Updates3 folder deleted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updates3 folder deleted?

I was attempting to update a few plugins and kept getting errors (no real detail in the logs, unfortunately, just WebClient exceptions), so I decided to restart HS3 just for good measure.

When I started it back up, I got a pop up informing me:

"Startup/System Files exception: Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Updates3\Zips' is denied."

I checked and the entire Updates3 folder was gone! So I recreated it (and the Zips subfolder) and restart HS3, but same result - the folder is being deleted at startup and then it complains because it's not there!

This is on 3.0.0.368 on Windows 8.1 Pro (don't judge - that's what the PC came on, and it also runs SageTV so I'm in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" category right now).

Hi Shill,

maybe when watching your folder u accedently moved that folder into another one..
    that once happend to me aswell..

i never had in all these years with homeseer that a folder gets deleted by itself.

what happens if u change the permissions of that folder ?

regards

Originally posted by shill View Post
    I was attempting to update a few plugins and kept getting errors (no real detail in the logs, unfortunately, just WebClient exceptions), so I decided to restart HS3 just for good measure.

When I started it back up, I got a pop up informing me:

"Startup/System Files exception: Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Updates3\Zips' is denied."

I checked and the entire Updates3 folder was gone! So I recreated it (and the Zips subfolder) and restart HS3, but same result - the folder is being deleted at startup and then it complains because it's not there!

This is on 3.0.0.368 on Windows 8.1 Pro (don't judge - that's what the PC came on, and it also runs SageTV so I'm in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" category right now).
    Preferred -> Jon's Plugins, Pushover, Phlocation, Easy-trigger,
    Rfxcom, Blade Plugins, Pushbullet, homekit, Malosa Scripts

HS3Pro 4.1.14.0 on windows 10 enterprise X64 on hp quadcore laptop 8 GB.

Comment

Same thing is happening to me - it started doing this about a month or so ago. However, I have been unable to reproduce it consistently at this stage.

It seems to happen more often when I reboot the PC.

I get the error (attached) - usually when rebooting. The Updates3 folder is gone. If I shutdown HS3 and then restart it then it seems to create this folder and everything runs until it doesn't.

Sorry that this does not provide more information but it at least shows that more than one person is having the issue?

Could it be related to an HS3 update? I don't remember when the last one was? Could it be a plug-in?
      Attached Files

Comment

Same thing here! Updates3 folder simply disappeared.
        Started about a week ago: definitely not "accidentally" deleted.
        It only happens after shutdown and restarting the computer, not after simply restarting HS3.
        Running HS3 3.0.0.368 on fully updated Win7.
        No recent changes or updates in my HS3 setup.
        Hate to make things complicated but about at the same time I started having problems with my Z-wave.me UZB stick on USB3: every time I remove the stick Windows gives me a "device not recognized" on reinsertion. I have been using this stick for several years without a problem. No hardware issue: second stick shows the same effect, moving to another computer doesn't help either. I have to disable the USB3.0 Root Hub, reboot, reenable the USB Root Hub: works every time but not exactly user friendly behaviour. I suspect a recent WIN7 update to be the culprit for both problems.
        Last edited by WfromL; March 18, 2018, 08:14 AM.

Comment

I have opened a bug for it - Bug 3596. When was 3.0.0.368 released? I don't recall it being that recent in which case something else must have caused this issue to start happening?

Comment

Originally posted by Malosa View Post
            Hi Shill,

maybe when watching your folder u accedently moved that folder into another one..
            that once happend to me aswell..

i never had in all these years with homeseer that a folder gets deleted by itself.

what happens if u change the permissions of that folder ?

regards
            I've also never had this happen in decades of using HS, but nonetheless it's happening now

And yes, I'm sure I didn't move it.

Comment

You could try making a copy of hs3 directory, then do a repair on hs3 install then drop the copy back on the repaired hs3.

Stuart

Comment

I wonder if it is plugin related? It seems like it might happen after updating plugins.

Here are the plugins I have installed
                Attached Files

Comment

I have only a few plugins:
                  - RFXCOM
                  - Z-wave
                  - Insteon
                  - Ultranetcam3
                  But for now the problem has disapeared!
                  It lasted three or four days, the it disappeared and I haven't updated or changed anything on ths computer.
                  Very strange indeed.

Comment

I am still having this issue - seems to be mostly reproducible:

Shutdown HS3
                    Reboot PC
                    Load HS3

Get error. Click OK to clear error. Shutdown HS3. Start HS3 - no error.

Comment

On what versions do you have this problem?

so i gonna look if i can reproduce the problem today to help u.

Here some random questions for you guys so i can track the problem.

When does the folder disappear? After shutting down hs3 or after a windows restart?
                      what windows are you using ?
                      Do you start hs3 as administrator ?
                      how do you shutdown homeseer ?
                      What are the permissions on that folder?
                      Do you use a shutdown script or startup script?

regards
                      Last edited by Malosa; April 5, 2018, 02:14 AM.

Comment

As I said earlier : the problem disappeared as mysteriously as it came. I could reproduce it 100 % while it lasted (about 4 days) with the following settings:
                        • Folder disappeared after Windows restart. I routinely restart Windows once a week, no particular reason, just a habit of mine

• Windows 7 latest updates installed
                        • run HS3 as administrator
                        • shutdown manually, waiting for shutdown to complete before restarting Windows
                        • administrator has full control over updates 3 folder
                        • Startup script: only starts JONdbchart
                        • Shutdown script: none

On each "disappearing" I recreated the folder by manually copying it from backup.

Comment

I am not able to reproduce it consistently. For example I just restarted windows and it didn't happen. It only seems to happen when restarting Windows.

I am running Windows 7 Enterprise SP1.

I am logged in as an administrator but I am loading HS3 normally.

There are multiple permissions on the folder as it appears to be set based on several groups:

Creater/Owner - Special Permissions Allow
                          System - Full Control, Modify, Read&Execute, List Folder Contents, Read, Write
                          Administrators - Everything except Special Permissions
                          Users - Read&Execute, List Folder Contents, Read
                          Trusted Installer - List Folder Contents, Special Permissions

Nothing in shutdown script.
                          Startup script - initialize speaker clients and calling one event that opens a com port to my CommStar.

Thanks.

Comment

ok, so this is not a homeseer problem then.
                            so it happens after a windows restart, not always but often.

can you make or login at an other profile and see if it happens again?
                            if no then i think the windows profile is getting corrupt somehow.

try to use sfc /scannow to fix it.

let me know, but i'm looking further

regards
                            Last edited by Malosa; April 5, 2018, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Malosa View Post
                              ok, so this is not a homeseer problem then.
                              so it happens after a windows restart, not always but often.

can you make or login at an other profile and see if it happens again?
                              if no then i think the windows profile is getting corrupt somehow.

try to use sfc /scannow to fix it.

let me know, but i'm looking further

regards
                              How is this not a HomeSeer problem? The folder disappears when HomeSeer starts, not win Windows restarts. And to be fair, I haven't looked into this in a while, but the behavior I saw was specifically:

* Start HS
                              * Get an error about the missing folder
                              * Stop HS
                              * Recreate the folder
                              * Start HS
                              * Watch the directory and see the folder disappear
                              * Get an error about the missing folder
                              * Repeat

Comment

Working...
                              X