer point" below and write an HS plugin and HS will be in charge of housekeeping too!

http://www.datahunter.com/products.html

Comment

I will get the Roomba Discovery from Circuity City for $279 today. My wife and I agreed to not exhcnage gifts so that means I can get here one that is not entirely fun but yet should make life a little easier.

I think the ability to return to base and recharge is a must. I do not not plan on doing any direct control with HS. I would like to make a Roomba "Watchdog" that know when the unit is doing its job.

------

Yea! Post 6000! I know... I cannot compete with Rupp.
                    Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
                    My Hardware & Software

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Doolittle
                      I would like to make a Roomba "Watchdog" that know when the unit is doing its job. ------

Yea! Post 6000! I know... I cannot compete with Rupp.
                      The RFID system will let you know whent the Roomba is doing it's thang.

Comment

With a wireless network to serial connection we do more than track it. We could have HS send commands to tell it to clean the living room on monday, clean the kitchen on tuesday, etc. Just think of the possibilities....

How granular is RFID? If we could track it close enough we could eliminate the virtual walls while we control it.

Comment

My whole house is hard floors. Roomba works good on carpet, but far better on hard floors. Chair legs are not a problem, though if you have a space that's completely surrounded by them so Roomba can't get in no matter which way it comes, then of course it won't get there. But if there's any way in, Roomba will find it.
                          News, support, and updates for Rover, Network Monitor, TimeIcons, and more

Comment

This is more like it. The affordable Roomba....
                            http://www.robomaid.com/

Seriously, Have any of you guys seen or used one of these?

Comment

Come on Rupp, how good do you think it works for $10? I like on the commercial how it says that people in Europe pay $60 for this. I wonder if in the commercials in Europe, it says that stupid Americans pay $60 for this?

Rupp, I see you more with this beauty:
                              http://www.electroluxusa.com/node70.asp

Its RED so it will match your eyes after a long night of programming HS2.

Comment

Originally posted by anogee
                                Come on Rupp, how good do you think it works for $10? I like on the commercial how it says that people in Europe pay $60 for this. I wonder if in the commercials in Europe, it says that stupid Americans pay $60 for this?

Rupp, I see you more with this beauty:
                                http://www.electroluxusa.com/node70.asp

Its RED so it will match your eyes after a long night of programming HS2.
                                anogee,
                                I don't see why it wouldn't work because it's the same principle as the new floor sweepers that you peal and toss when your finished. That Trilobite is a nice one but for that much I could hire a maid.

Comment

Working...
                                X