• Show
Clear All

HS-WS100+ Incandescent vs LED rating

The HS-WS100+ is rated:
    • 900 watt incandescent
    • 200 watt LED / CFL
    • 1/2 HP motor
    • 1800 watts (15 amp) resistive

Why would it not be able to handle more than 200 watt LED, if it can handle 900w incandescent?

My rear flood light circuit currently has 1000 watts incandescent. It's a 3-way circuit. Looking to change some/all out to LED, but would likely be over 200 watts with LED.
    (this circuit is all of back yard and some on either side of house. I like light when it's needed)

Also taking suggestions for LED flood lights.

Same Question

I have this exact same question. I researched the issue quite a bit and couldn't come up with a definite answer.

I do know the rating is related to the "inrush". I also know it depends on the design of the light. You definitely won't have an issue if you buy a flood that has a capacitor and ballast. At least I believe those are the terms.

It seems if your LED flood says it will work with a variety of voltages then it is probably good to go. I also think if it has a separate box that is somewhat large for circuity that is another good sign.

I bought 4 100W floods thinking my floods were on separate circuits. I found out they were on the same switch. The other switch seems to go nowhere.

I ended up installing 3 of the 4 on the single switch and haven't had any problems. I have no way of measuring the "inrush". I can't find details about it on the lights (or any others) that I have bought.

I do know that you can string a bunch of lights together if they have ballast and capacitor because you don't end up with the all the inrush voltage aligning sometimes.

I have switched mine off and on probably 50 times testing it. No hum, no unusual sounds or heat coming from the switch.

I probably won't push it to all four unless someone can answer this question definitively.

Comment

Which flood lights did you use?

I'm having trouble finding LED ones with a traditional look, but yet comparable output.
      Currently have 100w and 150w halogens?
      I want to go LED, without breaking the bank or losing light. Circuit currently has 1000w on it.

Comment

Sounds like you have 8-10 bulbs currently. Searching on HomeDepot and other places turns up quite a number of LED bulbs with >=90w equivalent and a vast price range. Even the 120w equivalent ones use <20w each. So even if you have 10 bulbs at 20w you're only just hitting that LED limit for the switch.

I have a basement room that has 12 hi-hats in it that used to be all 65w bulbs (780w) so I used to have one of those really expensive Cooper 1000w Z-Wave dimmers on it. That got fried in a power surge and rather than buy another $150 switch, I replaced it with the HSWD100+ and 12 x 9w LEDs. Most of the time we don't have those lights on more than 60% brightness, but it maxes out at 108w now!
        cheeryfool

Comment

I have 4 fixtures, each with two heads.
          Two fixtures have 100w halogens, 1500 lumens each, similar to this:
          https://www.lowes.com/pd/Acclaim-Lig...-Light/4737650

and two fixtures have 150w halogens, 2400 lumens each, similar to this:
          https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-5...ght/1000082761

As an example of LED fixtures, this one is 1200 lumens total, basically half the light output. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-P...ight/999970944

I've considered trying one or two, and mixing with the halogens. Keeping my four 150w heads, and two sets of LED's, it would have me well under 800w.

Comment

Working...
          X