Question about 3 way switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about 3 way switches

Here is my question for any electrically knowledgeable people.

I have a location in my hallway that has 2 3 way switches with traveler wires between them.

I changed them to INsteon switches where one switch controls the load and the other switch acts as a virtual 3 way switch.

My wife hates it because the virtual switch has quite a lag and she's compaling about the diff in responsiveness between the 2 switches.

So my question is can I put a regular insteon switch at the virtual 3 way location so that either one of the switches control the load directly and not have to rely on a "virtual switch"?

If I understand correctly, that is basically what happens with a regular hard wired 3 way switch? can that be duplicated with insteon ( or for that matter z wave ) switches?
    jjsmd@yahoo.com

Originally posted by jjsmd View Post
    Here is my question for any electrically knowledgeable people.

I have a location in my hallway that has 2 3 way switches with traveler wires between them.

I changed them to INsteon switches where one switch controls the load and the other switch acts as a virtual 3 way switch.

My wife hates it because the virtual switch has quite a lag and she's compaling about the diff in responsiveness between the 2 switches.

So my question is can I put a regular insteon switch at the virtual 3 way location so that either one of the switches control the load directly and not have to rely on a "virtual switch"?

If I understand correctly, that is basically what happens with a regular hard wired 3 way switch? can that be duplicated with insteon ( or for that matter z wave ) switches?
    jjsmd,

do you have the two switches cross-linked? if you do, you should not see any delay from the virtual switch. also, the old traveler wire should be capped on both ends.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I do have them cross linked ( i'm not sure what you mean by cross linked. I put the switch in blinking mode (insteon) and then pair it with the virtual switch but I have been using the Insteon switch in X10 mode so far)) ,
      but the virtual one does take quite a bit longer.
      jjsmd@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by jjsmd View Post
        I do have them cross linked ( i'm not sure what you mean by cross linked. I put the switch in blinking mode (insteon) and then pair it with the virtual switch but I have been using the Insteon switch in X10 mode so far)) ,
        but the virtual one does take quite a bit longer.
        sounds like you only have the primary linked to the virtual. you need to link the virtual back to the primary as well. cross-linking is A linked to B, and B linked to A.

Seems like you have both switches assigned the same x10 address thus you are relying on x10 from the virtual to trigger the primary (thus the delay)

you should only use x10 to report status back to homeseer, or to control the lights from homeseer, but not for comm between them.
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Working...
        X