WS-200+ Paddle Not Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WS-200+ Paddle Not Working

I have a two-month old WS-200+ that the paddle has stopped responding. Switch can control the load remotely (an exhaust fan), but pushing the paddle does not do anything at all. LED stays on, and there is no log entry for any paddle pushes.

Oddly enough, there ARE random log entries that show a value of 2001 and 2002 (Scene 2 Key Pressed, Scene 2 Key Released) while no one is anywhere near the switch. I think the unit is bad, and needs to be replaced. Any suggestions?

Try rescanning the device from the root zwave tab. Try cycling the power to the device at the breaker panel. exclude it and reinclude it.

If I'm not mistaken these have interchangeable faceplates. Try removing the plate/paddle and looking for something mechanically interfering with it. Let us know if any of that works and others may have some suggestions as well.
    HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
    Number of Devices: 1005
    Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaddox View Post
      Try rescanning the device from the root zwave tab. Try cycling the power to the device at the breaker panel. exclude it and reinclude it.

If I'm not mistaken these have interchangeable faceplates. Try removing the plate/paddle and looking for something mechanically interfering with it. Let us know if any of that works and others may have some suggestions as well.
      I cycled power to it this morning, and it fixed the issue. I genuinely hope this isn't going to be an ongoing issue, because the primary reason I have started buying HS switches is to replace a bunch of Enerwave Plus units that lock up in the exact same way, and I was sick of cycling power to them. Enerwave's only solution to this was to periodically poll the switch root, but this did not work all the time and eventually they would lock up one by one.

For all the great features of the HS switches, this one would be a deal breaker for me buying more of them if they have the same problem.

Comment

Has this continued to happen for you? I installed a WS200 around mid April and since it has locked up 3 times. The first 2 times I lost all control of the switch. This time I can still control it remotely but the paddles do nothing.

Power cycling fixed the first 2, I haven’t cycled the power yet this time.

Comment

Originally posted by dilbert View Post
          Has this continued to happen for you? I installed a WS200 around mid April and since it has locked up 3 times. The first 2 times I lost all control of the switch. This time I can still control it remotely but the paddles do nothing.

Power cycling fixed the first 2, I haven’t cycled the power yet this time.
          Yep, still continues to happen with this one switch. Power cycling it fixes it for a while, but then it reverts to the same problem.

Comment

I just want to add that this happened to one of my WS200s as well. Power cycling at the breaker brought it back. But for the price they charge for these things, this is completely unacceptable.

Comment

I had this issue with a device from another vendor. It turned out to be something caused by the load causing the switch to lock up. They mentioned it was ESD but I am not sure I understand how a load can cause an ESD event... Eitherway, once they put the appropriate protection (hardware change), the issue was resolved. The issue was more frequent when controlling fans, Neon lights, and poor quality or old design LED lights (less frequently). Changing the neons to LED fixed the issue, and changing the LED to a better LED also did the trick but changing fans was not an option.

I recently had this happen in a bathroom where the HS-WS200+ was controlling a fan. Power cycling it solved the issue but if it is the same issue as the other vendor, then it is bound to happen again. I am guessing that many of these devices use a "reference design" so they are all likely quite similar if not the same. Also, the WS200 and WD200 use identical casings to other vendors... I wonder if the actual manufacturer is common between these vendors, and maybe part of the design as well.

EDIT: I avoid Enerwave products as well for this exact reason. I got sick of having to power cycle my breaker to get the device working again!

Comment

This continues to happen with my WS200. I am controlling a ceiling fan. Power cycling brings back control but that only lasts for a few days to a couple weeks and it breaks again. Control via Z-Wave has not stopped working, just local paddle control. Very frustrating to be toggling breakers at this frequency. I may replace the switch with a fan controller and hope it works better controlling a different load.

Comment

rjh - My WS200 has stopped responding to paddle pressed a second time in a couple months just like others reported in this thread. I tried controlling the switch remotely and it controls the load properly (a bathroom exhaust fan). At the same time the WS200 stopped working properly an Enerwave outlet, that is notorious for freezing up after momentary power outages, has frozen up. Is HomeSeer looking into these reports? When I contacted support I was only told the obvious.... power cycle/rest and that should fix the issue... it does but it is also unacceptable to have to power cycle the switch at the breaker every time it locks up.

Comment

I have many WS200, WD200 and WA100 devices in my house. I have had no issues like you describe. If it continues to happen, it could be a defective unit. There is a one year warranty.

It is unlikely, but it could be power fluctuations like brown outs that can cause electronic products behave strangely. Not saying this is the problem but if different products from different manufacturers are experiencing the same issue it could be a localized issue.

Comment

So if you power cycle it, it comes back ok? I am not aware of many reports like this but I will check with our support. We are working on an update to the firmware which should be out soon, still testing for some issues. So it would be interesting to note if the issue is still there after the update.

Originally posted by aruffell View Post
                      rjh - My WS200 has stopped responding to paddle pressed a second time in a couple months just like others reported in this thread. I tried controlling the switch remotely and it controls the load properly (a bathroom exhaust fan). At the same time the WS200 stopped working properly an Enerwave outlet, that is notorious for freezing up after momentary power outages, has frozen up. Is HomeSeer looking into these reports? When I contacted support I was only told the obvious.... power cycle/rest and that should fix the issue... it does but it is also unacceptable to have to power cycle the switch at the breaker every time it locks up.
                      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

rjh Yes, if I power cycle it starts working again.

drhtmal As mentioned above I have had other devices freeze up and I had found lots of other people reporting the same issues. The manufacturer of the motion switch was able to replicate my issue (device totally unresponsive) in the lab and corrected it by adding ESD protection to the circuit.

With regards to the Enerwave outlets, I do not know whether the issue was ever addressed. I've read of many others suffering from frozen outlets though so I know I am not alone. I just quit buying their outlets and replaced all but one with Jasco outlets. I do miss the energy metering but I hated having to power down the house to restore them.

This thread was started by others reporting that the paddles on the WS200 stopped working, which is exactly what I am seeing too as I am still able to turn the load on/off via my phone but not pressing the physical buttons.

I have 9 WS-200 installed at home and this particular one is the only one that has stopped responding to paddle presses twice in a couple months. I am currently on firmware 5.10 (beta) and will gladly try to next upcoming revision however not being able to induce the issue, my ability to verify whether it is fixed or not will be limited.

Comment

I am looking into this, do you know who in support you spoke with and do you have a ticket #? I talked to the support guys and they have not had a report of this. For anyone following this thread, please make sure you send an email to support@homeseer.com so we can log these issues. We will not investigate an issue unless some number of reports come in. I see the report in this thread but we don't monitor all threads.

drhtmal As mentioned above I have had other devices freeze up and I had found lots of other people reporting the same issues. The manufacturer of the motion switch was able to replicate my issue (device totally unresponsive) in the lab and corrected it by adding ESD protection to the circuit.

With regards to the Enerwave outlets, I do not know whether the issue was ever addressed. I've read of many others suffering from frozen outlets though so I know I am not alone. I just quit buying their outlets and replaced all but one with Jasco outlets. I do miss the energy metering but I hated having to power down the house to restore them.

This thread was started by others reporting that the paddles on the WS200 stopped working, which is exactly what I am seeing too as I am still able to turn the load on/off via my phone but not pressing the physical buttons.

I have 9 WS-200 installed at home and this particular one is the only one that has stopped responding to paddle presses twice in a couple months. I am currently on firmware 5.10 (beta) and will gladly try to next upcoming revision however not being able to induce the issue, my ability to verify whether it is fixed or not will be limited.

Comment

Please open a ticket with support@homeseer.com so we can swap out your switch, it might be a defective device.

Originally posted by dilbert View Post
                            This continues to happen with my WS200. I am controlling a ceiling fan. Power cycling brings back control but that only lasts for a few days to a couple weeks and it breaks again. Control via Z-Wave has not stopped working, just local paddle control. Very frustrating to be toggling breakers at this frequency. I may replace the switch with a fan controller and hope it works better controlling a different load.

Comment

Ok, we found your ticket, did you get the WS200 swapped out? They think that it was.

Comment

Working...
                              X