Programming question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Programming question

I got two motion detector floodlights and wired the motion detectors to a zwave relay. When motion is sensed it trips the relay and turns on the light. I can also turn the light on and off remotely using hSTouch to trigger the relay. I wanted both floodlights to go on whenever one was triggered so I programmed my Zee2 so that if the state of motion detector light 1 changed to on it would trigger light 2 to go on. It works perfectly if I turn light 1 on remotely but it does not work if light 1 turns on because motion is detected.

I thought that if the motion detector triggered the relay the controller would pick up the changed state of the light and turn on the second light just like if I turned light 1 on manually but it doesn't. Can anyone tell me why this does not work and what I can do to get it to work?

Sounds like the relay does not support instant status or is not configured to report a state change. Some more info on the relay and perhaps some screen shots of your events would assist in pinpointing the issue.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

The relays are Enerwave relays like this
      http://enerwaveautomation.com/products/zwnrsm2/
      One is a dual relay (which I didn't really need) and the other is a single relay.
      On Amazon, one of the questions was "If the light is turned on or off by hand does the device report the status to the hub or is the on/off status now out of sync?" and the answer from TopGreener (a seller) was "The device will report back to the hub." I would think the motion detector triggering the relay is equivalent to turning the light on by hand since the motion detector is taking the place of a switch.

When I look at the device in the controller and go to the advanced tab it says "Supports status True".
      The programing looks like this:

Event Name: Back yard lights trigger side lights on
      If Back yard zwave floodlights changes and becomes on
      Then Back yard side lights on.

I have a similar program for turning the lights off:
      If Back yard zwave floodlights changes and becomes off
      Then Back yard side lights off.

Comment

Looking at the instructions for the relay, you need to set zwave parameter 3 to 1. It's zero by default, which means it does not send the status updates.

Cheers
        Al

Comment

Thanks. I believe this is what you are referring to in the instructions:
          Unsolicited Report Configuration
          ZWN-RSM
          2-PLUS can send unsolicited status reports to the primary controller (Node ID 0x1) when the switch is toggled if the controller is designed as a gateway. If your controller is not a gateway or does not need the status reported or you think it could confuse your Z-Wave network, you can use Command_Class_Configuration to disable this function. By default this function is disabled.

Configuration Details:
          Parameter number: 3

Parameter size: 1

Parameter value: 0.........................Disabled

1.............Send Broadcast

However I cannot figure out how to change this parameter. I looked at the device under the advanced tab and it says "Status 0 =off", but I don't know how to change it. Any ideas?

Comment

Yes, that's the setting. In the Device Management page, click on the link for the root device. Then go to the z-wave tab and expand the Settings area. Near the bottom in the Set Configuration Parameters section, select 3 in the Parameter Number field, type 1 in the Value field and then click Set.

Cheers
            Al

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	1188735

PS Your settings will likely look a bit different as the screen shot is from a different type of device.

Comment

When I go to the Device Management page, click on the link for the root device and go to the z-wave tab and expand the Settings area, the only thing that appears is "Set how this device responds to all on and all off commands" with a button and a box to change those things. Nothing appears below that; i.e. I do not have a section below that saying "Set Configuration Parameters" like the one shown in your attachment. It is just blank.

What do I do now?

Comment

Originally posted by JCCccc View Post
                When I go to the Device Management page, click on the link for the root device and go to the z-wave tab and expand the Settings area, the only thing that appears is "Set how this device responds to all on and all off commands" with a button and a box to change those things. Nothing appears below that; i.e. I do not have a section below that saying "Set Configuration Parameters" like the one shown in your attachment. It is just blank.

What do I do now?
                What version of the z-wave plugin are you using and which browser are you using? You can always create an event that does the same:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	1188737

Comment

It is Zwave plugin 3.0.1.87.

I looked at creating an event but under Zwave actions I do not have an option for "Set a configuration parameter value." I just have all lights on or off, activate or deactivate a scene, poll a node for status, and suspend or resume automatic polling.

Comment

It is Zwave plugin 3.0.1.87.

I looked at creating an event but under Zwave actions I do not have an option for "Set a configuration parameter value." I just have all lights on or off, activate or deactivate a scene, poll a node for status, and suspend or resume automatic polling.
                    Seems like something is messed up with your z-wave plugin. I would do a backup, then install the latest beta plugin and check again once you have done that. Failing that, I would shut down the z-wave plugin, rename the z-wave2.db file in the data\z-wave folder, restart HS and then re-enable the plugin. The only negative affect with renaming the .db file that I have seen is that scene info gets lost. If you don't use z-wave scenes, then there is no impact.

Cheers
                    Al

Comment

That's a bit over my head.
                      I don't know how to do a backup.
                      To rename the file do I have to use Win SCP to go into the controller and find that file?
                      Where do I find the latest beta?
                      And if I delete the plugin and install the beta will I have to re-pair my zwave devices? They are not where they can be easily reached.

Are you sure the problem does not lie with the relay? The help documentation for the plugin under settings says "Not all devices will have settings, and the settings that are displayed will be different for different types of devices. Some of the settings displayed are based upon the command classes that the device supports, and some are based upon device specific knowledge obtained from the manufacturer. In many cases, a device whose manufacturer specific settings are not known to the plug-in can still be configured through the use of the Configuration command class option at the bottom of the settings (if the device supports the Configuration command class).... The last setting will always be shown if the device supports the configuration command class, as this is what is typically used "under the hood" for all of the other settings displayed in a more user-friendly fashion on the page. It is this one which you can use if it is displayed, for configuring any setting in a device regardless of whether custom settings for a device were presented above it."

Not sure this is the issue because I also have a Leviton Zwave plug and it also does not show configuration under settings.

Maybe the relay does not support the configuration command class and that is why it does not appear under settings.

Comment

Just found this thread with a guy who did something similar with motion detector floodlights using the same relay.
                        https://forums.homeseer.com/showthre...instant+status

It supported instant status for him, but he did not say how he enabled it.

Comment

That's a bit over my head.
                          I don't know how to do a backup.
                          To rename the file do I have to use Win SCP to go into the controller and find that file?
                          Where do I find the latest beta?
                          And if I delete the plugin and install the beta will I have to re-pair my zwave devices? They are not where they can be easily reached.

Are you sure the problem does not lie with the relay? The help documentation for the plugin under settings says "Not all devices will have settings, and the settings that are displayed will be different for different types of devices. Some of the settings displayed are based upon the command classes that the device supports, and some are based upon device specific knowledge obtained from the manufacturer. In many cases, a device whose manufacturer specific settings are not known to the plug-in can still be configured through the use of the Configuration command class option at the bottom of the settings (if the device supports the Configuration command class).... The last setting will always be shown if the device supports the configuration command class, as this is what is typically used "under the hood" for all of the other settings displayed in a more user-friendly fashion on the page. It is this one which you can use if it is displayed, for configuring any setting in a device regardless of whether custom settings for a device were presented above it."

Not sure this is the issue because I also have a Leviton Zwave plug and it also does not show configuration under settings.

Maybe the relay does not support the configuration command class and that is why it does not appear under settings.
                          Yes, use WinSCP and you can backup all your HS files with it as well. The beta can be found under Plug-Ins - Manage and then the Beta section near the bottom. You don't need to re-pair any z-wave devices with updates to the z-wave plugin.

If the device supports parameters, then the only way to set those would be using the Configuration command class. I just checked the z-wave website and the ZWN-RSM2 is not listed there, so not yet certified. The ZWN-RSM1 is listed there and it does not support the Configuration command class, but its instructions also don't refer to that parameter. If you don't have any devices that support the command class, then yes, the event option would not be shown.

Cheers
                          Al

Comment

Can I just disable the existing plugin and install the beta?
                            I also sent an email to enerwave. Let's see what they say too.

Comment

Can I just disable the existing plugin and install the beta?
                              I also sent an email to enerwave. Let's see what they say too.
                              The plugin can't be installed in parallel. Whether it is enabled or disabled won't mater, it'll overwrite the existing plugin files. I would use WinSCP to copy all of the HS files first.

Would be interesting to see what Enerwave comes back with.

Cheers
                              Al

Comment

Working...
                              X