Energy / Electricity Usage Tracking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael,
    I didn't have much luck communicating with them either. I signed up for the same email that wolfe4656 did and didn't receive that either.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I finally got the email that wolfe4656 got on May 1st. The online price is $139. I eagerly await the PC interface version, but no ETA yet. The transmitter at the main panel transmits over the power lines to the display unit, so no extra wiring is needed. They say it doesn't interfere with X-10, I hope they also consider UPB & Insteon and make sure it doesn't interfere with them either.

Comment

Okay T.E.D looks awesome. I've checked the site out but ho does it actually hook up in the panel?

Something similar to cr magnets?

There site is really simple and don't give much information.

I'll wait for the pc interface version though.

Comment

The units have the iron cores that fit around the power line leg, a local processing unit and a remote.

I received initial response from their engineering and they are now considering my request to work with them toward the goal of an HA interface for Homeseer.

Comment

Ted

I just ordered the unit the other day on the assumption that it will interface easily when the interface comes out this fall. I will let you know how well it installs when I recieve it. Attached is a jpg of how to connect the TED. I hope Michael gets the go to interface it with HS. The cost is great if it works as advertised..

Comment

Ted

Dave:

I can't give you a price on the interface for TED at this point. The
              goal
              of Energy, Inc. is to put TED in as many homes as possible at a very
              reasonable, affordable price. We could very easily have priced TED at
              $250+, but we would be defeating our purpose. We will maintain this
              same
              mindset with the interface...it too will be reasonably priced. We are
              working to have this interface available in the 3rd qtr of this year.
              Thanks very much for your continued interest! Run on out to our
              website and
              pick up a TED! It'll be the best $139 you've spent in a long time.
              www.theenergydetective.com
              Best regards,
              Dolph Rodenberg

Comment

wolfe,

I can't see the jpg of how to connect the TED. Could you post it again or PM me with it. Thanks

Bob

Comment

ted

Bob: For some reason I am unable to upload this jpeg file or paste a copy? I have lowered the resolution hope this works..
                  Attached Files

Comment

Okay installation looks simple enough I've played in the panel enough.

But to me its unclear if the current TED will be able to hook up to PC.

Do we have to just add the interface, when it comes out?
                    This is what I'm thinking.

Or will it be another TED?

anyone have the user manual could you send it via email to me,

Thanks

Comment

Ted

Tobad78: The interface is already in the unit. Just a cable and software will be needed. No user manual yet. When I get the unit I will check it out. You could send an email to Dolp Rodenberg ( www.theenergydetective.com ) and ask him if a pdf file is available..

Quote:
                      Good morning Dave,
                      Yes, you are correct. This version of TED does have the interface
                      hardware
                      built into it already. It will require a custom-designed cable and
                      driver
                      software to access info. Our engineering group is working to have this
                      available in the 3rd quarter of this year. Meanwhile...this model of
                      TED
                      will be accumulating data internally.
                      Thanks for your continued interest,
                      Dolph Rodenberg

Comment

Thanks I did email him about a user manual. As soon as I catch up installing my other new toys I will get one of these.

A special cable is what I'm a bit concerned about. Hopefully there will be a way of extending this with cat5 or similar.

EIther way this is a very interesting device.

Comment

Installed TED works great!!!

I installed TED in about 10 minutes. Make sure you have a spare 20 AMP breaker. I had a spare and installed in my main panel.

Unit works as described. Now just waiting on the interface :-)

Comment

Bummer. I have no spare slots. Can it be piggy backed on an existing breaker like my coupler/repeater or is the power actually used to power the display units?
                            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I would avoid piggy backing wires in a break box. I am pretty sure that is a violation of the National Electric Code? I would suggest removing one existing breaker, and adding two "Half-width breakers" in place of the standard size breaker.

Comment

Originally posted by technerd
                                I installed TED in about 10 minutes. Make sure you have a spare 20 AMP breaker. I had a spare and installed in my main panel.

Unit works as described. Now just waiting on the interface :-)
                                Are the CTs a split core design or did you have to disconnect the main feed lines?

Does it have a serial db9 connector? Can you hook it up to a serial port and see if you can get anything out of it?

Comment

Working...
                                X