Looking for "Green" ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DC View Post
    But, if they aren't charging, they aren't consuming any power, right? Maybe a tiny amount for the LED that indicates the battery is fully charged but that would be negligable.

I'm asking because I have a lot of chargers in my shop that stay plugged in all the time. Maybe I need to plug them into a Kill-A-Watt to see what they pull when charging vs not charging.
    I'd expect a the module used to turn off the chargers probably uses as much power as a charger which is idle.
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Originally posted by stevene View Post
      Everything is monitored or controlled by HS. Including the amps coming from the solar panel and the amps used from the batteries.
      StevenE
      Steven,

Does HS act as a charge controller as well? If not, how do you manage charging of the batteries, e.g., to prevent overcharging?

Thanks,
      Don

Comment

To all who use appliance modules to cut power to those devices that aren't ever really off, how much trouble does that cause with the device itself? I can't think of it off hand, but I know I've had several devices (tv, sat. receiver, stereo receiver, etc) that are not "ready to use" as they were before the power was cut. you have to go through and change setting, complete a wizard, etc.

add to that if settings aren't saved in some of them, and the cost of an appliance module (I use upb, minimum of $30 for a cheapy one) for each device, and I wonder what the cost/hassle to benefit would be.

Ian
        Plugins:
        BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Another thing to consider about appliance modules, most that I have tried don't completely switch off the power, put a voltmeter across the output and you will usually read about 67 volts, what kind of impact this has on the load of the module itself I don't know... Could the power absorption of the module be close to the absorption of the sleep mode? I guess it would vary with each device

If you really want to cut power use like an ocelot or a weedertech IO board that controls actual relays
          Over The Hill
          What Hill?
          Where?
          When?
          I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Originally posted by dschoppe View Post
            Steven,

Does HS act as a charge controller as well? If not, how do you manage charging of the batteries, e.g., to prevent overcharging?

Thanks,
            Don
            No, HS does not control charging the Batteries there is a solar battery charger that charges the batteries.

If the Batteries get too low or have not been charged fully in 72 hours, HS will turn on a Secondary AC charger. This usually only happens during the winter when the panels are covered with snow.

StevenE
            Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

Originally posted by jackpod View Post
              Another thing to consider about appliance modules, most that I have tried don't completely switch off the power, put a voltmeter across the output and you will usually read about 67 volts, what kind of impact this has on the load of the module itself I don't know... Could the power absorption of the module be close to the absorption of the sleep mode? I guess it would vary with each device
              That did concern me so I checked, the Intermatic Z-wave appliance modules when they are off have about 1 volt with no load. With even the smallest load that drops to zero.

StevenE

Comment

Steve aim glad that your in to solar power, aim trying to head your way, I was wondering how HS can help in my endeavor, thanks for the info, I migth be needing your help further down the road. I still have a lot to stride some day I'll get there... How do you manage with the AC? How do get reading from your battery to HS? Does HS tell you if your system ready for daily use?

Currently I have 6 - 75 watt solar panels, I purchased used about 8 years ago and they charge 4 125AH batteries ( when there is sun ).
                There is a 13.8 volt buck/boost regulator that provices stable/filtered power to the equipment from the batteries.
                From the 13.8 volts there is a 12 volt regulator and a 9 volt regulator.

No walwarts, all the walwarts have been removed and the devices are powered directly from the above supplied voltages. Each device has a power wire running from the room with the equipment to each device throughout the house.

The Airpanels do not have the batteries installed and run fine from 13.8vdc.
                The 2 - 26 inch lcd tv's came with external powers supply's that are not used and run directly from the 13.8 VDC.

Ocelot, Cameras, Security DVR, motion detectors, Routers and vonage run from the 12VDc power.

The Lawn sprinklers and Sprinkler pump(also 12 VDC ) run directly from the Batteries. ( The pump pulls the water from a shallow well to water the lawn and flower beds. )

Everything is monitored or controlled by HS. Including the amps coming from the solar panel and the amps used from the batteries.

StevenE
                Hector
                MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
                AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

I use the Labjack u12 to get analog readings, HS gets the battery voltage and amps through the labjack.

I use allegro current sensors to get the amperage readings. They basically provide an output of 0 to 5 VDC depending on the load amps, they are really easy to use.

I do not run any items that require only AC from the Batteries, as inverters are not that efficient and I only have a small setup.
                  HS just switches a Z-Wave module on to turn on the AC battery charger when needed.

All those items run off the Batteries 24 x 7 x 365, so there is no waiting for things to be ready. The solar panels provide enough power to run the items and charge the batteries during the day ( well most days ). The batteries are large enough to run everything for a couple of days without charging.

Every item is seperately fused and some are controlled through a relay with HS and the ocelot. This gives me the ability to automatically turn off loads when they are not needed and to prevent devices from using power when they are off.

StevenE
                  Last edited by stevene; July 15, 2008, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Steve, tried to check the allegro current sensor, but it says it not available can you post the site please. Also when using labjack, what part of the labjack are you hooking up your inverter?
                    Hector
                    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
                    AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

StevenE,

Your use of a solar panel to run your low voltage stuff is really great, very very green. Just out of curiosity, what inspired you to do this? And, how did you run the wires? Is everything in one location?

I have thought about using low voltage light bulbs in various parts of the house but I gave up on this idea because of the wiring problems.

Since all my Homeseer stuff is in one location, it might make sense to replace all the wall warts with a solar system. What is the size of your solar panel? Is it on the roof?

Steve Q
                      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

I use allegro current sensors to get the amperage readings.
                        The above link is incorrect, it has a extra http:// in it !

It should be http://www.allegromicro.com/en/Produ...0755/index.asp

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
                          Steve, tried to check the allegro current sensor, but it says it not available can you post the site please. Also when using labjack, what part of the labjack are you hooking up your inverter?
                          Sorry fixed the link.

Everything is connected to the labjack inputs AI0 thru AI7 for a total of 8 analog inputs. I wish I could run a second labjack but the plugin currenlty only is for 1.

The battery voltage is measured with a voltage devider circuit ( and a 100ma fuse ) Basically wired like this.

Battery+ -- Fuse -- 1k resistor -- AI0 -- 1k resistor -- labjack ground.

The current sensors go directly into the labjack since they are 5 volt outputs.

StevenE

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
                            StevenE,

Your use of a solar panel to run your low voltage stuff is really great, very very green. Just out of curiosity, what inspired you to do this? And, how did you run the wires? Is everything in one location?

I have thought about using low voltage light bulbs in various parts of the house but I gave up on this idea because of the wiring problems.

Since all my Homeseer stuff is in one location, it might make sense to replace all the wall warts with a solar system. What is the size of your solar panel? Is it on the roof?

Steve Q
                            Mostly I didn't want all my toys costing me extra . So I try to run as much as I can from the solar.

All the wiring is run directly to each device from basically 2 central spots, it just worked out that way.

I have 6 75 watt solar panels and they mounted off my deck, I never felt comfortable mounting stuff on my roof myself. ( I don't want it to leak )

StevenE

Comment

I use homeseer to monitor inside and outside temperatures. To this I added the state of the sky. Should the outside and inside temp be above the setpoint and the sky be sunny, in the AM, all the window blinds on the East side of my home close. At noon, the east side opens and the west side closes. If it is raining or the temps are not at the setpoint, the blinds don't close.

This has helped to control the temperature of my home. I have actually trimmed some cost from my cooling budget in the past few years. The savings is about 20 percent.

This is good for the pocket book and the environment too.

David

Comment

Mostly I didn't want all my toys costing me extra . So I try to run as much as I can from the solar.

All the wiring is run directly to each device from basically 2 central spots, it just worked out that way.

I have 6 75 watt solar panels and they mounted off my deck, I never felt comfortable mounting stuff on my roof myself. ( I don't want it to leak )

StevenE
                                I am thinking about adding a solar panel and a battery. Instead of wiring various devices to the battery I am considering connecting an inverter to the battery and then powering the devices from the inverter. Do you think this is feasible? If I connect the AC side of the inverter to my house wiring, will it reduce my electricity consumption?

Steve Q
                                HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                                2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Working...
                                X