No announcement yet.

Z-Net turning lights on/off by itself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That could be it, if the router was to spontaneously reboot all the connections will drop for a minute or so. On my router there is an administration page where I can see how long its been up for. You might look for something similar.

Comment

Installed a new router and no overnight messages. I will wait a couple of days before claiming victory.

Thanks for all the help.

Barry

Comment

On a newer managed switch you can watch packets in and packets out and dropping packets. The hardware issues pieces can be broadcast storms or even just bad network cable wiring.

For testing the cabling the newer style checkers that used to be expensive and now are cheap work better than the old just an LED lamp for continuity. Newer checkers show correct pairing or mismatches in pairing and length of cable run. This is important too for a POE connection.

For USB to RPi connections here now hard set the connections to the specific device ID connected and create a symlink easy name to remember such that it never changes on reboot.

IE: the attic RPi has a ZWave GPIO card, Maxim 9097 and SDR radion. The GPIO connection never changes on a reboot where as the USB connection can change on a reboot depending on the device and power utilized by the device.

such that the Maxim 9097 rather than a /dev/ttyUSBX name it uses a /dev/maxim9097 name and the SDR radio uses a /dev/sdrnoaa name.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Z-Net turning lights on/off by itself-Solved

Another quite day, so I'm declaring victory. Replacing the router appears to have solved the network issues. Haven't heard from the panel vendor since I returned it for testing.

Pete, it has been so long since I have had any network issues that I was lulled into thinking the problems where elsewhere. I over-wired way back in 1996 and have probably only made a half-dozen or so additions or changes since.

I suspect I should be thinking about the main switch with something more modern.

Barry

Comment

Yeah I sort of lean towards a touch screen issue as I have seen it here occassionally with my 15 always on 24/7 Homeseer Touch screens.

Here tinkered a bit with a large resistive type screen made for POS and it probably would work better with temperature extremes.

Here it's been a few years now that I have played with different types of touchscreens for work stuff (1990's originally).

Started tinkering way back with sure bet light pens that worked 100% in the 1990's.

That and my DIY'd POE ZWave RPi2/Stretch in the attic with a ZWave GPIO card never has any transport issues. It is a very simple set up and today pushing it a bit using a 9097/OWFS/Node Red and an SDR radio doing the NOAA mapping with no issues these days.

That said though too all of my light switches today are still using powerline UPB (X10 for Christmas) and mostly here just tinker with ZWave and Zigbee stuff and lately a bit with wireless tiny SonOff switches and MQTT (guessing limited wireless range on these).
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

This is somewhat different, so be aware....

I have a Zee S2 (it controls NO Z-Wave devices nowdays), and from what I know it is the same hardware as the Z-Net. In my Zee S2, I have the same challenge. One lamp could be turned on, or off, for a non logical reason (no event, no manual, no HSTouch, no nothing). I have spent some time trying to solve this, and NO I still have this.

In my new HS3, running in a virtual server on Ubuntu, this has gone away, and on this new HS3 site I do NOT use Z-Net or my Zee S2 (I'm using USB over IP from server host till server guest and a Z-Wave.MeUSB Stick).

I still have to migrate my media system control to this new HS3 - however as I wrote above: New system has NO problems.

And by the way, neither of the systems has internet connection, they are sitting behind a firewall so only accessible if one is on the inside...

Comment

If you're connecting to your Z-NET, or any Pi for that matter, you have to remember that they don't have the best WiFi performance with it comes to the RF section. The antenna is quite small and if you don't have good WiFi coverage in your home the Pi is gong to be at a serious disadvantage.

I've been doing a total rebuild of my entire homeWiFi network, with still more Access Points (AP) to add, and I actually starting to get good coverage just about every place in my home. Since my APs are not part of my router I'm able to place them just about anyplace I can get a wired connection, currently my main AP is on the ceiling in my upstair hall that overlooks most of the downstairs area.

You can also go with a mesh WiFi system but it should be from a really good manufacture but it will never be as good as hardwired APs.

So if you're WiFi router is just sitting on a desk someplace it's unlikely you're going to get good coverage.

All of that said you can get WiFi performance from your Z-NET. Connect into your Z-NET using ssh as user pi and the default password unless you've changed it, and see what you're connection look using the following builtin function. CTRL "C" exits the command.

Code:
                watch -n 1 cat /proc/net/wireless
                If you just want a quick looks then use:
                Code:
                $iwconfig wlan0
                If you want more information then install wavemon which is a monitoring application for wireless network devices.

Code:
                $sudo apt-get install wavemon

$sudo wavemon
                Wavemon will give you a lot of information about your network however don't leave it running all the time.
                HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
                Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
                3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
                4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
                3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
                SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

@Timon - do observer that OP, and for that matter even my Zee S2, is hardwired (ethernet cable) so for us this is not the issue.

Comment

I'm using USB over IP from server host till server guest and a Z-Wave.MeUSB Stick

Curious what you are using as a server host?

Firmware device? Software? OS?
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                      I'm using USB over IP from server host till server guest and a Z-Wave.MeUSB Stick

Curious what you are using as a server host?

Firmware device? Software? OS?

Server Host: Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS
                      Server Guest: Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS

Firmware - I have no idea - never had any problems, and I think I have owned this UZB stick for at least a year, maybe two (I got this stick more or less after I found out it is a gen5 device). I had no problems with this Z-Wave.me UZB stick - it been solid from the word go (and now I guess I will have to eat up my words, this can not be good ). Anyway HS3 (without Pro).

Comment

Ahhh...yes here using first Z-Wave.me GPIO card for the RPi....maybe 2-3 years old now..Linux Stretch to Linux Ubuntu 16.04....

It has not been any issues here with the POE connected RPi2 in the attic with extreme temperatures in the winter and summer. I have yet to update the firmware on it.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                        X