UPB support, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rupp,

Yes, we are carrying the UPB switches - http://automatedoutlet.com/home.php?cat=128
    Martin Custer

Comment

Sorry , I may be missing the point here but WHO CARES if the light you asked to turn on , goes on in .5 seconds or .25 seconds, all I would want to know, and probally most people is DOES it actually go on? and every time?

does anyone actually have UPB light switches in theire homes? and more importantly, has anyone used a UPB to replace an x10 light switch that just didnt seem to get the signal? how did it work?
      detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

I agree that the emphasis on speed is somewhat overblown. The only time I've seen any problem with speed is when you have a combination of motion detector reaction time + X10 transmittion time + non-zero ramp rate on a switch.

Point #1
        UPB is designed for todays powerline environment, unlike x10 which was designed back in a time when the biggest problem they had to worry about was dinosaurs getting tangled in the transmittion lines. ACT designed UPB to function in a noisy powerline environment. Not being tied to the zero crossing of the AC cycle goes a long way toward fixing some of the problems of X10.

Point #2
        UPB has gained support from several of the companies that work with professional integrators. That is a good comment on the quality and possible future of UPB.

Point #3
        This entire thread has really gotten out of hand. Tink has removed his foot from his mouth, Rick has stated that UPB support is going to happen, so it's time for the rest of us to drop it and go back to figuring out how to con more HA goddies out of Santa Claus.
        My system is described in my profile.

Comment

I guess the problem comes into play when you attempt to control multiple devices. With X10, you can address 16 lights, then send an ON command. They all come on at the same time. Granted, it might take a while to address each light, but the end result is much more pleasing than having each light go on sequentially. From my understanding of UPB, you can't do this. What you need to do is create special commands that you would load into each module. HS would then have to send this command to trigger all the lights. This means HS no longer creates the scenes, you need to program the scene to each device. Not saying this is good or bad, just different, and HS will need to have some kind of user interface to program this.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

AMEN! JLehnert

Comment

Upb

I have installed a UPB switch to replace an X10 that doesn't work. I haven't figured out how to control it yet. However, it responds faster to a manual touch than the x10 switch did. So far, I am very impressed.

Mike

Comment

2-way communication with Z-wave

Outomated Outlet wrote:
                Richard, I may be wrong but I don't believe that's true. The 2-way issue is not a technology issue, it's a patent issue with Lutron that doesn't allow 2-way communication of RF based light switches.

I know we had a discussion about this regarding the way motion sensors would work within Z-wave. The answer back then was that there is a patent issue with a *broadcast* of signals, but there is no problem with patent issues is a swich has 2 or more associated nodes.

I certainly hope the concept of associated nodes works, otherwise motion sensors or fire sensors are not possible within Z-wave.

The only answer I have never found is if it is possible to assign the USB Z-wave controller as a secondary node.

I found some old threads regarding the concept of associated nodes:
                The discussion about associated nodes
                The thread were I found that association classes are supported from Z-wave spec 1.24 and onward.
                Some more talk about association nodes (look for Rick Tinkers' response).

I could not find any thread wich answers the question if a USB Z-wave controller can be assigned to a switch as an associated node. Does anyone on the board know this answer?

Richard

Comment

Richard,
                  You may want to move this question to the ZWave forum. This question was for UPB support.

Comment

Jim,

Foot was never in mouth! My comments were just misinterpreted!
                    Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Richard,

You can associate a device with HS if the device supports it. For example, with the ZTW100 wall switch transmitter, HS automatically sets up an association between the switch and HS. When someone turns the switch ON or OFF, HS is updated immediately.

Comment

mikemeer,

Did you buy a UPB controller also? Or just the switch. The CM11 will not work for UPB.
                        My system is described in my profile.

Comment

I bought the controller and 20 switches. I will end up buying another 10 to completely replace everything. Each switch can be setup into 16 separate scenes programmed via computer.

I am working with someone to develop basic interface. Will keep the forum posted.
                          Last edited by mikemeer; December 18, 2004, 12:57 AM.

Comment

one of the most important elements that never seem to get discussed when selecting a lighting solution is the AESTHETICS.

when i am looking for a lighting solution for a 1, 2 or 3 million dollar home (or cottages around here) i can't sell ugly switches that come in only colors white or ivory and/or don't operate at all like a normal dimmer and/or clunk when operated.

1) the X10 pro switches have ALL those problems

2) personally, i find the UPB and Z-Wave switches to be (speaking politely) .... unattractive.

3) the Smartlinc switches are nice but can be a pain to have to program (or re-program as often happens due to power outages, spikes, etc. - in fact i lose about 2 a year that turn into nothing more than an expensive dimmer addressed to A1 that cannot be re-programmed)

IMHO nothing comes close to the asthetics and feel, funtionality, programabilty and reliabilty of the Compose system. They are truly beautiful switches. besides, you can even operate the scene controls with an IR remote.

my $0.02 fwiw

---
                            i forgot to mention. when someone comes out with switches as nice to look at and operate as the Compose system in UPB i will start using UPB. i want that reliabilty. i may start using them now in closets, garages, boathouses and bunkies.
                            Last edited by ; December 18, 2004, 09:21 AM.

Comment

bwally,

I don't understand why you think UPB and X10 switches are different than a Compose switch. They all look like standard decora switches. What am I missing?

Mike

Comment

bwally,
                                Where are you from? Can you update your profile to indicate this please?

Comment

Working...
                                X