My network dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My network dilemma

I have two PCs, one of them running HS3. I used to be able to access either one from the other using file explorer since the permissions were set up.

Somewhere along the line, I got windows 10 updates and I can't browse either computer from the other.

Interestingly, I do have one shared folder on the first computer that has Cumulus on it. The Jon00Cumulus PI accesses that file without an issue.

How do I get back to normal browsing through explorer of the other PC.

BTW, I do have VNC server and viewer working so I can access the other PC but that's relatively slow as it has to draw screens.

I could post a dozen screenshots but I'll wait to see what suggestions are offered. I do have discovery on for a private network in Control Panel.

I have to mention that the miniPC with HS3 has no password on purpose. That way on startup, it logs in automatically and runs HS3. One of the ways I tried to log in asked for a PW but when I didn't put one in (because there isn't one) Windows rejected me.

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
    I have two PCs, one of them running HS3. I used to be able to access either one from the other using file explorer since the permissions were set up.

Somewhere along the line, I got windows 10 updates and I can't browse either computer from the other.

Interestingly, I do have one shared folder on the first computer that has Cumulus on it. The Jon00Cumulus PI accesses that file without an issue.

How do I get back to normal browsing through explorer of the other PC.

BTW, I do have VNC server and viewer working so I can access the other PC but that's relatively slow as it has to draw screens.

I could post a dozen screenshots but I'll wait to see what suggestions are offered. I do have discovery on for a private network in Control Panel.

I have to mention that the miniPC with HS3 has no password on purpose. That way on startup, it logs in automatically and runs HS3. One of the ways I tried to log in asked for a PW but when I didn't put one in (because there isn't one) Windows rejected me.
    Windows update has been known to mess with network location and file and folder sharing. Also if you change your router, subnet or any other network configuration, Windows may default to a public connection and that will disable network discovery. Make sure your network connection is private on both computers and that network discovery is turned on.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post

I had the same thing happen. What fixed it for me was to perform a Network Reset (last option on the Network Settings page). It removes and re-installs your network adapter(s) and restarts the computer. After doing that, it will ask if you want to make the computer discoverable, which you clearly do. You should then see the shared files and folders.

One caveat: if you have a static IP address for the PC, it will be removed and DHCP will be re-selected. I found that if I tried to go back to a static address, the discovery failed again. Using address reservation on my router rather than static IP on the PC, solved that problem.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

As a side note, if you want Windows to log in automatically AND have a password, you can use the Sysinternals (Microsoft) Autologon utility from

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sys...oads/autologon.

Works flawlessly

Comment

Thanks all, I'm back up to normal.

PC discovery was set as it should have been.

Performing a network reset on both PCs solved it. I didn't even lose the sharing permissions I had previously set.

I'll check the recommendation for the Autologon.

Comment

Working...
          X