The Battery Went Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Battery Went Out

Neighbor has a vacation home. He left the thermostat set to some above freezing temperature in the fall. There are cameras / alarm panel there. The alarm panel is not connected to the thermostat.

Cameras went out sometime in the winter. No calls from the alarm such that it was functioning fine. Pipes froze and burst. He went to see the home and there was water pouring out of the front door.

Personally I am not sure what type of thermostat he had but always thought that the thermostat battery was for the "memory" of the thermostat rather than its function.

As far as I can tell; if I disconnect all of the power to my thermostat and reconnect it; memory and programs stay intact. Never really paid much attention to it.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Wow!!! That's terrible...My worst fear in fact!

Kinda makes you wish you had one of those classic Honeywell mercury switch stats...
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
      Wow!!! That's terrible...My worst fear in fact!

Kinda makes you wish you had one of those classic Honeywell mercury switch stats...
      My in-laws had a similar problem a month ago and had to cut their travels short to deal with the damage. For them it happened to be a blessing in disguise though as my mother in-law had a medical issue just after they came back and had it occurred in the 3rd world country they were travelling in, she likely would not have survived it.

Cheers
      Al

PS You can wire a simple thermostat in parallel and set it at a fail-safe temperature.
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I wouldn't put anything other than a manual tstat in a vacation home. They are typically used so infrequently this is all you need and they are nearly fool proof. One of our neighbors sets there old round stat to 45 and tapes it in place when they leave. Was this house in such a remote location that the neighbors couldn't check on the cameras and such?
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I don't understand..... I got into HA because I needed a remote thermostat. When I leave, it is set for a minimum of 40F and a maximum of 80. Even if HS goes down, I have it set. If I lose power, the thermostat comes back up. If I can't ping the house in really cold weather, after a few days it is time to investigate. But, then, it doesn't get all that cold in coastal NC. If you live too far up north, YMMV.....

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Tapatalk
          HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
          Home Assistant 2024.3
          Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
          Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
          Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
          WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
          AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Was this house in such a remote location that the neighbors couldn't check on the cameras and such?
            No. I guess never checked with the neighbors.

Same thing happened to a friend with a vacation home in Colorado. He had set his electric baseboard heat to around 45 degrees and thermostat quit working while he was not there. Pipes burst and flooded the first floor of his home.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
            X