Harmony Remote and Homeseer/ZWave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harmony Remote and Homeseer/ZWave

Is there any way to integrate the use of a Harmony remote with a Homeseer/ZWave setup? The PC on which I would run Homeseer (upstairs) would be out of range of the remote so I need something to receive the command in the living room? I am told that there is a wired receiver for Homeseer but I have avoided wires to date for everything and don't want to start now :-)

Is there any way that I can integrate this without having to run wires to the Homeseer PC?

Thanks.

Mark

Sure have a look at the powermids. They are a wireless IR distribution system. I have 9 of them in use for my mini blinds. As long as you keep them away from direct sun light and other RF devices they work perfectly. YMMV. Here is a veery good place to order from:

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/produ...&cat=34&page=2
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

So, in researching this I believe there could be an additional option (and one which seems quite attractive to me).

I am taking my first steps into HA, starting with some SmartHome X10 modules, controller and keypad. I have downloaded the trial version of Homeseer and can't wait for my equipment to arrive!!! Anyway, from the perspective of using the Harmony remote (a key goal for me, so that I can dim the lights when pressing the "Watch TV" button, etc) the following product seems like it could fit:

http://www.smarthome.com/4040.html

As I understand, this would take the IR from the Harmony and place it on the powerline. I'm hoping that I could then program the Harmony to include certain commands that Homeseer would identify, hence running the appropriate macros or scenes. Is this viable? I guess my specific questions are:

a) Does the Harmony have something like this product in its database and therefore know what commands to send (I'n researching this but if anyone knows that would be good)

b) The web page to the product above suggests that I can send commands to modules, switches, etc. I assume that I could also program a specific command that only the Homeseer recognizes, so that it can then run the underlying macro.

Is that feasible?

Thanks.

Mark

Comment

Mark,
        Reading on that device you posted a link to here is one of the statements.
        You can also program ANY learning remote to operate the Command Console, however you'll need one of the pre-programmed remotes listed above to do this.
        Another and much more versatile option would be to buy a USB-UIRT it can receive IR as well as send IR. There is a free plugin for the device for HS. You could then send one IR command to HS and have it return a series of commands.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
          Mark,
          Reading on that device you posted a link to here is one of the statements.

Another and much more versatile option would be to buy a USB-UIRT it can receive IR as well as send IR. There is a free plugin for the device for HS. You could then send one IR command to HS and have it return a series of commands.
          Is it me or is the statement abotu which remores I can use contradictory? :-) I don't understand...

The problem with a USB-based device into the PC is that my PC will be nowhere near my living room. I guess I can get the type of product recommended earlier in this thread but that seems a shame when all I really want is a simple way to get "Command A" to Homeseer (or, even less specific to Homeseer, simply drop "Command A" into the poweline). Doesn't seem like rocket science but all the options seems to have quircks associated with them.

Thanks again.

Mark

Comment

Mark,
            According to the statement you would need one of the remotes listed to program your remote. Hopefully someone that owns one will chime in and clear this up. Does the Harmony remote have PC download access?

Comment

Mark, You could use that IR-to-X10 device (4040), but the disadvantages are 1) it will be slower than IR alone, and 2) it will be subject to the same reliability issues that X10 is infamous for. The advantage is that it's inexpensive. As far as which remotes work, I can shed light on that:

The 4040 is preprogrammed with an X10 command set. It cannot learn. You need a remote that already knows those X10 IR commands to use the 4040. OR, if you have a learning remote, it can be taught those X10 IR commands. But from what? The 4040 does not send IR, so the learning remote can't learn from it. So you need a remote that already knows the X10 IR to teach your learning remote. You could probably buy one, and return it a day later.

But I think you will get annoyed at the sluggishness of X10, especially if you also use something as snappy as ZWave for your lights. The faster and more reliable approach, I feel, would be to have a USB-UIRT at your computer, and relay the IR wirelessly with Powermids. Though more expensive, one advantage is that you can add an IR path back from the computer to control your AV gear.

Comment

Originally posted by rocco
                Mark, You could use that IR-to-X10 device (4040), but the disadvantages are 1) it will be slower than IR alone, and 2) it will be subject to the same reliability issues that X10 is infamous for. The advantage is that it's inexpensive. As far as which remotes work, I can shed light on that:

The 4040 is preprogrammed with an X10 command set. It cannot learn. You need a remote that already knows those X10 IR commands to use the 4040. OR, if you have a learning remote, it can be taught those X10 IR commands. But from what? The 4040 does not send IR, so the learning remote can't learn from it. So you need a remote that already knows the X10 IR to teach your learning remote. You could probably buy one, and return it a day later.

But I think you will get annoyed at the sluggishness of X10, especially if you also use something as snappy as ZWave for your lights. The faster and more reliable approach, I feel, would be to have a USB-UIRT at your computer, and relay the IR wirelessly with Powermids. Though more expensive, one advantage is that you can add an IR path back from the computer to control your AV gear.
                Thank you, Rocco. It looks like my Harmony will recognize the 4040 - I entered the product code into the Harmony web site and found that all the buttons were assigned to appropriate commands (Light 1, Dim, etc). So, I think I have that aspect handled, which is good, but it's not clear to me what it would take to customized one of these commands (so, instead of targeting a single light module I'd like to send "Command A").

I am not overly concerned about managing my AV gear - I have everything I need there with Tivo (timing recordings, etc) and the Harmony.

I don't necessarily understand how the USB-UIRT would fit into this. Understand that, along with some Powermids, I can get "some" IR commands back to my PC. But it's clear to me exactly what I'd be controlling - I assume I am not sending X10 commands at stage. So, can you help me out here - let's say I have the USB-UIRT and Powermids all set up, Homeseer on my PC and so I can use my Harmony to send some IR command to PC. If I want to, say, initiate "Command A", what exactly am I sending from the Harmony (which specific device do I need to select from its database).

Sorry if I am being a little slow here :-) Your help is greatly appreciated. I do have the advantage that I have $100 of coupons from Crutchfield and they happen to stock the Powermids, so I am open to that solution, if it works well.

Mark

Comment

Mark,
                  I use several powermids throughout my house and have had very good luck with them. One warning though a few people have reported having problems with the. If you use the path powermid receiver > powermid transmitter > USB-UIRT > PC then the PC with HS installed can trigger on IR received. You can learn an unused equipment buttons into HS via the USB-UIRT's plugin and when for example the phonos play button is selected it triggers and event in HS. Make since?

Comment

To expand on what Rupp said, either the 4040 approach or the USB-UIRT approach will get you there. But if you use the 4040, you have to use the the Harmony's X10 command buttons, and HomeSeer would trigger on X10 received. If you use the USB-UIRT, any code from any button on the remote could be used, and HomeSeer would trigger on IR received, which may offer you more flexibility. Maybe not.

If the X10 command on the remote is where you would like it to be, and you don't mind the 2/3 second delay of X10, than the USB-UIRT won't buy you anything.

Comment

Thank you, Rupp and Rocco. This is very helpful - I'm slowly getting there :-)

Rupp, one follow up question. So, if I look at the "commands" that are associated with certain buttons when I add the 4040 to my Harmony, I see things like AllLightsOn, AllLightsOff, Bright, Dim, Light1, Lightx (to Light 16), On and Off. So, I guess that I can somehow associated the Light1 command with an individual module. That's the bit I am not understanding - even in the most simplistic scenario (the Harmony's Light1 command turns on a specific module for a specific light), how does it know which module to target (on the assumption that the house / unit codes are the way to identify a module ordinarily).

If there is some way to specify that Light1 = a specific module, is the implication that it can alternatively be associated with a single event for Homeseer to consume (and then kick off the appropriate scene or macro)?

BTW, my lack of hands-on experience is probably showing in spades here - I can't WAIT for the stuff to arrive :-)

Since the cost is so reasonable ($26) I have sent a request to Smarthome that they add the 4040 to my order, which is supposed to ship on Monday to arrive on Wednesday. If I end up with the other approach them I won't be too much out of pocket.

Thanks again.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                      X