Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a stock/preferred way to do presence detection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a stock/preferred way to do presence detection?

I used SmartThings a while back and, while the platform had a host of problems, presence detection was one of its strong suits. I would like to be able to kick off events when both my wife and I are not in the house. (turn off lights, turn up cooling set point, etc.)

I was eyeballing the IFTTT route, but thought there might be other ways. I also saw the "PHLocation" plug-in, which looks promising and I may go that route. However, ideally, I'd prefer to avoid using plugins, mainly because of the risk that the developer abandons his plugin and I'm left in a lurch.

I'm surprised it's not a built-in feature of HSTouch since it seems like it would be fairly easy to add it -- iOS and Android both already handle the geo-location aspects.

Anyway, suggestions welcome. And we're an iOS household, so please keep that in mind when providing recommendations.

I use Jon00's Bluetooth plugin with my iPhone and a long-range BT dongle. As a fall-back, it'll also detect the wifi phone connection. Very reliable. Jon00 has been around forever, and has tons of excellent plugins, I feel very confident recommending his plugins.

http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...89&postcount=1
    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mwaite View Post
      I use Jon00's Bluetooth plugin with my iPhone and a long-range BT dongle.

Looks interesting. What Bluetooth dongle are you using? And what sort of range can you get with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by klieber View Post
        Looks interesting. What Bluetooth dongle are you using? And what sort of range can you get with it?

Good question.
        Originally posted by rprade
        There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

It's this one:

http://www.bolutek.com/Products_info...=106002&id=302

While not quite the range they claim, I can certainly cover my property and my 2200 sq.ft house.
          Mike

Comment

I have been wanting to use Tasker on my Android Phone for presence detection of the whole house instead of by room.

I currently have Tasker change phone status and settings based on when I connect (or disconnect) to the nearby cell towers. It does not take any extra battery life since it is already connecting to the cell towers near my house when I approach.

I can give you the Tasker setup, you will just need to figure out how to report that change to Homeseer. Once I upgrade to S3 I will try to make both work together.

Comment

I am also trying to get my hands on a wireless Z-wave occupancy sensor made for hotels (ceiling mount with 1-2 year battery life). We use them at work and they are spot on above cubes and in conference rooms.

I would use with a door sensor to specify if a door sensor is tripped and there is no motion then I am away. If the door sensor is tripped followed by motion than I am home.

Just some ideas I am considering and wanted to share.

Comment

Originally posted by Planetview View Post
                I have been wanting to use Tasker on my Android Phone for presence detection of the whole house instead of by room.
                Tasker is Android-only, unfortunately. My wife and I use iOS devices.

Comment

I am also trying to get my hands on a wireless Z-wave occupancy sensor made for hotels (ceiling mount with 1-2 year battery life).
                  Interesting -- I assume you mean this one? I can't find anyone that sells it, unfortunately. If it wasn't too expensive, I'd love to pick up a few of them, though. Would help with some specific areas of my house to determine if anyone was home.

Comment

Originally posted by klieber View Post
                    Interesting -- I assume you mean this one? I can't find anyone that sells it, unfortunately. If it wasn't too expensive, I'd love to pick up a few of them, though. Would help with some specific areas of my house to determine if anyone was home.
                    That's the one. I think they are only sold in bulk so I have to see if facilities can get one or ask the distributor if I can buy an evaluation unit.

We have the dual technology units (non Z-wave) as well but I am afraid of those tripping too much. I can stand still and when I blow sightly or talk they trip. My A/C would be enough to set it off.

Comment

I would also place an override switch next to the door with the Android Tasker method so that guests could put the system in home mode manually for a set amount of time.

Comment

That's the one. I think they are only sold in bulk so I have to see if facilities can get one or ask the distributor if I can buy an evaluation unit.
                        What is special about that model? Is it motion vs presence detection? (presence detectors are supposed to detect when someone leaves too and not depend on timers, right?)

Edit:

Unfortunately...

AUG 05, 2015 | 10:14AM EDT
                        Chris replied:
                        Leo,

Thank you for your interest in our products. Unfortunately, the PIR-100 is not available for sale to residential customers (only to hospitality customers under contract).

You can view which of our products are available for residential purchase at Worthington Distribution: www.worthdist.com; 800-282-8864.

Thank you.

I would also place an override switch next to the door with the Android Tasker method so that guests could put the system in home mode manually for a set amount of time.
                        I use nfc tags w/ android too, and nexa switches (433mhz) for overrides.
                        I'm thinking of adding a signal (lights dimming or blinking, etc) 1 minute before the timer to turn off kicks in, just so users can retrigger if needed.
                        Last edited by LeoS; August 5, 2015, 11:07 AM.
                        HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

Originally posted by mwaite View Post
                          It's this one:

http://www.bolutek.com/Products_info...=106002&id=302

While not quite the range they claim, I can certainly cover my property and my 2200 sq.ft house.

Where do you purchase this from?

We have the dual technology units (non Z-wave) as well but I am afraid of those tripping too much. I can stand still and when I blow sightly or talk they trip. My A/C would be enough to set it off.

I'd be interested to know more about this, how much, and how to purchase too!

Comment

Found this one on eBay:
                            http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Miles-2k...-/251276803350
                            Bryan
                            Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
                            Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by TechHA View Post
                              I was just about to state I purchased mine from E-Bay (years ago). And I believe the price was the same.
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X