Just Another 3 Way Wiring Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Another 3 Way Wiring Question

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a qualified electrician. The below may not be the scenario you have. Turn the power off, use a power tester and check the exact wiring configuration you have at the light fixture to verify. Call an electrician if in any doubt.

Assuming that you do have the "light in the middle" scenario, I believe this is what you will need to do:

Primary Switch location with power source:
    -Black hot from panel to Line terminal
    -Black load to light fitting to Load terminal
    -Both white neutrals to neutral terminal
    -Red traveler to traveler terminal

Light Fitting:
    - Connect (probably leave as-is) red travelers together, bypassing light fitting
    - Black from primary switch to line/positive terminal on fitting (replacing the black from the secondary switch location)
    - Wirenut both white neutrals together with a third short white pigtail and connect this to the other terminal on the light fitting.
    - Cap and tape the black that goes to the second switch location with a wirenut

Secondary Slave Switch location
    - Cap and tape the black coming from the light fitting with a wirenut
    - Connect the white neutral to the neutral terminal on the secondary (slave) switch
    - Connect the red traveler to the traveler terminal

Make sure you have both switches and the light fitting all grounded together.
    cheeryfool

Comment

Thanks for the response. I'm on the road for a few days, but will try when I get home.

Comment

Originally posted by marcdd2 View Post
        Thanks for the response. I'm on the road for a few days, but will try when I get home.
        Cool. Let me know.
        cheeryfool

Comment

Working...
        X