Broke down and bought it.. so poor now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broke down and bought it.. so poor now!

I knew just after 2 weeks of using this forum and the software that Homeseer was a fit. I just spent $400 tonite!! OUCH!

HomeSeer
    DooMotion Plugin
    Media Player Plugin
    WebCam Plugin

Mainlobby
    Mainlobby Plugin
    Weblobby

Now to stop buying and start programming! Thanks for the help everyone. I hope i don't become too annoying over the next few years and can start returning the mentoring help.

-Chris

Be careful it's a slippery slope.

Comment

Be careful it's a slippery slope.
      Not to worry. By the sounds, Ozy is already down the slope, off the edge, and into free-fall.
      My system is described in my profile.

Comment

Welcome aboard! Another person with an unhealthy obsession for gadgets!! Assimilation was inevitable.
        Last edited by ; April 6, 2005, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Hello, my name is Scott and I'm a Homeseer junkie.

I found that I can fight this addiction by concentrating on getting the things, I bought, working before buying other stuff. But as you can tell from some of my posts, I keep buying stuff too. Welcome to Homeseer.

I get things working and then take a break, and enjoy the automation for a while and then THIS BOARD gets me going again.
          A computer's attention span is as long
          as it's powercord.

Comment

Hi Scott - Thanks for sharing.

Does HS have a 12 step plan?

Comment

Yes.

(Adopted from the 12 step program for Microsoft addiction)

1. We admitted we were powerless over Homeseer - resistance is futile.
              2. We came to believe that a Smarthome could restore us to sanity.
              3. We made a decision to turn our computer systems over to the wiring closet.
              4. We made a searching and fearless inventory of our events and script files.
              5. We admitted to tech support, to ourselves, and to another users our inability to script and use hs.shutdown.
              6. We were entirely ready to have manual light switches removed from our houses.
              7. We humbly installed Homeseer.
              8. We made a list of all the things that would increase the WAF.
              9. We created scripts where possible, and bought plugins when needed.
              10. We continued to take personal inventory and compare our systems to Rupp's.
              11. We sought through online user's, board postings, whitepapers, and HOWTOS to improve our conscious knowledge of Homeseer, searching only for understanding and the power to improve data security, system stability, and personal freedom.
              12. Having had a computational awakening as the result of MWhistle's accomplishements, we tried to carry this message to our families and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
              as it's powercord.

Comment

we need levels of addiction:

level 1: have homeseer on my general use computer controling a few things
                level 2: Have a dedicated homeseer computer turning on lights and stuff
                level 3: Dedicated homeseer running criutical stuff like AC systems, lights, door locks, TV, Music system
                level 4: Dedicated room or closet with homeseer and associated components running 90% of the house. if homeseer shuts down so does most of the house

Level 5: A shrine is built around homeseer, your wedding vows include love cherise and update homesser, you are willing to pimp the wife out to be able to afford that one last peice of automation equipment. Nasa uses your house for mission training systems. The FBI thinks any day the house will try to take over the block and demad rights.

which level are YOU ?
                detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

Ya I guess I might need to get into a program of some sort. The wife already thinks some of this stuff is "Silly". I've been working with the X10 since last Nov, but this is the first automation package that actually works as described. I've had no luck with x10's ActiveHomePro & Smarthome's Manager automation packages. Now time to put them up on eBay to help refund some of the cost of the HS purchase.

Comment

oooh eBay to recoup costs, so I spend more on Homeseer. . . . I like, I like.
                    as it's powercord.

Comment

Level 4:

Easily level four: Wire closet has moved into the laundry room. I have to schedule my weekend programing around the wife doing laundry and have to leave the room for an hour every time the cat craps. I'm thinking that the cat can stay out side and the wife could go to the coin ops. At that point I would hit 4.1.

Comment

another way to look at the WAF opportunities

...all the words have been used before , I am just rearranging them around at this time and place to try to have meaning ...."

A WAF Sub Fourm might really help the very real condition that most non-automation people really just don't like it, they avoid having it around them.

But when a small addition such as "coming home to a lighted house" works
                        they are just beginning to consider HA might have a place.

Many on this board have had WAF losses and gains ..... I would be interested to learn more. It is a real part of some HA environments or not.
                        HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.258

Comment

My experience is that when you add anything to your home automation system the family will complain.... and within a month of adding it when it stops working for any reason they will complain harder.... thats how you measure success.

John
                          John

Comment

The things my wife likes:

Announcements to my daughter to do her homework, go to bed etc.
                            Announcements that tomorrow is trashday.
                            Announcements that there is someone at the front door. (photobeams)
                            Coming home to a lighted house.
                            My wiring wall because it has a place for her to plugin her cell phone.
                            Announcment that it is time to get up (when her alarm clock did not go off)
                            Weather announcements and 10 day forecast on touchscreen in the kitchen.
                            Announcements that the garage door and/or front door was not locked properly.

I probably shouldnt go into what she doesnt like. It is a little longer. Mostly having to do with unreliable lighting controls. Both X10 and Zwave.
                            as it's powercord.

Comment

Well,

I would have to say level 4 addiction I think.
                              Probably closer to 4.5, with 2 wiring closets, dedicated cooled cabinets for computer equipment. UPS's capable of running for days.

And at least a 3 dozen extra wires run to the wire closets just waiting in the attic to be used.

StevenE
                              Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

Working...
                              X