No announcement yet.

The Elderly Gentleman's Club or Old Farts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first alarm panel had something like 48 zones with a speech library which was the recorded voice of the developer's secretary of said alarm board with an X10 interface. I left the manual and alarm panel at the old house. The board itself was 4 times larger than the HAI OPII board. Programming was via just plain buttons on the alarm board and a bunch of LEDs. Very primitive.

It was the 1980's and the kids gave the computer voice a name at the time. I had four speakers connected to it; Separate garage, 2nd floor, main floor and basement.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      My first alarm panel had something like 48 zones with a speech library which was the recorded voice of the developer's secretary of said alarm board with an X10 interface. I left the manual and alarm panel at the old house. The board itself was 4 times larger than the HAI OPII board. Programming was via just plain buttons on the alarm board and a bunch of LEDs. Very primitive.

It was the 1980's and the kids gave the computer voice a name at the time. I had four speakers connected to it; Separate garage, 2nd floor, main floor and basement.
      I wrote my first securty system on a NEW commodore 64, with speach add-on and a HUGE 180K external floppy drive. I used the iEEE bus on the back and polled for trips. What a trip that was, hooked to my tv in my bedroom

"Those were the day's"
      -Skybolt

Comment

I didnt do things like you guys have..

however.. at 18.. i started working on computers in a guys basement... 1993...
        fixing ibm ps2, valuepoint computers, memory expansion cards, token ring cards...

using a schematic, oscilloscope and a lot of thinking... hah..
        now a days.. just throw it away and buy a new one...

replacing 72pin simm sockets really sucked.. but got good at replacing surface mount chips with 2 heat guns and flux..

oh p.s. i hit the el big ole 4-0 today!
        HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post

oh p.s. i hit the el big ole 4-0 today!
          Happy Birthday Jeff.
          You realize it all starts to fall apart from here.

Fruit of the Loom --> Depends
          Budweiser --> Geritol
          Orange Juice --> Metamucil
          Colgate --> Poligrip
          Cool Sunglasses --> Bifocals
          Corn Flakes --> All Bran
          etc.

Then there's
          Late night parties --> late night bathroom trips.
          Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Happy Birthday Jeff.

Geez you getting are up there in age. Wow 40; almost at the half century now.

I forget (age thing ?) who is the keeper of the "The Elderly Gentleman's Club or Old Farts" membership; Gordon?

Maybe Wadenut knows (he's closer to the century mark these days)....

Here intro to computers was playing Star Trek (so slow.....) on a teletype machine is broom closet next to the physics labs at school...with little "terminals" by the "mothership" literally across the campus (blocks away?) having only a slideruler as a "portable" battery free computer in those days....
            Last edited by Pete; January 3, 2013, 07:32 AM.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
              Happy Birthday Jeff.

Geez you getting are up there in age. Wow 40; almost at the half century now.

I forget (age thing ?) who is the keeper of the "The Elderly Gentleman's Club or Old Farts" membership; Gordon?

Maybe Wadenut knows (he's closer to the century mark these days)....
              If I did I'd be going after my old man badge. I'm sure it's just an oversight... whoever you are. I'm old and I've been doing HA of some sort since the '70s.

Comment

I think there are two groups (hence two badges); HA Pioneer Club and Crotchety Old Man. I am guessing from the OP that the HA Pioneer Club is moderated maybe by Gordon...I don't know though where the "Crotchety Old Man" badge came from these days...
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

... oh p.s. i hit the el big ole 4-0 today!
                  Not so bad, I hit the even bigger one last year, a year ago tomorrow.

Happy birthday fellow Capricorn!
                  -Skybolt

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
                    Happy Birthday Jeff.
                    You realize it all starts to fall apart from here.

Fruit of the Loom --> Depends ==> Freelance
                    Budweiser --> Geritol ==> Sorry still micro beer and home brew!!!!
                    Orange Juice --> Metamucil ==> forget what the wife uses.. oh sheeze there goes my mind..
                    Colgate --> Poligrip ==> redneck.. sorry dont brush.. mouthwash with american honey
                    Cool Sunglasses --> Bifocals ==> lookin at trifocals now!!!!
                    Corn Flakes --> All Bran => dont over due on fiber one.. once ate 4 servings for breakfast and 4 for lunch.. i had plenty of "thinking" time
                    etc.

Then there's
                    Late night parties --> late night bathroom trips.
                    at 38 started throwing my back out...
                    at 39 loosing eye site..
                    at 40.. gonna loose what???

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Here threw out my back sometime when I was 18....the methodologies of correction back then were to do a laminectomy (kind of invasive) or a bit of exercise to strengthen the paravertebral muscles (just really sit ups and leg raises). Or a pain pill or an anti inflammatory do wat.

I exercised some and never really have had similiar type back problems

...basically doing a laminectomy is kind of like using your rotary power tool on your spine between your vertebra in a type of clean up effort...just being careful not to sever/nick one of your lumbar nerves..
                      Last edited by Pete; January 3, 2013, 10:27 AM.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

at 38 started throwing my back out...
                        at 39 loosing eye site..
                        at 40.. gonna loose what???
                        We have to keep the worst a secret at this point to keep you from getting depressed (it involves a finger ). I'm 56 1/2... guess where I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
                          We have to keep the worst a secret at this point to keep you from getting depressed (it involves a finger ). I'm 56 1/2... guess where I am.
                          umm that is where your wrong... hah..

who says that is a worst and kept as a secret? buy me dinner first

seriously.. my gfather passed from that type of cancer.. and my father was caught early... so guess what that means at 40 for me vs 50 for most others...

wow were way off topic now!!!! hmmm i think im going to setup the maintenance script to speak out loud a countdown per day and call it the 1 finger salute!

Comment

I considered this movie a "chick flick" and didn't want to go see it.

I was pleasantly surprised.

Megan Fox (very nice eye candy) plays herself.

You may be already past some of this stuff though....

This is 40 (2012)

Notice what happens when "mom" sets rules down for the kids relating to access to the internet via the various computers and IPads in the movie.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                            X