Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DeLicious,

Re button design:

All you need to do is create your button design in a graphics package, size it to 50 x 50 and save it as a transparent png or gif file. As an example call this roundbutton.png

Place this in the html\images\mycontrol\misc folder.

The final part is to define this in the Jon00Control.css. For this example this is button 601:

.Button601
    {
    color: #FFFFFF;
    font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, HandelGothic, sans-serif;
    font-size: 12pt;
    font-weight: normal;
    padding-top: 0;
    padding-bottom: 0;
    padding-right: 0;
    padding-left: 0;
    background: url(/images/mycontrol/misc/roundbutton.png);
    width: 50px;
    height: 50px;
    border: 0px solid #000000;
    }

The explanation on what each of these values do is defined in the instructions.
    As you can see, the hardest part is designing your own button in a graphics package!
    Jon

Comment

The script works and looks really good, very impressed with how easy it is to setup. But I would really like to have the status of the devices represented on the screen with the buttons. Do you have any amount of AJAX in this script yet? I had already built a touchscreen interface for my system that did use ajax to update, but found the look of your script much better that what I had. Do you plan to add AJAX updating to your scripting? I would be willing to help you out with it , or share what I have if you want it.

Comment

Dave,

I wrote this script primarily for myself so that I could use this as a bedside controller using a Nokia N800. I thought this may be useful for others so I wrote it in a similar style to my Webpage builder script (i.e configuration via an ini file) which is immensely popular.

The problem is that the N800 has limited memory. I found with testing that running too much Java-script caused it to run out of memory even though all causes of possible Java-script memory leaks were examined.

With the current design, Java-script is only run when a button is pressed (apart from the real time clock) to carry out the action and provide a response to the display area via an XML file.

To provide near real time feedback to the display via AJAX, I would need to keep polling the XML via Java-script on the client and having a recurring script running (say every second) to read the devices and update the XML file.

This is all do-able but I'm not so sure on the real-time process and it's impact.

I'm not trying to compete with any other control interfaces as there are far slicker alternatives out there and as I said before, written for my application. I'm not even sure where I want to take this package. At the moment I see little benefit.
        Jon

Comment

I just bought an N800 off of buy.com yesterday for under $200, so I will definitely be putting your script to use on 4 different platforms (N800, UMPC, Tablet PC, and regular laptop)...

there will definitely be a donation coming your way at some point once i complete my evaluation and proof of concept for the wife (although, it might take a couple of weeks due to limited time contraints). once i get some custom buttons ready, i can post my screenshots (well, i could do a few now of the ones that are done...)

anyways, thanks for everything, jon. it's a great help so far in helping me flesh out exactly what i want to do.

was there ever an answer on tuning the value of the double-tap delay down?

Comment

When dealing with HTML pages, 250mS may be too short. I'll put an option to turn it off in the next version.
            Jon

Comment

Nokia N770

Jon,
              I have upgraded the Nokia n770 to the latest version
              OS2007 HE
              Almost everything is working fine.
              One thing I don't understand is way the button text is gray on all the screens.
              on my PC and the N800 it's normal white.

do you have any suggestion's?

Chak

Comment

Chak,

I don't really know as I do not have a N770 and that this is a OS Hack.

If you change the text colour for a button in the CSS does it always show grey?
                Jon

Comment

Double taps

I've just briefly looked at this thread but as far as the double tap issue for events just make the event so it can't retrigger within 2 seconds.

This thread is three weeks old and it only has 2985 views. This thread is a dud.

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Brower View Post
                    I've just briefly looked at this thread but as far as the double tap issue for events just make the event so it can't retrigger within 2 seconds.

This thread is three weeks old and it only has 2985 views. This thread is a dud.
                    Hey Bill, yae, only 2986 views in three weeks, thats poor by your standerds, well well, not all posts attract a lot of attention. Re-mind me, just how many views did your last thread have? Come to think of it (As the Americans would say), just when was your last thread, buddy! Sorry, have not checked the HSBB Archive.

Since you have being looking through this thread, to save me posting the question, did you notice a post as to how Jon is using Flash for the video streeming on the CAM page?
                    sigpic
                    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

My biggest thread had only 250+ replies and 1300+ views. It was when the W2C modems were seizing lines in the 1.7 days. My grandma was house setting at my place and she couldn't call out.

I will however totally applaud Jon for his unceasing HS efforts, bravo sir!

~Bill

Comment

According to the Search This Thread thing on top of the page there was no previous mention of Flash in this thread.

Hope all is well over there, Bill

~Bill

Comment

According to the Search This Thread thing on top of the page there was no previous mention of Flash in this thread.

Hope all is well over there, Bill
                          Thank you Sir, I will now ask the question, once I know what the question is.
                          sigpic
                          A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                            Chak,

I don't really know as I do not have a N770 and that this is a OS Hack.

If you change the text colour for a button in the CSS does it always show grey?
                            Jon,
                            color change is having no effect on the N770
                            On the N800 and PC the color's are changing to the correct color.

idea was to place the N770 as wall display on the second floor. The view angel of the N770 is also not that good..i Will go for another N800 or the N810

thanks
                            Chak

Comment

Originally posted by Chak View Post
                              Jon,
                              color change is having no effect on the N770
                              On the N800 and PC the color's are changing to the correct color.

idea was to place the N770 as wall display on the second floor. The view angel of the N770 is also not that good..i Will go for another N800 or the N810

thanks
                              Chak
                              Obviously the hacked version of Mozilla is not reading CSS correctly - that's all I can think of at the moment.
                              Jon

Comment

Come on Bill, all my threads are dud! High post views just show that I cannot get things right as everybody has problems with them.

Thanks for your later comments BTW!
                                Jon

Comment

Working...
                                X