www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer General Discussion Area

HomeSeer General Discussion Area General discussion about HomeSeer that does not fall into any other category or are not specific to 1.x or 2.x versions of HomeSeer.

Old February 11th, 2018, 12:36 PM
Seer

PoE motion detector

Hi,
I am building a new house and looking for a PoE based motion detector that can filter out pets walking around. Does anyone know of such a device?
If there is such a device how does it work? Would it send messages of some kind to some kind of hardware, preferably HomeController, when motion is detected OR would something have to poll it to see status? I am not finding anything on the internet or the forum discussion area.
Since I cannot easily find anything on the internet about a PoE motion sensor it would seem that this is not a common need. So that would mean that I am missing something here for this function. So what would be an easy way (ie what devices/software are needed) to detect motion on a non-battery operated device that would work with HomeSeer?
Thanks
Old February 11th, 2018, 12:54 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad View Post
So what would be an easy way (ie what devices/software are needed) to detect motion on a non-battery operated device that would work with HomeSeer?
A typical home security system has wired motion detectors as standard devices. DSC is a popular system that works well with HS.

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10:
Compose, XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Old February 11th, 2018, 01:03 PM
OverSeer

+++

Here have recently been updating older wired PIR's to newer combo PIR's which utilize both IR and Microwave for detection. The prices now are about the same as the older PIRs.

All alarm style detectors are wired with 12VDC (2 wires) and NO/NC sensors (2 wires).

My outdoor Optex sensors utilize NO/NC, night/day and intrustion sensors such that it is 8 wires to them if you want to utilize all of the features.

The response times are quick with these types of sensors which have been standard now for over 20 years.

The term POE relates to "power over ethernet".

This has changed a bit over the years updating now to being able to utilize Gb for POE and higher wattage devices along with switches that can output higher wattage. Way back Cisco devised their own plan for POE and it related mostly to VOIP Cisco telephones and Cisco Wireless Access points. Their standard was modified a bit to what we have today for POE.

IE: here connect my HomeSeer touch tabletop tablets via POE Gb ethernet.

I think too many HS3 users have been bringing power over to wireless with battery Z-Wave detectors. That is not POE. It'll work for not having to replace a battery BUT it will not improve response times due to the nature of the RF beast

Automator

HS3 Pro & Lite Edition Beta 3.0.0.435

HS3 Wintel Touch | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins | Speech - Microsoft SAPI - Neospeech - Amazon Echo | Hardware | Haswell Intel iSeries 3 - 16Gb | Pine64 - 2Gb computers | Openpeak Intel Atom SoC tabletop touchscreens (15 HS tabletop tablets) | Touchscreens - Windows embedded POE connected |Light switches - X10,UPB, ZWave and Zigbee | Firewall - PFSense - 2 WAN plus 4 LAN interfaces | Network - Gb managed switches / POE WAP(s) | CCTV - Zoneminder IPHD cams - variety | Audio - Russound - AB8SS | Security - Leviton HAI Omni Pro 2 | Weather - Davis Vantage Vue - MeteoStick - WeeWx | 1-Wire - AAG, Midon and HB | OWFS - Mosquitto - Node Red - Python - RPi Stretch - OpenWRT
Old February 11th, 2018, 01:11 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad View Post
Hi,
I am building a new house and looking for a PoE based motion detector that can filter out pets walking around. Does anyone know of such a device?
If there is such a device how does it work? Would it send messages of some kind to some kind of hardware, preferably HomeController, when motion is detected OR would something have to poll it to see status? I am not finding anything on the internet or the forum discussion area.
Since I cannot easily find anything on the internet about a PoE motion sensor it would seem that this is not a common need. So that would mean that I am missing something here for this function. So what would be an easy way (ie what devices/software are needed) to detect motion on a non-battery operated device that would work with HomeSeer?
Thanks
+1 on DSC. I use a DSC PC1864 panel with an Envisalink EVL4 Ethernet interface and Spud’s plug-in. I have a mix of DSC and Bosch wired motion sensors. They have been 100% reliable and are as responsive as any other solution I have tried with a latency of .5-1 second. The added benefit of using an alarm panel is that it functions independently of HomeSeer, but can control or be controlled by HomeSeer.

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino
Old February 11th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Seer Master

This one : https://www.netatmo.com/en-GB/produc...specifications seems to tick a few boxes but sadly not PoE. And also read this : http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/netatmo-presence

From Amazon : https://www.amazon.com/NETATMO-Prese.../dp/B01L25GOGA

And this from UltraNetatmoWelcome3 (Netatmo Welcome Camera) : http://www.automatedhomeonline.com/H...mowelcome3.htm

Eman.

Last edited by Eman; February 11th, 2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old February 11th, 2018, 06:14 PM
OverSeer

Here is a picture of the old and new GE Interlogix PIR old and new combo PIR and Microwave that I currently utilize.

Old ones are over 10 years old, never had false positives and have never failed and cheap.

Bulk purchased the new ones and they came out to a bit over $10 USD each.

These are all over the house. Second floor wires go to the attic then down a single chase in the middle of the home. Main floor wires go to the basement and all end up at the panel. Paired with these are Rokonet occupancy sensors which are ceiling mounted and look like little smoke detectors. Second floor ones were easy and main floor ones were difficult to install. The old one pictured is some 12 feet up in the great room and tilted down a bit. Wiring goes through a fire break in the walls. Apologies for blurry pictures.

Name:  oldnewpirs.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  297.2 KB
Old February 12th, 2018, 02:35 PM
Seer Master

Pete,

What brand or model are you using for the newer dual tech sensors?
Old February 12th, 2018, 02:54 PM
OverSeer

Napco C-100STE bulk purchase.
Old February 12th, 2018, 06:05 PM
Seer

Thank you all for the info and a better understanding of the big picture. I am currently looking into the DSC options for both the controller board and the motion sensors.
I'll report back once I get something going
Old April 4th, 2018, 02:55 PM
Super Seer

Just ordered 10 of the C100STE as a starting point! Was able to get them for $20 each which isn't bad, but not close to Pete's price. I just missed a 4 for 5 promo which would have brought them down to $16 each.
Old April 7th, 2018, 04:11 PM
Seer Deluxe

+1 DSC

A couple neat things about the DSC panels: they can be used with just about any generic motion, glassbreak, smoke & vibration sensors or switches. One other useful feature is that not all zones need to be alarm zones, they can be used for whatever you can imagine as 24hr non-alarm zone. This is great for occupancy where a motion sensor is too sensitive to be pet immune but perfect for occupancy detection.
Old April 16th, 2018, 12:25 PM
Seer

If you're building a new house, do yourself a favor and run low voltage cabling EVERYWHERE you might have any thought of adding a device.

We just recently remodeled and I ran wire to every single door and window in the house, as well as ceiling-mounted motion detectors in each room and glassbreaks covering all windows.

If you are building, this is your ONLY CHANCE to get wire everywhere you may want it. Relative to the cost of building a new house, wire is insanely cheap. I ran over 10,000 feet of wire in mine (CAT6, 22/4 for doors, motions, and glassbreaks, 18/4 to door locks, 18/6 for card reader locations, RG6 for video, 12/2 for audio) and have extras in strategic locations where they might be needed.

Do yourself a favor and don't skimp on wiring everything you can.