Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cloud Refugee. Advice needed about switching to Homeseer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloud Refugee. Advice needed about switching to Homeseer?

The last two weeksMy current setup:
    30 z-wave dimmers (Leviton VRMX1-1LZ)
    Five z-wave switches (Leviton VRS15-1LZ)
    One z-wave siren (Everspring EVS-SE812-US)
    Two Schlagle z-wave door locks (Schlage FE599NX and BE469 CAM 619)
    10 or so z-wave door sensors (Monoprice, Schlage, and a few everspring)
    Four outlets (GE 12721)
    Two Mimolites
    Two first alert z-wave smoke detectors
    Five Sonos Play Ones
    One 1 Sonos Play Five
    Aeon Mini-mote

Future Expansion:Infinity Carrier touch control
    Garage door controllers

My Homeseer Plan: Plugins I think I'll be running:My biggest questions/concerns:
    Computer: I'm thinking about using a Qotom qs-190ReliabilityResponse time for motion detectors:Presence:

Welcome to the board! Your post was moderated because is had links in it... but now it's visible.

The PC you mentioned should be more than adequate for now and some time to come. Others will no doubt weigh in!

Motion sensor latency with HomeSeer depends more on the motion sensor than on our controller, since the event is triggered and processed locally. In fact, the event will process faster than the web interface (or mobile app) will indicate.

Personally, I don't use occupancy to trigger much since there's a kid or two at home most of the time. I do use a couple motion sensors tied into an HS3 timer to control lighting in my shed/garage, however.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I don't think you will have many issues with any of the devices you have listed or the system. Make sure you have the server on a UPS because power outages will bite you in the butt. You can download Blades free backup plugin, and you can create a .zip file on whatever schedule you want. If your system goes to **it, you can just extract the last working backup over the HS3 install, and restart. 5 minutes later you're back in business. I have used just about every software and hardware HA setup you can imagine, and HS3 is the most diverse, stable, active HA software I have run across. The only minor thing that bothers me, is the mobile interface HSTouch. It is kind of Fugly. But there are active 3rd party solutions, and HS3 has a complete API. I say go for it!!!

Comment

Hi Engelwood,

For multi sensor you should try the FIBARO motion sensor (http://www.fibaro.com/en/the-fibaro-.../motion-sensor). The battry life is incredible. Mine is stuck at 100% since 18/07/2015
        Where I am it would be best if locks were triggered on a timely (under 1 min or less) manner after you pressed a button, let say HSTouch or z-wave key-fob for security reasons only. You can't solely rely on location based conditions because the weather sometimes gets in the way.
        Thus GPS is not pin point accurate on some days. Things like lights and the rest you can trigger at long distances. But locks, try not to.
        For presence and more cool stuff you can also check out this discussion here: http://board.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1272 Combined with PHLocation plugin you can do amazing things.

I hope you enjoy HomeSeer.

Eman.
        TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, motion sensor recommendations, and plugin suggestions!

Computer is on the way! Looking forward to diving in over the next few weeks!

Comment

Regarding stability, I personally would recommend running HomeSeer under Linux. I used to run HSPRO under Windows 7 and 8, but only since switching to Linux have I had a system I can comfortably "set and forget" without worrying about crashes. Just make sure the plugins you need are supported under Linux.
            HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
            Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
            Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
            Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Running under Windows here, and HS3 has run for months before, with the only reason it stopped being that I wanted to update Homeseer.

If you have a dedicated box, that does nothing else, Windows can be stable also. I do recommend running HS on Linux if possible, as the OS overhead is smaller. However, if one wants to use some plug-ins only supported on Windows, then it's no big deal.

Comment

Computer is here! Considering installing Linux, but just a bit hesitant because of the potential plugin issues.

I've been looking, but is there some sort of list of plugins that aren't compatible with Linux? If not are there any heavily used plugins that might not work with my setup?

Hoping the smartstick+ ships soon! I'm really itching to get started!

Comment

It might take a little more time if you decide later to switch to Windows, but I'd suggest installing HomeSeer under Linux and then looking in the updater to see what's available. If the plugins you want aren't listed you can wait patiently (like I am) or just reinstall with Windows.

Stability for me under Linux has been SO much better. And I've run HS3 under multiple Windows versions, all on their own dedicated virtual machine.
                  HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
                  Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                  Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                  Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Working...
                  X